What's new

Another DIY Strop

Hey Guys - I wanted to share my weekend project....I started by making a couple cotton pasting strops and then decided it may be fun to make a real strop. Well it was so fun that I made two.

They are 8 oz veg-tanned cowhide and measure 2 1/2" wide and about 24" long (22" stropping surface). I used 2" cotton for the prep surface and assembled the strops with 2" D-Rings, a 3/4" trigger snap, 1/4" and 3/8" Chicago Screws, and a 1/4" latigo lace. I used a strap end punch to make the cutouts in the leather for the D-rings straight and uniform. Both strops were then lightly oiled with neatsfoot and received a generous treatment with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, I then rolled them with a glass bottle, and then worked them by hand to break then in and soften the leather. With the darker strop I attempted to create a more vintage 'distressed' look so I worked in strop dressing with my hands and then used a pumice stone to give the leather a more fatigued look. Finally both strops were brushed to raise a light nap. I have tried out both and they feel great and have delivered great shaves.

Also, I need to give a nod to Ken at RupRazor whose Paladin strop design I used as a general guide in making these. This was really a lot of fun and I highly recommend giving it a try.

Anyway, I'm interested in your feedback and comments.
Dallas

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice work, how long does it take to make one of these from... start cutting (not the cow) to hanging on the door?

Not very long at all ... 60 minutes or less . . . depending on how you treat the leather, etc. I also let them dry overnight after the oil/soap/dressing treatment.

I'm in the process of making something very similar. Where did you find the 2" cotton? I'm struggling with finding materials for that part of the strop.

It is kinda tough to find . . . I finally found a small roll of it in the back of a local fabric store. Seems like it is easy to find 1 1/2" and smaller, but 2" or larger is not as easy. Also check EBAY, there are some reasonable deals, but you have to buy at least 20 yards. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom