What's new

Another Cork brush

I made this one last week for a friend.

Brush.jpg

Doesn't that want to chatter or vibrate while turning? Pretty cool, and if you're shaving in a boat and drop it overboard, it floats!

Very unique. What do you use to seal it?

No need to seal it. Its actually a synthetic rubberized cork material used for making custom fishing rod grips. Completely waterproof and amazingly durable.

Doesn't that want to chatter or vibrate while turning? Pretty cool, and if you're shaving in a boat and drop it overboard, it floats!

All the turning is done with a rasp and sand paper. I wouldn't attempt to use turning chisels with this. Although the boat analogy is funny, when I'm shaving I just drop it in a sink full of warm water and is does float. A wet soapy hand can hold onto it much better than a hard slick surface and if you do drop it, no dings or chips. I have been using them for years. Here's a few more oldies.....

What a neat idea. And that's a great way for somebody that is interested in making a brush but lacking tools, since it is so easily shaped with simple blades/ rasp/ sandpaper.

Hmmm, I may have to give it a go. Have you tried dying the cork? I wonder how that would turn out. Off to the hobby shop!

What a neat idea. And that's a great way for somebody that is interested in making a brush but lacking tools, since it is so easily shaped with simple blades/ rasp/ sandpaper.

Hmmm, I may have to give it a go. Have you tried dying the cork? I wonder how that would turn out. Off to the hobby shop!

Just to be clear, I still turn it on a lathe. I just don't use wood turning tools. As far a dying, the cork material comes in many different colors. I cant see the need. Also you won't find it in a hobby shop. The only places I've seen/bought it are fishing rod building suppliers.

Top Bottom