What's new

Another Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum Review

Here's another option for the Tobacco note version of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum. Order a couple of samples of PAA's Boomtown Bay Rum and put them into the mix. I did that because I thought the Boomtown was too strong on the gunsmoke and tobacco scent.

If you are making a variation out of the main batch then one sample will do. Tobacco notes can take over pretty easily, I think since they are considered base notes.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I will lead you to the master creator of the Bootlegger's line of aftershave... @OkieStubble. He is best suited to answer your questions.

Thanks Hedley! :)

Does anyone know where i can buy the "Superior 70" Bay rum (and the Vitos Colonia Tabacco) that will ship internationally. They both seem to be out of stock in most places. The few places that have it will not ship internationally. :(

Hey @aussietanker, Vito's Colonia Tobacco is only being manufactured and sold in Europe. They will not ship alcohol overseas to places like the U.S. or Australia. Superior 70 Bay Rum, which is produced in Puerto Rico, was very easy to obtain before they had the huge hurricane there, which interrupted production and slowed shipping. which sucks, because bot are needed for Bootlegger's Perfecto Virgina and Perfecto is absolutely awesome aftershave! :)

Is there a common alternative to these two as i have managed to accumulate all the other ingredients and am keen to try my hand at making up the Bootleggers range?

Appreciate the help

There is a very good alternative right now for the Superior 70 which I can't think of it's name, but fellow B&B Member and good friend @Ad Astra discovered this substitute and I'm sure he will be along shortly to tell us what it is. :)

Sadly, after much research, I haven't found a good substitute for my Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Perfecto Maduro. It was quite popular with members when the Vito's Tobacco could be found here in the state thru online vendors. I don't understand why vendors quit carrying it. I would think it would have been a hot selling item.

The Virginia Perfecto, was a light and breezy Caribbean type bay rum foundation without the cloying spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove like the Original Bootlegger's Bay Rum which many prefer in the colder months of fall & winter. But instead, Perfecto was a summertime Bay Rum with notes of Orange Citrus and Green Tobacco Flower, which gave it a wonderful Caribbean scent that was truly awesome!

Imagine the scenery of a warm humid night in a bar in Cuba, wearing a straw fedora and guayabera shirt, drinking a good bourbon and smoking a nice Cuban Perfecto cigar. That's Bootlegger's Perfecto exactly! :)

Of the 7 different Bootlegger's creations, the Virginia and Maduro Perfecto's, were some of my favorites, so when the Vito's tobacco became harder to find in the states, I ordered 10 bottles of it for myself, in order to give me a lifetime supply when mixing it up.

OkieStubble

Here's another option for the Tobacco note version of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum. Order a couple of samples of PAA's Boomtown Bay Rum and put them into the mix. I did that because I thought the Boomtown was too strong on the gunsmoke and tobacco scent.

If you are making a variation out of the main batch then one sample will do. Tobacco notes can take over pretty easily, I think since they are considered base notes.

This is how my Bootlegger's came to be. I created Bootlegger's aftershaves for those who seek a quality aftershave at an affordable price. My reasoning behind this is, Expensive aftershaves like PAA's Boomtown, doesn't or shouldn't need mixing. Aftershaves that are marketed as quality aftershaves and at their price point, need to be good all on their own. They shouldn't need or be mixed.

I have never tried PAA's Boomtown or any Artisan aftershaves. However, I do believe it is already a quality aftershave and doesn't need to be mixed. And it's price point reflects this truth. If you have the money to spend on those aftershaves, use and enjoy them by themselves. It would be a waste of money to mix them.

Bootlegger's takes cheap aftershaves that, while are good, there is one or two things missing that people are stilling looking for. So when looking, they can up their price point and find many Artisan's who can provide this and other more expensive brands of aftershaves.

Or they can mix my Bootlegger's, which are recipes of 3 or 4 cheap and widely found aftershaves, that when mixed, take on a "Synergy" and the total effect becomes better than the individual parts and they can make alot of a quality aftershave, for very little money by the ounce, when compared to other aftershaves with a higher price point.

lots of time and effort went into the experimental stages when making each Bootlegger's aftershave in the series, along with a trials & reviews period of B&B Members reviews, opinions and feedback, before any where officially added to the Bootlegger's Series list of aftershaves.

