What's new

Another DE for rotation

I have a Merkur 23C (Merkur 180) and a Gillette NEW from the 30s looking to add one more DE to the rotation. What do y’all think would be a good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No adjustable or slant bar in the lineup so I would suggest a Gillette Slim Adjustable or Merkur 37C. If you don't want second hand then for an adjustable I would suggest a Merkur Progress.
With two good razors already in the stable why do you need another one?

No adjustable or slant bar in the lineup so I would suggest a Gillette Slim Adjustable or Merkur 37C. If you don't want second hand then for an adjustable I would suggest a Merkur Progress.
With two good razors already in the stable why do you need another one?
I actually have two 23C, one was for work and one was for home. So id like to get rid of one now and get a different one.

And what characteristics are you looking for that are not currently being delivered by your current razors?
Max would be between 75-100 I would think as long as I can get a little money back for the second 23C. As for characteristics, truthfully my Merkur doesnt seem to get as close as it use to, I think it needs a cleaning on my part though. My hair is fairly coarse and being in the military I have to shave daily so looking for something that will give me a nice shave but wont irritate my face. Every once in awhile the Merkur makes my neck break out.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Max would be between 75-100 I would think as long as I can get a little money back for the second 23C. As for characteristics, truthfully my Merkur doesnt seem to get as close as it use to, I think it needs a cleaning on my part though. My hair is fairly coarse and being in the military I have to shave daily so looking for something that will give me a nice shave but wont irritate my face. Every once in awhile the Merkur makes my neck break out.

Just be sure it's the razor causing the irritation and not the blade being used. I started experimenting with different DE blades in an EJ razor. I used a Feather blade in it about a week and a half ago...very sharp...turned my face red and my neck was a mess from irritation. Feather blades are nice...but they're not for me. Now I avoid the super sharp blades that most guys favor. I seem to do better with middle of the road sharpness.

This is a great link for blade sharpness:

https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

And good luck finding a new DE razor! Fun!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

New razors <$100. All wonderful razors.

In my opinion, the best $30-$40 you'll ever spend on a razor is for a Fatip Grande:
20200208_163747~2.jpg

And for $60 or so, the Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant:
20200520_103255~2.jpg

The RazoRock GC84-P (I use a CG Copper Maze handle - use a RazoRock handle and you'll be under $100):
20200519_105353~2.jpg

There are additional RazoRock Game Changer baseplates, both OC and SB, more and less efficient that fit into the <$100 price range.

There's also the Karve Brass B, C or D-SB, Ikon B1 Standard and B1 OC, Blackland Dart and others that fit.

If you are willing to buy. A used razor, Gillette Techs, Old Types, NEW plus the TTOs will keep you in good shaves for decades.

Hope this helps. :)

I like the above suggestions, in large part because I have tried to limit the value of my purchases to the same ball park, and I have some of those razors already(though I spent a bit more on the Karve daily shaver kit that comes with 3 baseplates).

The Fatip razors are most tempting to me out of the ones listed that I don't already have, seems like great value for the money. Both the Grande and Lo Storto are calling my name, though I have sworn off buying any more shaving goods for awhile.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought the Fatip Nobile yesterday from Fendrihan. Used some points and got $5 off. It's on it's way. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the EJ Chatsworth and the Fendrihan butterfly.

ATT razor head. Buy the head and drop it on one of your existing handles. Pick from three models based on your preferred level of aggressiveness. The original is still (one of) the best!

23c has the same head as a 34c, so asking for something more aggressive with low irritation. I would suggest a Gillette Rocket HD or HD500. It is a heavier superspeed built in England. It shaves closer but is smoother than an American Red tip. You can pick one up for $30-60 on the Bay, and the all brass construction will last for ages. Best wishes, JM

Great suggestions above!

I second the recommendation for a FaTip (or two)! That looks like what you are describing. :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom