What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Another first DE post

So my Merkur 34C and sample blade pack from WCS arrived this week and today was my first DE shave.

First things first, though: because my wife wants her mother to make a gift of shaving gear for the holidays this year, I have not yet picked up a brush. Therefore, I'm working with AOS Sandalwood cream and a hand-lather. What I've found is that by doing the same steps of Kyle's prep, but using my hand instead of brush, I'm still able to get a relatively decent lather going on my face. I've been practicing this for the last few weeks with the Mach 3 in prep for the move to DE.

Anyway, I took a nice shower, put on a little Anthony Logistics pre-shave oil and some hand-lathered AOS cream, and covered that with a hot towel for a few minutes.

The great thing about this when doing the hand lather is that there is a lot of water left in my beard/on my face, so I am able to get a surprisingly thick lather without the brush.

So, I relathered and went in for the first shave. I have a Derby loaded in the HD, and I went for very short, slow strokes with a focus on 1) my blade angle and 2) NO PRESSURE!

I think I was pretty successful with both of these. The blade angle seemed good - there was clearly beard cutting happening - and I did a very good job with "no pressure".

First WTG pass: not too bad! no nicks or cuts, very little burn, generally good beard reduction.

Relathered, second WTG pass: also pretty good. A wee bit of burn, but certainly no worse than (and probably better than) what I am used to with the M3

3rd relather and a very gentle, slow XTG pass. On my cheeks, this was particularly good - nice and close. Chin, neck and upper lip area are still tricky for me XTG.

I stopped at this point. I think it's a pretty good shave for my first time out with the DE (and no brush). I had been getting a fairly good shave with my M3, so certainly at this point I wouldn't say the DE is closer than M3, but I certainly enjoyed the shave and can see how, with a bit more practice, I'll be super-close and irritation free.

Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely enjoying my new hobby.

Top Bottom