What's new

Another damned Vision review

I agree, the Vision is the best razor I have ever shaved with. However, it is a razor that requires proper cleaning on a regular basis. I take care of mine and it gets cleaned on a regular basis so, after two years it still looks like new. I expect with proper care it will last a lifetime. Now that yours is receiving proper care, you should not have any problems.

I agree, the Vision is the best razor I have ever shaved with. However, it is a razor that requires proper cleaning on a regular basis. I take care of mine and it gets cleaned on a regular basis so, after two years it still looks like new. I expect with proper care will last a lifetime. Now that yours is receiving proper care, you should not have any problems.

IT is big and ugly IMHO, and as you say it does require maintenance. Even though it has given the best shave of any razor I have tried so far, variety being the spice of life, I still like to shave with other favorites that also get the same result only with a bit more effort.

IT is big and ugly IMHO, and as you say it does require maintenance. Even though it has given the best shave of any razor I have tried so far, variety being the spice of life, I still like to shave with other favorites that also get the same result only with a bit more effort.

My feelings exactly!

Love the Vision! Great shaves, a joy to handle. But I do enjoy using other razors as well. Still, it is among the best shavers I have, along with the Slant and the Futur.

Love the Vision! Great shaves, a joy to handle. But I do enjoy using other razors as well. Still, it is among the best shavers I have, along with the Slant and the Futur.

Michael, from reading this and a few of your other posts i am guessing by now you have all the Merkur razors :biggrin: I guess that makes you the merkur Maharaj of B&B. :thumbup:

I had gotten out of the habit of using my Vision for some time because my long handle classic is just so easy to use. I went back to the Vision a few weeks ago and once again, was amazed at the quality of shave I get from it.

I decided yesterday to go back to the LHC but this morning, I took the blade back out of it, put it in the Vision, and had another BBS shave.

I've said many times, no other razor gives me the quality of shave the Vision does, not the Futur, slant, none of them.

Like Michael, I have the Vision, Futur, and Slant. And they all give very good shaves; a joy to use. Unlike Michael, I still have my LHC. It, too, has its place. It can be taken down to 3 pieces and packed flat for travel. It can be used with a Derby or IP to give me a 1-pass acceptable shave without cuts, even if I have only a few minutes for a shave (a situation I try mightily to avoid, but which can happen). I really don't need any more razors. Just one more, maybe two: the 12C (open-comb version of the 38C) and an as-yet non-existent Slant head on the 38C/12C handle.

Jimmy, I wonder about that plating. It's so bad that maybe you should think about buffing it all off and polishing the base brass! Then coat with a clear lacquer so you didn't have to use Brasso every few days...

Like Michael, I have the Vision, Futur, and Slant. And they all give very good shaves; a joy to use. Unlike Michael, I still have my LHC. It, too, has its place. It can be taken down to 3 pieces and packed flat for travel. It can be used with a Derby or IP to give me a 1-pass acceptable shave without cuts, even if I have only a few minutes for a shave (a situation I try mightily to avoid, but which can happen). I really don't need any more razors. Just one more, maybe two: the 12C (open-comb version of the 38C) and an as-yet non-existent Slant head on the 38C/12C handle.

Jimmy, I wonder about that plating. It's so bad that maybe you should think about buffing it all off and polishing the base brass! Then coat with a clear lacquer so you didn't have to use Brasso every few days...

You know Fritz, my Vision is like an ugly child with it's parent. It is unattractive to everyone else but beautiful to me . I will leave the finish as is.

I am waiting impatiently for the day when Merkur issues a Slant Head on a 38-C like handle. For me that would be perfection.

You know Fritz, my Vision is like an ugly child with it's parent. It is unattractive to everyone else but beautiful to me . I will leave the finish as is.
I am waiting impatiently for the day when Merkur issues a Slant Head on a 38-C like handle. For me that would be perfection.
Next month I plan to get a 12C (the open-comb 38C). I already have a slant, so then I'll be able to tell you if there's a reasonable way to swap heads. It will certainly involve more than a screwdriver and pliers. And it may need to be a one time conversion, not a swap-every-other-day kind of thing. However, you would then have a Slant Sledgehammer and an HD in either open-comb or safety bar, whichever you started with.

You might ask Mer to have a look at this, too.

Next month I plan to get a 12C (the open-comb 38C). I already have a slant, so then I'll be able to tell you if there's a reasonable way to swap heads. It will certainly involve more than a screwdriver and pliers. And it may need to be a one time conversion, not a swap-every-other-day kind of thing. However, you would then have a Slant Sledgehammer and an HD in either open-comb or safety bar, whichever you started with.

You might ask Mer to have a look at this, too.

If you felt the urge and have the equipment, I imagine you could bore, sleeve and rethread the 38c handle to accept whatever head you want. This kind of procedure is not something many people are equiped to do, but it would be cool to try.

I have a 38-C and a Merkur Slant. The heads are pressed on. In looking at them I determined that I would have to take a dremel tool and cut through the head on the 38-C from both sides to leave the shaft of the handle undamaged to press on the head of the Slant.

Sawing the handle just under the head of the Slant I could then fit a jeweler's saw blade through the hole and cut out the remains of the handle. Then using a vise with a wide opening press the Slant had on to the 38-C handle.

So this would require destroying two razors to end up with one and I am considering it.:rolleyes: BTW, the bolt under the cap of either razor is the same length so the switch will fit if the head can successfully be pressed onto the handle.

Top Bottom