What's new

Another help me pick a brush thread...

I'd hoped to be looking at a Shavemac 177 or Saville Row 3824; but, I'm on a budget. I can go to about $75, but not really much beyond that. I've already got a Rooney 3/1 and a Kent BK4, which are two of the usual suspects under that ceiling (well, at least since Auravita's been helping out with the BK4 pricing...). I've also got an Omega 6215.

I see two options at the moment, but I'm open to suggestions:

QED Select Silvertip at around $60

Shavemac 429 (essentially the 177 in Finest_ on sale now at VintageBlades for $65​

My specs: Soft! Reasonably firm; maybe not so firm as the Rooney, but not nearly as "flexible" as the Kent or the Omega. Suitable for both soaps and creams, and for face-lathering if possible.

So, my questions:

1. Is the Shavemac finest soft? I really would like a very soft hair. Would I kick myself for missing out on their Silvertip?

2. Can anyone compare the Shavemac Finest to the QED Select Silvertip in terms of performance and softness?

3. Am I missing any options?

4. I don't really need this brush. Compared to my alternatives, would it be worth holding out for my original goals of a Shavemac in Silvertip or a Saville Row?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just received a sale Shavemac 429 from Vintage Blades yesterday. I'm really happy with it. I can't compare it to those you asked about in your question, but you can read what I just wrote in another thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1084386&postcount=6

I find it very soft, it is a better brush than I expected and I knew it would be good. I almost got a 177, but it was over my already broken shaving budget. I'm really happy with the 429. As far as what you have listed in your specs, I think this fits them well.

Last edited:
I got the very last Shavemac 177 Silvertip w/horn handle that was on sale at Vintage Blades. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the models you listed, but I can tell you that it is slightly stiffer, and not quite as soft in the tips as the BK4. I liked it, but I'm still looking for something with a little more backbone How does your Rooney compare to the BK4 when it comes to softness of the tips?

I got the very last Shavemac 177 Silvertip w/horn handle that was on sale at Vintage Blades. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the models you listed, but I can tell you that it is slightly stiffer, and not quite as soft in the tips as the BK4. I liked it, but I'm still looking for something with a little more backbone How does your Rooney compare to the BK4 when it comes to softness of the tips?

Pretty comparable, but it's a little hard to say because the Rooney is so firm that the hairs can occassionally hit dead on with their tips and be the slightest be scritchy (not that word: slightest). The BK4, as you know, is not strong in the backbone department, so the hairs never really get the chance to hit my face dead on with the tips.

Overall, the Rooney is a pretty firm pretty soft brush, and is a very nice complement to the BK4.

Top Bottom