What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Karve SS, OC-C paired with Personna works for me in two passes. Earlier, I had smooth shaves with Bolzano. I've yet to muster enough courage to load up Feather. Also tried Derby and Croma, mixed feelings. I will have to revisit. I know I missed something with both.I
Working my way up to SB-E.

My last few shaves with the Karve OC-D have been with the Personna (Israeli Red) blades. These are just fabulous and the most efficient blade so far, without being too aggressive. So much so that I ordered a 100 pack on Amazon! Between the Personna, Kai, Polsilver and Nacet I think I have a very fine quiver to choose from. Meanwhile the Feather blades will stay in my Game Changer .84p where they are performing well. :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ive been using astra in oc b plate. No issues. Next up is nacet. This is roughly my first week with karve i haven't tried c + other plates yet. But ive been enjoying the oc b.

I have been using the Personna Israeli Red with the "C" OC for really great shaves. I just received the D & E OC plated. I have one shave with the D using the PIR and did just fine.

Just have a "dumb" question and would like to hear your opinion.
So I'm thinking about buying a Karve brass razor with either a c or d plate, maybe both. Now I'm actually considering just the cap and base plates, not the handle.
I was wondering if I can use a SS handle with the Karve since I have a few at home.
What's your advise? Thanks

Just have a "dumb" question and would like to hear your opinion.
So I'm thinking about buying a Karve brass razor with either a c or d plate, maybe both. Now I'm actually considering just the cap and base plates, not the handle.
I was wondering if I can use a SS handle with the Karve since I have a few at home.
What's your advise? Thanks
Karves have standard threading so you should have no issues as long as you keep that in mind.

This morning was the first shave with my new to me brass Karve.
Wow, that is so much better than that chines shimmed thing I had been using. I think I will be looking for the C, SB, or OC plate. If someone has one to sell, let me know.

It's fine if you don't mind the two-tone look. I have the brass Karve with the C and D plates and the stainless one with the D plate. Two fine razors.

Since Karve is Canadian they don't use exactly the same threading as Maggard, Parker, Muhle, and vintage Gillette.

It might fit, but I don't think will be exact.

I think Fatip and Rockwell are exact same as Karve.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Since Karve is Canadian they don't use exactly the same threading as Maggard, Parker, Muhle, and vintage Gillette.

It might fit, but I don't think will be exact.

I think Fatip and Rockwell are exact same as Karve.

Curious as to where this info originated?

I use my Karve handle with my Gillette Old Type regularly. Fits perfectly.

Fatip is a fairly unique thread and is not even remotely compatible with Karve. To make absolutely sure, I just verified that they are not compatible with the Karve Brass SB-C and Fatip Grande MK2. They are visibly different and do not fit each other.

From what I understand KARVE's have a 10-32 threading which is the same threading of vintage razors. Handles like CG and others are have an M5 threading which is a tad larger then the 10-32. So you can use an M5 handle with a 10-32 cap but not the other way around.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Could have sworn I tried a Fatip handle on a Karve.

Sorry. I must be mistaken.

The other way around. Karve handle can be used on a Fatip with a nylon spacer, but the Fatip handle won't fit the Karve. Fatip threading is another thing altogether.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Could have sworn I tried a Fatip handle on a Karve.

Sorry. I must be mistaken.

No worries at all. :)

Some (very few) handles that fit vintage Gillettes and the like will fit the Fatip heads - kind of. Problem is that it is not a perfect fit which can lead to damaged threads.

Here is a thread on B&B that lists some of the non-Fatip handles that will work (has not been updated in a while):

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The other way around. Karve handle can be used on a Fatip with a nylon spacer, but the Fatip handle won't fit the Karve. Fatip threading is another thing altogether.

My Karve handle would not fit my Fatip Grande head. It would catch the first few threads and stop. Large gap between where it stops and the underside of the plate.

I'll grab some pics when we get back from dinner.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Had time to grab some quick pics before we left:
Fatip Grande and Karve Brass SB-C
20200527_162715~2.jpg

This is as far as the Karve handle screws onto the Fatip head. Kind of tough to see but there are threads visible between the handle and the underside of the plate.
20200527_162824~2.jpg

This shot demonstrates the size of the gap. I suppose you could put a tall spacer in there to take up that gap but, in my opinion, it's not something that I would do with my razors.
20200527_162858~2.jpg

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Had time to grab some quick pics before we left:
Fatip Grande and Karve Brass SB-C
View attachment 1105847
This is as far as the Karve handle screws onto the Fatip head. Kind of tough to see but there are threads visible between the handle and the underside of the plate.
View attachment 1105848
This shot demonstrates the size of the gap. I suppose you could put a tall spacer in there to take up that gap but, in my opinion, it's not something that I would do with my razors.
View attachment 1105849
Just my opinion and YMMV.
Yep MMMV. No prob here. Very smooth [emoji106]
proxy.php

BTW Gentile pictured but fits my Piccolo exactly as well as one would expect. Both Mk1 and Mk2.

Two washers required on my Schone.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom