What's new

Another great soap to look at, Clubman Pinaud.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I bet if you took it out of that container and gave it some flashy name and label and claim it as some artisan soap it would sell out in 10 minutes and everyone would rave about it.

The amount of hyper bole and internet sensation will make anyone sell soaps.

+100

It's all about the "our story" these days. Those are the equivalent of the modern fairy tale. In the last 5 to 10 years Artisan and Designer have come to mean "you're going to overpay and we'll convince you that you are are enjoying it"

The only bad thing is the ingredient list can be a bit scary but no worse than many other big brands.
Well, let's see...
Ingredients:
  • Aqua
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Cetyl Betaine
  • Butyrosperum Parkii (Shea) Butter
  • Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid
  • PEG-12 Dimethicone
  • Ethylene Brassylate
  • Parfum
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Methylisothiazolinone
  • Methylchloroisothiazolinone
My least favourite ingredient would probably be the "Dimethicone", which is a species of silicone. I find that soaps with silicone tend to produce more scum to clean up.
I like it just fine in Silly Putty though.

If I saw some on the shelf for $5 I'd certainly give it a try.

I tried it some time ago and did not like it. The lather was mediocre and as was said above, disappeared rather fast. Glad it worked for you.

I’m all about the low budget shave. I’m not convinced that some artisan soap that’s $20 is really any better then something that about $10 and might have a lot of the same ingredients

Well, let's see...
Ingredients:
  • Aqua
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Cetyl Betaine
  • PEG-12 Dimethicone
  • Ethylene Brassylate
  • Parfum
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Methylisothiazolinone
My least favourite ingredient would probably be the "Dimethicone", which is a species of silicone. I find that soaps with silicone tend to produce more scum to clean up.
I like it just fine in Silly Putty though.
If I saw some on the shelf for $5 I'd certainly give it a try.

I don't know what Clubman soap you have but that's not the ingredients in mine. I have the 2 oz. version. See my picture. Amazon does not list the correct ingredients.

Clubman_RR.JPG

I don't know what Clubman soap you have but that's not the ingredients in mine. I have the 2 oz. version. See my picture. Amazon does not list the correct ingredients.
I don't have any.
My source was Pinaud Clubman Shave Soap | PomadeShop
proxy.php

But wait... there's more.
From Clubman | Products -
proxy.php

• Water (Aqua, Eau)
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate
  • Sorbitol
  • Stearic Acid
  • Sodium Coco-Sulfate
  • Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
  • Cetyl Betaine
  • Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter
  • PEG-12 Dimethicone
  • Ethylene Brassylate
  • Fragrance (Parfum)
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Methylisothiazolinone
Bolded text are the ones unique to that list.

From the pomade shop list that I posted earlier:
  • Aqua
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Cetyl Betaine
  • PEG-12 Dimethicone
  • Ethylene Brassylate
  • Parfum
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Methylisothiazolinone
Hmmm. Five fewer items.
What's listed on the container that you have?

My list:
  • Water (Aqua, Eau)
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate
  • Sorbitol
  • Stearic Acid
  • Sodium Coco-Sulfate
  • Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
  • Cetyl Betaine
  • Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter
  • PEG-12 Dimethicone
  • Ethylene Brassylate
  • Fragrance (Parfum)
  • Benzyl Alcohol
  • Methylisothiazolinone
Not that any of this matters much. I don't usually pay much attention to the ingredients. I was just interested in one ingredient, Sodium Laureth Sulfate. This helps reduce the build up of scum in your drain pipes. It resist soap scum from sticking to the pipes. I wanted that included in the mix. The rest I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
I have not found a size larger than 2 oz. Sure enough, just as you get started you are through! I guess Pinaud guys are supposed to be flying everywhere so that 2 0z. will slide past TSA.

I'm a Pinaud fan and use a lot of their stuff. I like the baber shop smells and the fact that Napolean probably used Pinaud since it was created in Frwance in 1812.

I don't see anything scary in the list at all. Some people are put off if the names sound like a chemical. All things are chemicals to some extent. This is a great soap with a good formula.

Performance wise i agree, not a bad soap at all. Actually have been itching to give it another shot and is on deck for the near future. As for the ingredients, they are not as up to snuff as many of the "Elite" Artisans but defently worth checking out and can be found locally for a reasonable price. The scent is much closer the Vanilla than regular Clubman IMO which is cool as there are many Clubman scented soaps on the market, but the Vanilla smells wonderful and is uniqe.

Performance wise i agree, not a bad soap at all. Actually have been itching to give it another shot and is on deck for the near future. As for the ingredients, they are not as up to snuff as many of the "Elite" Artisans but defently worth checking out and can be found locally for a reasonable price. The scent is much closer the Vanilla than regular Clubman IMO which is cool as there are many Clubman scented soaps on the market, but the Vanilla smells wonderful and is uniqe.

It does have a nice scent. Not a strong scent but nice. Maybe I have a bad nose for scents but I find very few soaps have a strong scent. Mystic Water Lime comes to mind as well as Cella, Tabac and of course everyone's favorite, Arko.

I’m all about the low budget shave. I’m not convinced that some artisan soap that’s $20 is really any better then something that about $10 and might have a lot of the same ingredients

I was bit by the Artisan bug last year. Big containers of shave soap for relatively low cost and a huge variety of scents. I bought all 12 scents available. About $2 per oz. Never again. They don’t shave me any better than my conk, gentleman Jon’s or Williams at more than half the price per oz.

I do want to pick some of this up though to try after the sabbatical is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a tin come in. Might be awhile before I get to it. Too many other soaps in rotation right now.

There are so many soaps it's crazy to try them all but it is so tempting when you read a good review on something that sounds interesting. I'm trying to reduce my rotation of soaps and razors for that matter.

Shaved with the Clubman soap this morning. The scent is Clubman Vanilla IMO and they would have been better off labeling it as such to aviod dissapointment for those expecting the classic Clubman scent.

Performance is OK. Some have reported dissapearing lather issues, but my dissapearing act was the other eay around, the soap has shrunk and lost almost about 50% and it was stored with the lid in a cool basement.

Since it was only a 2oz soap to begin with its not a hige deal, but something i cant help but notice.

The Clubman Pinaud soap is a great performer that produces a rich creamy lather that will please anyone.
I seem to need soaps that absoluetly have good protection. Does this one have it?
I've been using Clubman Pinaud as for 20 years or more, don't even try any others.

I seem to need soaps that absolutely have good protection. Does this one have it?
I've been using Clubman Pinaud as for 20 years or more, don't even try any others.

I find it has great protection. It performs as good as any other soap I have tried.
Over the pass 9 years that shaving has become a hobby for me and with all of the many soaps I have tried, I have found that with any soap the trick is to get the right soap to water ratio. Without that the soap will not perform as it should.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a puck I bought from Fendrihan to avoid shipping cost. Used it maybe twice and wasn’t impressed. Would rather use Williams.

Top Bottom