What's new

Another Darwin Deluxe question

I recently got a Darwin Deluxe razor. It shaves great and has a decent weight considering it’s small size. I am trying to figure out which variant I have. It looks like a X4 or X6 since it has the Darwin logo on both sides of the head.

Question to those of you who have one - is your handle magnetic? I ask because cobalt steel is supposed to be magnetic, but on mine, only the head attracts magnets. I read somewhere that some of the later variations used stainless steel for the handle. Maybe it’s true. Sadly there’s not a lot of resources when it comes to these razors.

Attachments

• IMG_8082.jpeg
    IMG_8082.jpeg
    633.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Did some research and indeed Darwin did make razors where the handle was stainless and the head was cobalt. Mine is probably variant X7.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330-173950.png
    Screenshot_20230330-173950.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 31
Beautiful razor and a nice find. I didn't know that they ever made a razor where the handle wasn't cobalt steel. Learn something new every day.

Great specimen 👌🏼

Considering that:

1) the top of the cap hasn't got a flat strip running all the way across
2) the end of the handle is rounded like a dome

I would say your specimen is a X6. It's NOT a X7 since only the thread of the handle comes through the top cap on that model and not the stabilising pins which is a trait for the 'Standard'-model. The 'Standard' was a cheaper model:

$darwin-4.jpg

Great specimen 👌🏼

Considering that:

1) the top of the cap hasn't got a flat strip running all the way across
2) the end of the handle is rounded like a dome

I would say your specimen is a X6. It's NOT a X7 since only the thread of the handle comes through the top cap on that model and not the stabilising pins which is a trait for the 'Standard'-model. The 'Standard' was a cheaper model:

View attachment 1629782
The proprietors of the current Darwin told me that they believe mine is a X4.5 since it contains features of the X4 and X5. The X6 doesn’t have the double Darwin logo on the cap. Only the X4 and X7 did. The current Darwin owner did say it was common for Darwin to change features of the razors as time went by piece by piece instead of as a whole. So maybe it’s a 4.5 or a 6.5?

I asked them if they plan on making razors again and got a yes - it’s a prototype at the moment. I hope it’s an awesome shaver if they do make one. Just shaved with the Deluxe yesterday and it’s the best shave I’ve had in a while. No weepers.

Thank you for the info. Now to find me an earlier model where the whole razor is cobalt, not just the two pins on the head plate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom