What's new

another bozo makes some soap

Some answers to questions that I had before I did it, and a review of lessons learned.

How hard is the bar/puck?
It's softer than a bar of bath soap such as Ivory. I can't really compare it to other shaving soaps since I'm new at this and haven't bought any. It's soft enough to deform when you squeeze it.

How much did it cost?
Here's the breakdown by ingredient. Wholesalesuppliesplus prices include shipping, so these are costs of the supplies delivered to my doorstep.
ingredientcost in this recipe
coconut oil$1.50
stearic acid$1.20
distilled water$0.05
KOH$1.85
glycerin$0.18 (estimated 1 oz--I didn't weigh it)

totals $4.78 in materials. I was more than a little surprised my potassium hydroxide was the most expensive ingredient after I analyzed the costs.

So the material cost of a 100g puck is about $0.68. That should be an eye opener. Adding fragrance will jack this up dramatically, more than a 100% increase for adding anything but the cheapest fragrance oils you can find.

I bought more feedstock than this, but these are the proportional costs based on the packages I bought.

I owned all the relevant equipment already,so I didn't have to invest anything in tools, but my guess on that would look like around 60-75 bucks for a crockpot, stick blender, digital scale and some miscellaneous stirring equipment. Already owning all of it was a significant driver in my decision to proceed.

How long will it last? (and what's the cost per shave?)
I looked over the cost per shave data mining thread. Hat tip to Jim. Even at higher loading rates like the 4g/shave some of those 3017ers report, I cooked up about enough (700g) to shave 175 times at a cost of under $0.03 a shave.

So I should expect to cook a batch this size twice a year if this is just for me. This is significant because the feedstock does not have an indefinite shelf life. I learned (after I bought the oils)that freezing them will retard oxidation a lot, pushing out the rancidity problem. Luckily, the oils in this recipe are among the very most stable.

There is a huge amount of technical information on soap making online, a lot of it in this forum. There's also a lot of what I'll call folklore. I tried hard to find info I could rely on, and to corroborate things I read on sites. Somewhere the last resort is to just do it and let your personal experience inform you. But thanks to everyone here who has documented their soaping.

I am in no way an expert on soap or chemistry, or even shaving. So here's what I'll present as my working understanding of why each ingredient is in this formula, and why the process steps are there as best I understand today.

Coconut oil
Coconut oil is high in Lauric acid, high in Myristic acid, and overall low in unsaturated fats. So it has good shelf life.
This oil is a good choice for shaving soaps in high proportions because of its lathering qualities, which derive from the lauric and myristic acid content being high. Being mostly saturated, coconut is solid at room temps, and contributes to a harder bar of soap.

Stearic acid
This is one single fatty acid (unlike a natural oil that contains multiple fats) refined from either vegetable or animal sources that contain multiple oils. You guys who like tallow soaps are actually likely to be fans of stearic acid in soap, since tallows are high in stearic. Like coconut oil, stearic is saturated, but the molecules are longer, giving it a higher melt point. Stearic acid is contributing to the hardness of the puck, and is making the lather hold up better (feel slicker). It's not contributing cleansing power. Being entirely saturated, shelf life is also great.

KOH (potassium hydroxide)
This is the caustic lye that when it reacts with the fatty acids above, turns them into soap. In this case potassium salts of the fatty acids. The other choice would have been sodium hydroxide. In general the potassium salts of fatty acids give better lather performance than the sodium salts, so most shaving soaps are at least partly saponified (turned into soap) by KOH. On the possible down side, KOH soap is softer than NaOH soap all else being equal. So some makers will saponify part of the oil with NaOH. You can split the batch in two and run two recipes through soapcalc.net if this is interesting to you. I thought the hardness of my batch with 100% KOH was perfectly adequate (in my far from expert opinion).

distilled water
I didn't make a real point of it, but using distilled water to dissolve your KOH avoids having the extra calcium carbonate in there to offer calcium. Since this costs so little I would not advise cutting this corner, but I can't say I appreciate how badly it may affect the outcome.

glycerin
I included this largely on the strength of wanting to follow JBLA's formula completely. When the lye and fatty acids react, you get glycerin as one of the byproducts. So the soap will contain a decent amount of glycerin without you adding any. My understanding of the goal in adding glycerin is to serve as a humectant, thereby offsetting some of the drying (grease cutting) tendencies of the lauric acid salts coming from the high fraction of coconut oil in this formula. It's helping your skin stay hydrated and elastic, and lasts after your shave is over. Pretty good for a cheap additive.

Process steps:

heating the oils
The oil has to be liquid to combine with the lye solution, and both our oils are solid at room temps. The melt point of stearic is up above 160°F depending on purity, while the coconut oil melts a little under body temps.

dissolving the lye
The dissolved lye breaks into K+ and OH- ions when it dissolves. The abundance of OH- (hydroxide) ions is what makes the lye water caustic, and is what you are measuring the proportion of when you take a pH measurement. The K+ ions attach to the fatty acids to make the salts like potassium stearate when we combine the oils and lye.

stick blender action
I didn't realize this until after I ran my batch, but just like making mayonnaise with a stick blender, you are creating an emulsion with the stick blender. Higher temps are helpful in getting it right, but the magic of stick blenders is that they are deluxe emulsion machines. This is why every soap hobbyist needs a stick blender. It's also why you can't arbitrarily increase the water to a point where the lye is super diluted and safe. There's a min and max amount of water you can successfully emulsify.

cooking time
Soap is done cooking at the point where there can't be further oil changed into soap. That point is reached when you cook out the lye solution, more or less. When we talk about superfatting, that means that you include more oil than the tables tell you can be saponified by the amount of lye you put in your formula. This is why careful measurements are important--you want to run out of lye in your reaction before you run out of fat to saponify, otherwise you get lye water on your face (ouch). Superfatting gives a certain margin of error too--your scale can be off. The smaller your batch, the worse of a problem this poses since the error in your scale will be constant.

glycerin addition
I talked about this above. Glycerin happens when you make soap, so we add more, but doing it at the end is sensible since our reaction complete or close to it. Read more about why glycerin is awesome here: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2012/04/humectants-more-about-glycerin.html
Learn more about oil chemistry and why glycerin happens here:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2014/02/oil-chemistry-review-triglycerides-and.html
(cool pictures of oil molecules at the link above illustrating saturated versus unsaturated)

disclaimer
As noted above, I'm a new soaper and new shaver. I'm not even a chemist. Corrections to the above are welcome, and by all means don't take my word for anything, this is just my wrapup of what I learned from my first batch of shaving soap. I plan to do some bath bars and some after shave lotion soon.

So I should expect to cook a batch this size twice a year if this is just for me. This is significant because the feedstock does not have an indefinite shelf life. I learned (after I bought the oils)that freezing them will retard oxidation a lot, pushing out the rancidity problem. Luckily, the oils in this recipe are among the very most stable.

To say that coconut oil and stearic acid are among the most stable is perhaps the understatement of the century. :001_smile

Prior to getting into making shaving soap, soapmaking was just a hobby for me, and when you're just making soap bars for friends and family, a 5 gallon bucket of coconut oil will last QUITE a long time (as in YEARS), and I never had an issue with the oil being less than worthwhile for soapmaking. Coconut oil doesn't go rancid without a fair bit of effort, so I wouldn't waste freezer space on it.

(If you're going to cook with it, I'd probably look for fresh oil, but that might just be me being finicky. Also, if you haven't started deep frying things in coconut oil, don't start. Sweet potato chips fried in coconut oil and sprinkled with salt and garlic powder are a recipe for oversnacking.)

That said, now that people know you're a soapmaker, I wouldn't worry about your oils having time to go rancid anyway. :001_smile

Nice work!

I made some soap, not really I just combined two soap Arko shave soap, which I hate fragrance wise and a facial Dove bar. I also added 1 heaping TBS of coconut oil Lou Ana 100% and 1/2 a TBS of olive oil. I used low heat and tap water to coat bottom of pan and then added fragrance DKNY men's and poured in a little Bay Rum.

It smells really well and I used it today and liked it far better that the recent Razorock that I bought Don Marco, too fruity on smell. It will not make it into my rotation. Also out of five shaves on a new Astra SS blade, the Don Marco was the only shave in which I had nicks (3).

I like the idea of keeping a shave cream simple as in the MDC thread that I am not able to post to for some reason.

I think I may just want to use only potassium hydroxide and can anyone tell me why I have not seen anyone mentioning Argan oil. That would be my first I would want to use, also where can one buy coconut acid?

Thank you $WP_20141230_002.jpg

I think I may just want to use only potassium hydroxide and can anyone tell me why I have not seen anyone mentioning Argan oil. That would be my first I would want to use, also where can one buy coconut acid?

Welcome shavetech. I can only answer from my perspective, and I'm extremely new to soap crafting. Nonetheless, here you go:

Why not argan? The best way I have to explain it is that every base oil that you include in a soap is made up of different fatty acids in different proportions. The fatty acids that contribute to the making of soap get converted to potassium salts (like potassium stearate) as the lye reacts with the oils. At the end of the reaction, you have these potassium salts, whether you used inexpensive vegetable oil, inexpensive animal fat, or absurdly expensive vegetable oils. Argan isn't absurdly expensive, but it's also nowhere as cheap as coconut oil.

The bigger issue is that the performance of the soap is really a function of the relative proportions of those salts. soapcalc.net has a ton of informative features once you get comfortable interpreting the numbers on the screen. So much that it will allow you to predict what the effects will be of adding argan oil to the formula John posted (and I used unaltered). And to be clear, I'm talking here about using it as an oil that gets reacted with your lye. What you get is added longer fatty acids from the unsaturated group, which will soften the bar of soap, and somewhat detract from the lathering and lubricating performance.

If you were interested in some property of argan oil that you enjoy (because like other oils it has more than just fatty acids of interest in making soap), you can add it to the soap after the reaction is complete. In that case, I'd be more likely to use the straight oil on my face, just to control the application better. Most of it will go down the drain with your lather in the event you add it to the soap (even after the reaction completes). Keeping it entirely on your face seems more economical to my way of thought.

Then finally, cost. My supplier wants 21 bucks a pound for argan oil, versus three for a pound of stearic acid and six for a pound of coconut oil. So it better be doing something that I really want done to be worth the premium. Maybe you like the high vitamin E levels in it. For me, I think you are better off not adding it to your shave soap if you want to get the most skin benefit. As we say around here, your mileage may vary.

Hopefully that's helpful info. Again, I'm new at this so any divergent opinions here are welcome.

Nice! I would personally cut down the coconut oil, you have it a bit high - too much is really drying (for me anyway). Also when you are formulating in soapcalc, you need to mark the little radio button that says 90% purity under KOH, as KOH absorbs water and the kind you purchase from a lye supplier will always be 90% pure. When making liquid soap you will set the superfat to -10 and then titrate with citric acid until you reach a stable pH unless you are doing the glycerin method, but for shaving soap just put the superfat as whatever you would when making bar soap.

Welcome shavetech. I can only answer from my perspective, and I'm extremely new to soap crafting. Nonetheless, here you go:

Thank you much for the informative reply, I recently purchased 4oz of it so I will likely add some in small amount.

The coconut oil I have is what is in my kitchen. Lou Ana, I imagine this is what is used, it worked well in my soap melt above.

Today I used it again and compared it to VDH deluxe and it won, first time with the deluxe, I do like the luxury much better.

I am going to do some more reading before I delve into real soap making, I figure I have a few extra pucks lying around to use as melt and pour first.

Thanks again!

Thank you much for the informative reply, I recently purchased 4oz of it so I will likely add some in small amount.

The coconut oil I have is what is in my kitchen. Lou Ana, I imagine this is what is used, it worked well in my soap melt above.

Today I used it again and compared it to VDH deluxe and it won, first time with the deluxe, I do like the luxury much better.

I am going to do some more reading before I delve into real soap making, I figure I have a few extra pucks lying around to use as melt and pour first.

Thanks again!

Soap making can be really fun. Once you get the hang of it, it is stupid simple (body soap anyway - shaving soap still takes finesse)

In the past 2 weeks I've made 3 batches of body soap and 2 small test batches of shave soap. I'm about to make another test batch of shave soap today!
Soapcalc is a GREAT tool to use when understanding how different fatty acids effect your final product.

Nice! I would personally cut down the coconut oil, you have it a bit high - too much is really drying (for me anyway). Also when you are formulating in soapcalc, you need to mark the little radio button that says 90% purity under KOH, as KOH absorbs water and the kind you purchase from a lye supplier will always be 90% pure. When making liquid soap you will set the superfat to -10 and then titrate with citric acid until you reach a stable pH unless you are doing the glycerin method, but for shaving soap just put the superfat as whatever you would when making bar soap.

I agree with the coconut oil. It allows for a quick and easy bubbly lather - but the lather generally doesn't last very long and can be very drying.

Superfatting a shave soap too much will kill the lather. Generally, you cannot superfat a shave soap as much as you would a body soap.

Last edited:
A soap-making sub-forum would be really fun.

+++1 My wife has seen me looking at soap making forums and has forbidden me from pursing this until the soaps I have are gone. Since this could take 3 lifetimes, I may have to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.:001_rolle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can also see my stick blender and a spoon positioned there on my soap dripping catchment facilitation apparatus.

Easy there, fella. This is a family site.

Soap making can be really fun. Once you get the hang of it, it is stupid simple

From everything I have seen, it is close to making Yogurt, temps are similar 185 on the milk, down to 110 when you add starter. I have seen 110 as the sweet spot to add in fragrance.

Depends on a lot of factors - superfat can be between 3 and 8% - I never go over 5% though becasue of humidity here but if you lived in a very arid climate you could get away with slightly higher.

I agree with the coconut oil. It allows for a quick and easy bubbly lather - but the lather generally doesn't last very long and can be very drying.

Superfatting a shave soap too much will kill the lather. Generally, you cannot superfat a shave soap as much as you would a body soap.

How exactly does a high superfat kill the lather ? Does it kill the fluffiness , the cushion , or the slickness? What would be the ideal percentage , and what oil or butter is best?

This is a great thread and very informative. Thanks to all of you who have contributed. This would be an excellent club!

Just curious, how long have you been making soap Mr. Baz?

Just curious, how long have you been making soap Mr. Baz?

I've been making body soap for a year and a half now. My first shave soap failure was about 6 months ago. I've only just the past month finally come around to developing a shave soap that I actually like. It's a fun side-hobby I enjoy. It stemmed from me wanting to use better body soap for me, my wife, and kids. The stuff at Whole Foods gets very expensive after a while. I figured I'd give it a shot making my own soap and actually quite enjoy it. It does save me quite a bit of money compared to always buying the stuff at Whole Foods, and this way I get exactly what I want. It is a win-win.

I'm thinking about marketing/selling my shave soap to raise some money for my other hobbies. I might be giving out some samples in the next month or so. Guys at work are my guinea pigs. I've got one of them that will compare it to Tabac and TOBS, and then another that will compare it to Mitchell's Wool Fat (my favorite). I've got another that straight shaves, so I'll be able to see how he likes it straight shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom