What's new

Another Disappointing "Barbershop" Shave story

I had my first "barbershop" head shave today. My brother in law got me a couple of gift certificates to a fancy men's spa type place called The Manor Shave Bar and Vitality Lounge. I took my brother along with me to treat him to a head shave as well. He's still a cart user and has never had a straight shave either. If you want to hear the worst of it, skip down a couple of paragraphs.

The place itself was pretty cool. A little rustic, iron and wood decor with various antiques along one wall. Complementary beverages, including the adult kind. I'll start with my brother's shave, even though my shave started first. His shave was done by a nice woman. She started with PSO, then applied some hot lather and covered with a brief hot towel. She then relathered and began the shave. She did a single WTG pass plus some touch up using a Feather Artist Club. She finished with a hot towel wipe, then some balm, and finally a cold towel, followed by a little more balm.

My brother enjoyed the experience, particularly the head massaging during the oil and balm applications. The shave itself wasn't as close as he gets with his carts, but it was irritation and nick-free.

On to my shave...

I was attended to by a nice young gentleman. He started off with some warm PSO. I don't use it anymore at my dermatologist's recommendation, but I wanted the full experience. Here's where things started to go wrong. No hot towel treatment. He was speaking with another gentleman sitting nearby as if he was doing a training session. He went straight to the hot lather, telling the other guy that the hot towel wasn't necessary because the lather was already heated. I'm a man with VERY coarse hair, and quite a bit of it everywhere on top, so I typically need decent prep. But I held my tongue just to see how it would go. Maybe he was right.

He then picked up a Feather Artist Club and I felt him start with some very tentative strokes. He started on the top of the head, just left of center, but the strokes just felt a little wrong. Picture a windshield wiper motion, but the wiper moves up the windshield as well as back and forth. That's what it felt like. After he completes the first razor pass all the way down the top of my head like that, he relathers and starts again.

When the razor made contact again, it felt different. Not like a shavette, and not like a safety razor. Then I heard and felt the buzzing... He was halfway done with my head in a matter of seconds before I could ask, "what kind of razor are you using?" Over my shoulder appears the dreaded 5-blade cartridge with the vibrating handle. "Oh, it's a Gillette 5-blade." They give really good shaves. Nice and close, and very comfortable."

WHAT? :w00t:

After he finished, I could feel the couple of small cuts on the top of my head as he applied an alum block. Evidently he cut me a couple of times on that first pass with the Feather and decided to finish the shave with a freakin' cart. And it wasn't even BBS when he was done. The worst part is that the cart gave me just enough irritation that I can't even finish it up with a real razor now that I'm home.

Lesson learned. Never get a shave from someone who works in a Shave Bar instead of a Barbershop...

shave bar got it...never go to one.

just another example of the lack of respect for mastering skilled trades. ok rant over.

Sorry to hear of your experience, Garrett. I have given up trying to get shaves in a barbershop or any other place in the U.S. Believe it or not the only good shave I ever got was in an AoS store more than five years ago. The girl who worked there was a master. She did a good job in two passes; but, it wasn't as good as I can shave myself.

I got a gift card from my wife for a local barbershop. The young lady who did my shave was awesome. Nice CCS on two passes. Sorry to here yours was not so good.

I have been anticipating this post for awhile hoping for an awesome shave on your part. Sorry it wasn't what you expected.

Wow, my question is, why do they even have a gillette fusion? If I ever go to get a shave that's the first question I'll ask.
Me : "You guys have a gillette fusion here?"
Bad barber : "Yes sir we do, just in case."
Me : "Ok bye"

What a bummer. My barber shop experiences have been good, albeit limited to head shaves. I go to a place called "Kleen Kutz" which is a small, 4 shop, budget chain. The one I go to is staffed by several Latina ladies. I get a military "high and tight" hair cuts and she shaves the sides and back of my head. PSO- lather- hot towel (man, I love that!)- re-lather and scrape scrape scrape. Just like sitting in the chair for a new barber, you hope it's going to turn out well. Luckily, I always walk out feeling like a million bucks.

I've never had a shave by anyone else - barber or "fancy s spa," but I would have certainly questioned the use of a cartridge as a shaving tool in such a place. I'm sure that wasn't cheap, either. Very disappointing, indeed!

I had a very similar experience with a "traditional straight razor shave" in England. I was in York recently on business and have heard stories of the legendary turkish barber shaves. One evening I decided to go for a walk to find one of these barber shops to get a shave. Needless to say, 15 minutes later with no prep and foam from a can my face was tore up. One of the worst shaves I've had in years. At this point I've learned to just do it myself.

I gain more and more the impression that quite a few of these "barbershops" are more about "lifestyle experience" and "ambience" than about getting a proper shave.

They may have all the looks and accoutrements; pretend to offer an old-fashioned shave, but just adopted the feel and style of traditional barbershops of yore and can sometimes be frighteningly clueless when it comes to a traditional shave.

I recently read a similar report of someone who got a sub-par shave at AOS Las Vegas and thought to myself, why would anyone even go to for a shave to a company that is better known for its marketing savvy?
It's like going to a department store shopping for art.

A lot of these establishments may talk the talk, but I doubt they can they walk the walk.

It can be hard to differentiate the chaff from the wheat and instead of a seasoned barber you may end up with someone who two weeks ago was still plying the fast food trade.

B.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'd really like to hear more good experiences. I've never had a shave by another person before. I just don't trust anyone to give me a better shave than I can do myself.

But two things I read that rang an alarm.
fancy men's spa type place
The Manor Shave Bar and Vitality Lounge.

1. men's spa thingy? I'm a guy that prefers an old school barber shop. I went to a men's spa thingy once, they gave me a menu. I selected a treatment then had to go somewhere else to get the haircut fixed. So no more men's spas for me.

2. 7 word business name? Sounds gimmicky to me right off the bat.

Big bummer you had a bad experience, I wish i would have read a good one for a change.

I was curious one day and started looking up barber schools and what barbers earn. I wasn't impressed especially considering how much barber schools charge around here to train students to "pass the test" for certification. It reeked of the computer certification schools and classes in the 90s where you took the class to learn how to pass the certification test but not to do the actual job well. It looked like you would have to go to school and get certified then find a good/master barber willing to apprentice you for couple years if you wanted to be a good barber. The schools in my state charged 17 to 20 thousand to train a barber. You have to read the fine print since some of these schools don't teach the business classes for students to learn how to open their own shop. From the sources I saw it said barber's average about $13/h(I don't know if this factors in tips). It seemed like the way to make better money is to open a shop with a half dozen chairs/stations in a high traffic location and rent out chair space to other barbers as well.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Using a Gillette 5-blade in a barbershop is like serving pork in a mosque.

I had a similar experience with a costly head shave - Nice, old-school barber shop theme, 1st shaved with a straight, next, cleaned up with a Mach 3. $30+. Cool experience, but....

From what I have heard, nothing beats a straight for effectiveness. Maybe not?

I have never had a good barber shave and prefer to do it myself. Where we work here, its pretty dirty and grim, so we mostly go a few days without shaving. When we get back to civilization, a lot of the lads go for a barber shave but not me. A few hours later, with us all beardless and in the pub, people often ask where I go as I get a very clean shave and skin is a lot smoother and less sore than theirs. The never believe its done by myself but slowly, they are converting to the Pete method.

I tend to favour old fashioned barbers shop for hair cuts rather than the unisex salons that have sprung up everywhere. When I say barbershops, I mean the plain ordinary working joe type, not the retro, high $$, designed to look something from the late 1800's types.

In all the years I have been going (I am nearly 50) I don't recall ever seeing anybody getting a shave. Sure I have seen barbers clean up the back and sides of the neck after a hair cut, but not a proper shave as we are discussing here; I don't even recall seeing a shave being listed on any price list either...

I suspect it is a dying art and/or a niche market.

I had a couple of shaves in a barbershop in the 80s. I decided paying to have my face torn apart by a hamfisted idiot wasn't something a reasonable person would pay for, so I stopped.

Top Bottom