What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Another Karve Question

Does the matte finish Timeless shave the same as the Ti?
Sorry we got a bit sidetracked. ;)

To answer your question: yes, you can use stainless handles on brass heads as long as you are very careful not to crank things down to excess.

Stainless is a lot harder than brass. The brass will deform.

I am curious to see if there are other reasons why mixing stainless handles is a bad idea.
[/QUOTE

Guess I might as well go full brass. Get the full Karve set up.

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Guess I might as well go full brass. Get the full Karve set up.
Again, you can use your stainless handle with the Karve head. Just be careful to not over tighten things.

I use a Timeless Ti handle and 0.68-SB plate with a Timeless Scalloped Brass cap. I am aware when I tighten things up and have never had an issue.

Also used Maggard MR11 stainless handles with my vintage Gillettes. Now I use Brass or Ti handles. In all cases, do not over tighten.

Just my experience and opinion.

Again, you can use your stainless handle with the Karve head. Just be careful to not over tighten things.

I use a Timeless Ti handle and 0.68-SB plate with a Timeless Scalloped Brass cap. I am aware when I tighten things up and have never had an issue.
I have piles of nylon washers and use them. I swap handles all the time.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Also used Maggard MR11 stainless handles with my vintage Gillettes. Now I use Brass or Ti handles. In all cases, do not over tighten.

Just my experience and opinion.
I appreciate your input.

There is a chemical reaction that occurs with dissimilar metals that causes corrosion. You can see it on the copper pipes in your basement. Copper pipe needs copper pipe straps which needs copper screws. A lot of times you can see corrosion on the copper straps where a non copper nail is used to fasten it. I have a Karve with a stainless handle and used a nylon washer in between. Works fine.

Welcome to the forum. If you think the washer helps, great but what about the contact between the dissimilar threads?

pbrmhl

Contributor
To further sidetrack, I just want to mention that my Karve brass 3" handle is one of my favorites in the den... And relatively inexpensive.

Karve , and few other modern razor manufacturers use #10-32 threads.

Vintage Gillettes and many other vintage razors have the
obsolete 3/16” NF 32 ,which is
almost identical to #10-32 threads.

Fatip,Joris and all the rest “Fatip-clones” have the weird
M4.5x0.75 threads.

Vintage Gibbs use the even more weird M5x0.9

All the rest use the “standard “
M5x0.8

There’s no serious galvanic corrosion issues between SAE/AISI 300 series stainless steels and brass or bronze alloys,when tap water is the electrolyte .

A handle with M5x0.8 will fit
a cap with #10-32 threads,but
will not be able to fully tighten.
The fit will be somewhat loose.

A #10-32 handle will not fit a cap with M5x0.8 threads.

Some Fatip caps and/or some clones ,due to increased plating thickness ,might engage with a standard threaded M5x0.8 handle.
But only some.

Last edited: