What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Another Karve Question

Just have a "dumb" question and would like to hear your opinion.
So I'm thinking about buying a Karve brass razor with either a c or d plate, maybe both. Now I'm actually considering just the cap and base plates, not the handle.
I was wondering if I can use a SS handle with the Karve since I have a few at home.
What's your advise? Thanks

So I'm thinking about buying a Karve brass razor with either a c or d plate, maybe both. Now I'm actually considering just the cap and base plates, not the handle.
I was wondering if I can use a SS handle with the Karve since I have a few at home.
Karves have standard threading so you should have no issues as long as you keep that in mind.

ackvil

It's fine if you don't mind the two-tone look. I have the brass Karve with the C and D plates and the stainless one with the D plate. Two fine razors.

Since Karve is Canadian they don't use exactly the same threading as Maggard, Parker, Muhle, and vintage Gillette.

It might fit, but I don't think will be exact.

I think Fatip and Rockwell are exact same as Karve.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Since Karve is Canadian they don't use exactly the same threading as Maggard, Parker, Muhle, and vintage Gillette.

It might fit, but I don't think will be exact.

I think Fatip and Rockwell are exact same as Karve.

Curious as to where this info originated?

I use my Karve handle with my Gillette Old Type regularly. Fits perfectly.

Fatip is a fairly unique thread and is not even remotely compatible with Karve. To make absolutely sure, I just verified that they are not compatible with the Karve Brass SB-C and Fatip Grande MK2. They are visibly different and do not fit each other.

From what I understand KARVE's have a 10-32 threading which is the same threading of vintage razors. Handles like CG and others are have an M5 threading which is a tad larger then the 10-32. So you can use an M5 handle with a 10-32 cap but not the other way around.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Could have sworn I tried a Fatip handle on a Karve.

Sorry. I must be mistaken.

The other way around. Karve handle can be used on a Fatip with a nylon spacer, but the Fatip handle won't fit the Karve. Fatip threading is another thing altogether.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Could have sworn I tried a Fatip handle on a Karve.

Sorry. I must be mistaken.

No worries at all. :)

Some (very few) handles that fit vintage Gillettes and the like will fit the Fatip heads - kind of. Problem is that it is not a perfect fit which can lead to damaged threads.

Here is a thread on B&B that lists some of the non-Fatip handles that will work (has not been updated in a while):

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
The other way around. Karve handle can be used on a Fatip with a nylon spacer, but the Fatip handle won't fit the Karve. Fatip threading is another thing altogether.

My Karve handle would not fit my Fatip Grande head. It would catch the first few threads and stop. Large gap between where it stops and the underside of the plate.

I'll grab some pics when we get back from dinner.

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador

Had time to grab some quick pics before we left:
Fatip Grande and Karve Brass SB-C
20200527_162715~2.jpg
This is as far as the Karve handle screws onto the Fatip head. Kind of tough to see but there are threads visible between the handle and the underside of the plate.
20200527_162824~2.jpg
This shot demonstrates the size of the gap. I suppose you could put a tall spacer in there to take up that gap but, in my opinion, it's not something that I would do with my razors.
20200527_162858~2.jpg
Just my opinion and YMMV.

Had time to grab some quick pics before we left:
Fatip Grande and Karve Brass SB-C
View attachment 1105847
This is as far as the Karve handle screws onto the Fatip head. Kind of tough to see but there are threads visible between the handle and the underside of the plate.
View attachment 1105848
This shot demonstrates the size of the gap. I suppose you could put a tall spacer in there to take up that gap but, in my opinion, it's not something that I would do with my razors.
View attachment 1105849
Just my opinion and YMMV.
Yep MMMV. No prob here. Very smooth

BTW Gentile pictured but fits my Piccolo exactly as well as one would expect. Both Mk1 and Mk2.

Two washers required on my Schone.

Last edited:
Karve uses a 10-32 thread. Says so on the website.

If you try to put a M5 post in a karve handle, it is not going to fit.

If you put the Karve 10-32 head on a M5 handle, it will fit, but there is a possibility that if the M5 handle is sloppily threaded it might not hold the 10-32 thread tight, and you could damage some threads (metals would determine which would be damaged). If it is stainless in stainless, its going to be dependent on the hardness of each piece.

I really like my Karve, so much I might order one in stainless also!

Good luck!

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Yep MMMV. No prob here. Very smooth

BTW Gentile pictured but fits my Piccolo exactly as well as one would expect. Both Mk1 and Mk2.

Two washers required on my Schone.

No worries, @jmudrick :)

Looks workable, just not for me. My fear is the stress of tightening could cause damage to the slightly mismatched threads.

No worries, @jmudrick :)

Looks workable, just not for me. My fear is the stress of tightening could cause damage to the slightly mismatched threads.
No surprise with Fatip that we have a Your Threads May Vary situation. I wouldn't force it either. I'm 4 for 4 on mine though. Maybe it's Karve. Ha, not bloody likely.

Last edited:
My take, if you’re threading brass onto steel and the threads aren’t a mechanical match eg, 10-32 vs M5 the brass will eventually suffer as it is markedly softer. Just saying

My take, if you’re threading brass onto steel and the threads aren’t a mechanical match eg, 10-32 vs M5 the brass will eventually suffer as it is markedly softer. Just saying
Karve and Fatip be brass in my case. All theoretical, I don't feel particular need to use the brass Karve handle, the Grande and Schone handles are fine in my Fatip world. The vintage razors where I use the Karve handle would all be brass and 10-32 (AFAIK)

Agree, I wouldn't mess with brass/steel with thread mismatch

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Sorry we got a bit sidetracked. ;)

To answer your question: yes, you can use stainless handles on brass heads as long as you are very careful not to crank things down to excess.

Stainless is a lot harder than brass. The brass will deform.

I am curious to see if there are other reasons why mixing stainless handles is a bad idea.