If you can afford and have the desire to buy and enjoy more expensive aftershaves, why mix it with a Bootlegger's?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks Hedley! :)

Hey @aussietanker, Vito's Colonia Tobacco is only being manufactured and sold in Europe. They will not ship alcohol overseas to places like the U.S. or Australia. Superior 70 Bay Rum, which is produced in Puerto Rico, was very easy to obtain before they had the huge hurricane there, which interrupted production and slowed shipping. which sucks, because bot are needed for Bootlegger's Perfecto Virgina and Perfecto is absolutely awesome aftershave! :)

There is a very good alternative right now for the Superior 70 which I can't think of it's name, but fellow B&B Member and good friend @Ad Astra discovered this substitute and I'm sure he will be along shortly to tell us what it is. :)

Sadly, after much research, I haven't found a good substitute for my Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Perfecto Maduro. It was quite popular with members when the Vito's Tobacco could be found here in the state thru online vendors. I don't understand why vendors quit carrying it. I would think it would have been a hot selling item.

The Virginia Perfecto, was a light and breezy Caribbean type bay rum foundation without the cloying spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove like the Original Bootlegger's Bay Rum which many prefer in the colder months of fall & winter. But instead, Perfecto was a summertime Bay Rum with notes of Orange Citrus and Green Tobacco Flower, which gave it a wonderful Caribbean scent that was truly awesome!

Imagine the scenery of a warm humid night in a bar in Cuba, wearing a straw fedora and guayabera shirt, drinking a good bourbon and smoking a nice Cuban Perfecto cigar. That's Bootlegger's Perfecto exactly! :)

Of the 7 different Bootlegger's creations, the Virginia and Maduro Perfecto's, were some of my favorites, so when the Vito's tobacco became harder to find in the states, I ordered 10 bottles of it for myself, in order to give me a lifetime supply when mixing it up.

That was an awesome shout-out; Okie, thanks. I actually was wearing a guyabera Saturday night!

The stand-in bay rum is called Dr. Sana's. It's highly likely its the same as Superior 70. Found it in Miami ... I'll go boot the review on it.

AA

OkieStubble

That was an awesome shout-out; Okie, thanks. I actually was wearing a guyabera Saturday night!

The stand-in bay rum is called Dr. Sana's. It's highly likely its the same as Superior 70. Found it in Miami ... I'll go boot the review on it.

AA

:ouch1:

This is how my Bootlegger's came to be. I created Bootlegger's aftershaves for those who seek a quality aftershave at an affordable price. My reasoning behind this is, Expensive aftershaves like PAA's Boomtown, doesn't or shouldn't need mixing. Aftershaves that are marketed as quality aftershaves and at their price point, need to be good all on their own. They shouldn't need or be mixed.

I have never tried PAA's Boomtown or any Artisan aftershaves. However, I do believe it is already a quality aftershave and doesn't need to be mixed. And it's price point reflects this truth. If you have the money to spend on those aftershaves, use and enjoy them by themselves. It would be a waste of money to mix them.

Bootlegger's takes cheap aftershaves that, while are good, there is one or two things missing that people are stilling looking for. So when looking, they can up their price point and find many Artisan's who can provide this and other more expensive brands of aftershaves.

Or they can mix my Bootlegger's, which are recipes of 3 or 4 cheap and widely found aftershaves, that when mixed, take on a "Synergy" and the total effect becomes better than the individual parts and they can make alot of a quality aftershave, for very little money by the ounce, when compared to other aftershaves with a higher price point.

lots of time and effort went into the experimental stages when making each Bootlegger's aftershave in the series, along with a trials & reviews period of B&B Members reviews, opinions and feedback, before any where officially added to the Bootlegger's Series list of aftershaves.

If you can afford and have the desire to buy and enjoy more expensive aftershaves, why mix it with a Bootlegger's?

I think my post may have been misunderstood. I have sung the praises of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum as I've made a batch of the original mix myself. It is quite good and in my top 3 of all the bay rums I've tried so far.

I was only making a suggestion to use a PAA sample vial which is $1 (and best to include in a bigger order). I doubt the Boomtown Bay Rum has the same qualities as the Vito's and Bootlegger's mix. But it works for a nice tobacco note that is just a bit too strong in the original PAA. I do agree that more expensive aftershaves shouldn't have to be mixed together overall. The sample vial works as a stand-in for a tobacco note without killing the bay rum base.

I'm also really tired today from having too many COVID nightmares and stresses lately. So my writing may not be coherent today.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah, you like the Cuban dress shirt?

I was a dinner guest Saturday at the home of a professor, who is a Cuban exile. Wanted to make a good impression.

But I didn't wear my Ramon Puig, though I have one.

He is gravely concerned about the recent rise of communism in this country. I offered to take him shooting.

AA

OkieStubble

I think my post may have been misunderstood. I have sung the praises of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum as I've made a batch of the original mix myself. It is quite good and in my top 3 of all the bay rums I've tried so far.

I was only making a suggestion to use a PAA sample vial which is $1 (and best to include in a bigger order). I doubt the Boomtown Bay Rum has the same qualities as the Vito's and Bootlegger's mix. But it works for a nice tobacco note that is just a bit too strong in the original PAA. I do agree that more expensive aftershaves shouldn't have to be mixed together overall. The sample vial works as a stand-in for a tobacco note without killing the bay rum base.

