What's new

Another Disappointing "Barbershop" Shave story

I go to a plain working stiff barber shop, no women, no stylists, no effeminate fluff and they do have shaves on their price list. I haven't actually seen anyone get a shave at a barber shop, ever, but I know they happen because one of the barbers where I used to go was in demand for them. I suspect they are given by appointment at the end of the normal day to minimize distraction and disruption.

NEVER EVER trust a barber who doesn't speak Italian.

and using a straight takes practice, something I don't see many modern barbers having.
how many shaves do you think the average barber gives in a week?

Sorry to hear that your experience was so disappointing. It sounds like a lot of places simply don't know what to do when it comes to shaving.

I know my barber uses pre-shave oil, a hot towel, warm lather from a machine (or will whip up a lather in a mug with a brush), but I haven't asked for a shave yet. I think it would be worthwhile to talk to an actual barber about their shaving process first, and find out how often they shave a customer.

NEVER EVER trust a barber who doesn't speak Italian.

and using a straight takes practice, something I don't see many modern barbers having.
how many shaves do you think the average barber gives in a week?

Very, very wise words. My barber (Mario...from Sicily :wink2:) always uses a straight Feather Straight Razor and Prorasso Green Shaving Soap. Heck, he only uses a straight razor to shave himself daily.

I tend to favour old fashioned barbers shop for hair cuts rather than the unisex salons that have sprung up everywhere. When I say barbershops, I mean the plain ordinary working joe type, not the retro, high $$, designed to look something from the late 1800's types.

In all the years I have been going (I am nearly 50) I don't recall ever seeing anybody getting a shave. Sure I have seen barbers clean up the back and sides of the neck after a hair cut, but not a proper shave as we are discussing here; I don't even recall seeing a shave being listed on any price list either...

I suspect it is a dying art and/or a niche market.

It's just not cost effective. In the time they take to do a quality straight shave, they could probably have 3 quick and dirty cuts done and out the door. Charging for those cuts makes it unappealing for guys that want a shave rather than the experience. Guys that want the experience are glad to pay the higher price for the time.

I think I'd pay for the nice girl massaging oil on my face and head and then having the nice hot towel on my face for awhile. Sort of a massage parlor without the shave. No sense ruining by having someone cut you up with a blade.

Top Bottom