What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I sold the Brass Karve with c,d and e plates,as it wasn't efficient as I liked. Now I'm wondering about the SS with the G plate. I seem to like/ need efficient razors to get the better shaves.

There is a chemical reaction that occurs with dissimilar metals that causes corrosion. You can see it on the copper pipes in your basement. Copper pipe needs copper pipe straps which needs copper screws. A lot of times you can see corrosion on the copper straps where a non copper nail is used to fasten it. I have a Karve with a stainless handle and used a nylon washer in between. Works fine.

To further sidetrack, I just want to mention that my Karve brass 3" handle is one of my favorites in the den... And relatively inexpensive.

Karve , and few other modern razor manufacturers use #10-32 threads.

Vintage Gillettes and many other vintage razors have the
obsolete 3/16” NF 32 ,which is
almost identical to #10-32 threads.

Fatip,Joris and all the rest “Fatip-clones” have the weird
M4.5x0.75 threads.

Vintage Gibbs use the even more weird M5x0.9

All the rest use the “standard “
M5x0.8

There’s no serious galvanic corrosion issues between SAE/AISI 300 series stainless steels and brass or bronze alloys,when tap water is the electrolyte .

A handle with M5x0.8 will fit
a cap with #10-32 threads,but
will not be able to fully tighten.
The fit will be somewhat loose.

A #10-32 handle will not fit a cap with M5x0.8 threads.

Some Fatip caps and/or some clones ,due to increased plating thickness ,might engage with a standard threaded M5x0.8 handle.
But only some.

Last edited:
I have the brass G plate, thanks to Romanex01, and what a nice efficient and smooth head it is. Gives my R41 a run for its money, a little smoother even I think. Well worth a try. Very pleased with the results.

I glanced at the website for a few minutes. I'll have to look at them more. Tell me about them. How do you guys like them? They look pretty expensive.

You’ll pay and then wait 3-5 months before you receive one with little information about why these were stated to be “in-stock”.

I would look elsewhere. Blackbird, Yates, Henson: All much better razors, with much better customer service IMO.

Thanks. I haven't heard of any of those lol.

The Karve CB is also considered one of the best modern razors out there. Objectively lesser customer communication. There's a dedicated 'Karve Diem' post in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section. You can read all the love and drama there (mostly love of the razor versus much longer than wanted shipping/shipping communication). Personally, I have never had to wait more than two months for any product from this small company (it was always worth it). Others have.

I ordered the brass one from them. At that time, the stainless steel and aluminum were available as pre-ordered. So I assumed the brass was in stock and was going to ship right away.

Well, I was wrong, it took about 2 months and a lot of frustration in between. That was the bad part.

The good part is that after all the wait and frustration I finally got it. It is one of the very best razors out there. It competes head to head with my favorite razors the Rex ambassador, timeless bronze and Rockwell 6s.

I didn't think you'll be disappointed with the razor, but you might be disappointed with the wait.

QRTAS

The Christopher Bradley Karve is a 2 men show with more orders that what they can handle.

The razor is amazing, they just don't have the infrastructure to fulfill the orders quickly.

If you don't mind the wait, you get one of the finest razors out there.
proxy.php
proxy.php

QRTAS

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
You’ll pay and then wait 3-5 months before you receive one with little information about why these were stated to be “in-stock”.

I would look elsewhere. Blackbird, Yates, Henson: All much better razors, with much better customer service IMO.
Good to know, I was going to order one.

My Karve is certainly worth the money and worth the wait. I chose 3” when only brass and SB were made. Now I use OC plates.

Well designed, well executed. Not a mass market, mass produced item. Far too expensive and popular a product line for Karve to build a big inventory backlog without risks to quality and profitability. Especially with the expansion to SS and Alu, with Ti coming.

The price is low (remember it is CAD) for what is delivered, partly because they don’t waste time and money on handholding for nervous or uncertain customers. Check prices on Timeless, Charcoal Goods, ATT.

I have never heard of anyone who didn’t get what they ordered. Long lead times for Karve are well known. If you are impatient, don’t order.

A lot of the issues came from lack of transparency around what’s labeled in-stock when it actually wasn’t. Aluminum and Stainless orders were were originally sold as in-stock when they weren’t. I had my stainless order from launch refunded. @R7photo can maybe attest? I think he just got his stainless polished razor that was “in stock” around black Friday last year.

I’ve seen two threads lately where people have kept their Gamechanger .84 over their karve. That’s what I did too, before moving to the even better razors mentioned above.

cheers

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My Karve is certainly worth the money and worth the wait. I chose 3” when only brass and SB were made. Now I use OC plates.

Well designed, well executed. Not a mass market, mass produced item. Far too expensive and popular a product line for Karve to build a big inventory backlog without risks to quality and profitability. Especially with the expansion to SS and Alu, with Ti coming.

The price is low (remember it is CAD) for what is delivered, partly because they don’t waste time and money on handholding for nervous or uncertain customers. Check prices on Timeless, Charcoal Goods, ATT.

I have never heard of anyone who didn’t get what they ordered. Long lead times for Karve are well known. If you are impatient, don’t order.
Yes they make very nice razors, and at a very attractive price point. Plus the added plates you can buy are also very nice and very reasonably priced.
However I think they shouldn't charge me and then deliver months later, and I didn't notice any mention of this on the page, perhaps my oversight. Usually a business doesn't bill until a product ships. If they bill me when I order and send in a month or two, that's not a purchase, that in my opinion is a loan. Anyway, I've seen far to many people get burned when they pay upfront and then something happens and they are out of the money with no recourse. I'm not saying this would happen, I'm just saying I don't do business that way. I may wait for when they are available elsewhere, such as WCS, or just go with the Timeless .68 open comb, which is also quite nice. By the way, I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me, but I can assure you I don't require any hand holding, nor am I an uncertain nervous type of person.

I enjoy mine, I've been adding to the set gradually. I've got three base plates currently, two top plates (the wide one is incredible) and I've got two more bases on the way. Yes, it's a long wait, but I have other razors to use in the meantime.

Top Bottom