I'm also really tired today from having too many COVID nightmares and stresses lately. So my writing may not be coherent today.

Lol, it's all good @chillybase, I know very well from reading your posts that you are a loyal Bootlegger's fan. I am in no way intending to imply or suggest any offense or anything less my good friend! :)

I appreciate and value any ideas and suggestions for a replacement for the Perfecto problem. It's sad that such a great and popular aftershave cannot continue. I think if a substitute for Bootlegger's Perfecto is to be found, it should be not just one with a tobacco scent, but a "green flower" tobacco scent. There are different types of tobacco notes. There are pipe tobacco, cigar tobacco, I have even smelled an aftershave, that has a cigarette tobacco note. There is raw, green tobacco leaf notes and there is fresh cut already processed tobacco notes.

I think a dark note of already smokey and cut tobacco, would not jive with the also "brightness" of the orange citrus which is part of the Perfecto mix that also has to be considered. I do believe a dark & smokey tobacco could mix well with a Bay Rum, just not the summertime brightness that my Bootlegger's Perfecto is known for?

If a different type of tobacco note, changed the scent it is known for, would it still be Bootlegger's Perfecto?

You should send me your mailing address @chillybase, so I can send you a sample of my very rare seen & experienced Bootlegger's Perfecto to try for yourself. Then you can review what you think here and see if actually experiencing it's goodness, will give you some ideas from trying it yourself. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Ah, you like the Cuban dress shirt?

I was a dinner guest Saturday at the home of a professor, who is a Cuban exile. Wanted to make a good impression.

But I didn't wear my Ramon Puig, though I have one.

He is gravely concerned about the recent rise of communism in this country. I offered to take him shooting.

AA

Of course, it hides a pistol well. :)

Very nice. You have good taste sir. Gotta love the fine weave of a linen shirt.

I like the authentic Ricky Ricardo look. :)

5d6bce5bb5a6d2a8987208b9cef58449.jpg

Last edited:

lol ... a bit far for me! But i would definitely pic up a few cuban cigars while i was at it (even tho i don't really smoke!)

And i may as well stop at PR on my way and pick up the MIA Superior 70 straight from the factory!

Is there an ingredients list for Superior 70? I wondered whether i could compare it's ingredient list to some of the more commonly available BR's available here ... altho from all the pics that i have seen it looks a different color from any BR that i have seen here - ie it seems "lighter and greener" cmpd to most BR's which are brownish

OkieStubble

lol ... a bit far for me! But i would definitely pic up a few cuban cigars while i was at it (even tho i don't really smoke!)

And i may as well stop at PR on my way and pick up the MIA Superior 70 straight from the factory!

Is there an ingredients list for Superior 70? I wondered whether i could compare it's ingredient list to some of the more commonly available BR's available here ... altho from all the pics that i have seen it looks a different color from any BR that i have seen here - ie it seems "lighter and greener" cmpd to most BR's which are brownish

Google Dr. Sana’a Bay Rum and seeif anyone locally carries it or if an online vendor can ship it there to you. It is the same ingredients list as Superior 70 and may be more available.

Another that you can search for that is also very similar to Superior 70 is called Benjamin’s Bay Rum.

Hello, Gents! Found my way to this thread after seeing a reference to Bootlegger's and trying to use the search to find the recipes. There are now so many references that I'm not having much luck in finding the particular thread or threads that have the recipes. I tried clicking on @OkieStubble's profile, but he has 10k+ posts so that way would take a while! :001_smile Would one of you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Sorry to hear the ingredients of the Perfecto have become impossible to find (especially with that description above!) as a summertime Bay Rum would be perfect for my hot and humid Florida weather.

Thanks!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello, Gents! Found my way to this thread after seeing a reference to Bootlegger's and trying to use the search to find the recipes. There are now so many references that I'm not having much luck in finding the particular thread or threads that have the recipes. I tried clicking on @OkieStubble's profile, but he has 10k+ posts so that way would take a while! :001_smile Would one of you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Sorry to hear the ingredients of the Perfecto have become impossible to find (especially with that description above!) as a summertime Bay Rum would be perfect for my hot and humid Florida weather.

Thanks!

Which Bootlegger's recipes do you need?

Me again! Is Relampago Medicado Alcolado a substitute for the Superior 70 Bay Rum?

Have spent several days on and off searching for the Dr Sana's Bay Rum (which looks suspiciously identical to Superior 70 BR!) without success. It also seems to be sold out :(

I did manage to find some Benjamins Bay Rum (non menthol version) which i have also ordered

Last edited:
Top Bottom