What's new

Another Cheapo "Knob Drop" Fix

So I have this ugly duckling razor. It's a 1961 Super Speed, and it's not that nice. Its finish is well worn. It's lived a hard life. A very average example of a very common razor.
IMG_1097.JPG

When it came to me, it had a serious "knob drop" problem: When you opened the doors, the TTO knob would drop free. It's a pretty common problem with Super Speeds that have lived a hard life.

But this ugly duckling wasn't worth a lot of time or effort to fix it. So I let it go. It still locked up tight, so who cared?

I did. The fact that this fine old razor, used for so many years, had a mechanical issue bugged me.

Doing some research here at B&B, I learned that the "knob drop" occurs when two pieces inside the razor come uncrimped. A common solution apparently is to take a pipe cutter, remove or blunt the cutting wheel, and run it around the razor under pressure to recrimp the razor. You can do a search and find those threads.

But I didn't have a pipe cutter, and it seemed like a lot of work anyway for such an ugly duckling.

So I pulled a different tool out of the garage.
IMG_1098.JPG

Why not try to "crimp" the razor back into shape with a little C clamp? Worst case scenario would be I ruin a razor that is already broken. "Let's give it a shot," thinks I.

IMG_1099.JPG

By gently squeezing the razor as shown, I was able to crimp the innerds back together. Knob drop cured, and no damage to the razor whatsoever.

I wouldn't do this with an expensive razor. But for a 1961 SuperSpeed, it was worth the 5 minutes and the risk.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sadly, I think that any razor deserves to be repaired in the proper way. You may think there was "no damage to the razor whatsoever" but the handle tube dimensions have now clearly been altered (ovalized) several thousandths of an inch. Oh well, it's your razor ... I feel like I'm merely a historical custodian with my vintage razors and tend to preserve them for future generations.

You are welcome to inspect the razor on behalf of the historical custodians. If you can detect anything other than it going back to where it should have been, good on ya mate. Instead of a broken old razor, I now have a great old razor. Not sure why that bugs you.

I use a copper wire in the groove and crimp it with a small hose clamp.

Glad you fixed the razor. May she give you many great shaves in return.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

That's my method as well.

She should hold up for another lifetime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I did the same thing with 100% success on a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat that I paid $8 dollars for at an antique store. The razor was in excellent shape, except for the dropped handle. I covered the handle with a heavy towel and used vice grips. I huffed and puffed and squeezed hard once in a N and S direction on the handle, rotated the handle 90 degrees, and huffed and puffed and squeezed hard in an E and W direction on the handle. No damage was done to the finish and the handle maintained its symmetrical shape. A 100% success with an investment of $8 and 5 minutes.

Much better! :thumbsup:

The only way the c-clamp can fix it is by making the tube out of round, it's now bearing on the crimp shoulder in two spots instead of all the way around.

You are welcome to inspect the razor on behalf of the historical custodians. If you can detect anything other than it going back to where it should have been, good on ya mate. Instead of a broken old razor, I now have a great old razor. Not sure why that bugs you.

This made me laugh.

Thanks for that idea. I was going to sacrifice a Ridgid pipe cutter blade tomorrow to fix a 2-piece NEW RFB. Your hose clamp trick is easier.

Tighten a little, spin the knob, tighten a little,... don't just crank it down or the knob will never move again!

Anyone remember Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I read it in college or grad school. Problem with slipping or loose handlebars. Fix was a shim strip of soda or beer can. Effective. Unseen. Solved the problem. But offensive to some, even though hidden.

Tighten a little, spin the knob, tighten a little,... don't just crank it down or the knob will never move again!

Don't forget to put a wrap or two of electrical tape above and below the groove. I had one repair where the clamp slipped and slightly damaged the knurling on the handle.

Cheers
John

Somebody forgot the most obvious tip, which I immediately discovered today.

Don't use a cheap hose clamp ;-) Mine stripped way before it did any crimping.

I used one of those, ive also used just regular pliers. Both with copper wire cushioned with masking tape.
It hardly took any pressure. I was suprised how little effort was needed. But maybe i just got lucky.

Top Bottom