What's new

Another I need a replacement brush post...

I have been shaving with a shavette and double edge razor for quite sometime. I had been using a small synthetic brush a family member gave me not long after I started traditional shaving. The brush has finally given up the ghost and I have been using a can of Aveeno or something like that in the meantime.

Off my tangent, and back to the reason for my post. I have been looking for a replacement brush and I am stumped a bit. I have searched the forums and there are posts about cheap brushes, custom brushes, head replacing and it's only made me more confused. I can go basic and not dip too much into my meagre reserves and get an Omega brush. But I kinda want a bit of an upgrade.

I know I do not want some huge broom sized brush, I am shaving a face not a wall. The brush I was using I estimate was about 4" tall and about 2" or so wide. I am looking for something a little bigger than this, I am not sure what size. I have mainly used Stirling soaps and use the little plastic tins to aerate my soaps. Now that I think about it I guess I need something that will work with these plastic tins. A ceramic shaving bowl may be added to my kit in the future but that's another post and another time.

Any suggestions on types or info I may have missed on brushes? I will keep reading posts and the info on the site, I find though I am researching too much and it's making my decision harder, lol.

I believe the metric system makes this a bit easier.
You want to stay with synthetics?
What’s your budget?

20-22mm diameter is small
24-25mm medium
26mm (1 Inch upward) is big

You can get good brushes fairly inexpensively. I'm a fan of vintage brushes and have bough a few NOS vintage brushes from eBay, eliminating the need to either restore the knot or scrub the heck out of a used knot. You can still be looking at approx. $30, depending on what your budget is.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Fendrihan shaving, Razorock(Italian barber), Maggard shaving and West coast shaving should be able to help you with a nice bush.
Synthetic brushes are forgiving and work very well.
I like Yaqi brushes and Maggard shaving sells that brand also. 24-26 mm knot is a nice sweet spot for myself.
Badger brushes(24mm) are nice if you get the 2 band (finest) badger. The retailers sell badger brushes at different costs but the 2band has soft tips and a nice backbone IMO.
Good luck!

I have been shaving with a shavette and double edge razor for quite sometime. I had been using a small synthetic brush a family member gave me not long after I started traditional shaving. The brush has finally given up the ghost and I have been using a can of Aveeno or something like that in the meantime.

Off my tangent, and back to the reason for my post. I have been looking for a replacement brush and I am stumped a bit. I have searched the forums and there are posts about cheap brushes, custom brushes, head replacing and it's only made me more confused. I can go basic and not dip too much into my meagre reserves and get an Omega brush. But I kinda want a bit of an upgrade.

I know I do not want some huge broom sized brush, I am shaving a face not a wall. The brush I was using I estimate was about 4" tall and about 2" or so wide. I am looking for something a little bigger than this, I am not sure what size. I have mainly used Stirling soaps and use the little plastic tins to aerate my soaps. Now that I think about it I guess I need something that will work with these plastic tins. A ceramic shaving bowl may be added to my kit in the future but that's another post and another time.

Any suggestions on types or info I may have missed on brushes? I will keep reading posts and the info on the site, I find though I am researching too much and it's making my decision harder, lol.

You say the brush was about 2" wide. Where is it 2" wide? Most of the replies you will get here will quote the width of the knot (the bundle of bristles) at its base. A brush whose knot is 2" (50mm) wide at the base is HUGE! You're probably looking for a brush in the range of 22-26mm knots. Stirling, Maggard or West Coast shaving will have many to choose from.

As for material, avoid cheap Badger brushes. Go with a boar brush or another synthetic.

A boar brush will need a break in period before it reaches its peak (10-30 shaves). It may be good from the start, but it'll improve with use for a long time. Also, you'll need to give the bristles a couple minutes "soak time" just before each shave. If you shower before you shave, just let it soak while you shower.

You already know synthetics, so I won't bore you on those.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

It might help to know where you are located for shipping costs and your price range.

I'd suggest something like one of the synthetic Razorock brushes such as the Bruce, Big Bruce, BC, etc. Pasteur Shaving has 10% off for Easter Weekend and free shipping. One of these brushes would cost you only around $10-15. Very versatile brushes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If you still have it can you show us a photo of your old brush? We loves our photos.

Ok so I guess I wasn't being clear enough with my estimate in size. The 2" might had been a bit large and I was going by the hair diameter which was not very fluffy it was about the same diameter as the base, maybe 1 1/2" or so.

Well, a 24mm knot is medium size and you could go slightly smaller or larger than that depending on what you prefer. Since you did not want to go too large, something in the 22mm-24mm range would probably be in the ballpark.

Ok so I guess I wasn't being clear enough with my estimate in size. The 2" might had been a bit large and I was going by the hair diameter which was not very fluffy it was about the same diameter as the base, maybe 1 1/2" or so.

1.5" (38 mm) is still a huge knot. Most of us use a knot size in the range of 22-26 mm (7/8" to ~1"). This is measured at the base of the knot where it exits the handle. We don't usually refer to the width at the top of the knot where the bristles naturally splay out.

To get a better idea of the anatomy of a shaving brush, have a look at this B&B ShaveWiki entry. You'll find the "Sizing Up A Brush" section of particular interest because it discusses the dimensions that we use to measure a brush.

Once you've read the article, you'll probably have some idea of which bristle type and knot diameter might fit you best. After that, you can think about handle shape and size. Then, you can fine-tune things (such as loft) to determine how soft or stiff you want the brush to feel on your skin. Finally, everything put together will eventually lead to a discussion on cost.

So, let us know what you come up with and we can point you to something that fits your budget. :thumbup1:

That article is very helpful @Demolition. I have kind of narrowed it down a bit. Definitely want a larger handle, sausage fingers and all. Synthetic bristles might be the top contender, as I want something softer than my last brush but a bit of stiffness as well. Want to keep it under $50, looking to get a scuttle as well.

Yaqi has tons of tall handled Synthetic brushes in the 24-26mm bracket just have a look what tickles your fancy. PAA Phoenix Artisan Acoutrements have a bit painful homepage but again nice Synths with bigger handles.

Just for some reference points.

Yaqi Rainbow Pony on the left

E7D80BC3-B2E2-4915-B7B0-607944A10B59.jpeg

PAA Phantom Aerolite, which might be too big for you

B51C5D19-146D-4FB4-8275-499FC42D3471.jpeg

I agree with @Multum in parvo about Yaqi brushes. They have such a wide variety of styles that one (or more!) will suit your purposes well. Check out the Yaqi Factory Store on AliExpress for a look at their wares.

Currently, my favourite is the Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf. It has a nice beefy handle and the Timber Wolf knot has a moderate amount of backbone offset by super-soft tips. It is a mainstay in my rotation:

WvYrFZX.jpg

Top Bottom