What's new

Another Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum Review

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Obtained the ingredients via Amazon, mixed them up per the recipe and into my preferred storage bottle for aging:

Original Bay Rum

1 Part: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum

After aging for a couple of days, I splashed some on to see.

Hints of cinnamon and cloves. Reminds me of the kitchen at Thanksgiving - a very comfortable and comforting scent.

The scent is moderately long lived and has a consistent if lessening note as time goes on.

Wife approved, the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum has been added to my Aftershave rotation - especially for Fall and Winter. :)

Thank you, @OkieStubble , for making these wonderful recipes available.

Next up I'll be trying the Lime Bay Rum. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have layered VIBR and Lime sec, should I just mix them together?

When I created my Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, I tried many different lime aftershaves before settling on Pinaud Citrus Musk. Lime Sec is way too sweet in my opinion, more like a candy lime. But if you like it in PVIBR, that's really all that matters. :)

OkieStubble

Equal parts VIBR & Citrus Musk? Thanks for your forbearance.

If you're not looking to add Superior 70 and Master Bay Rums to it in equal parts in order to make up some Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, I'd probably start out with 1 part citrus musk to 1/2 part PVIBR in a small sample size and then go from there stronger or weaker since you won't have the high glycerin content of the Master and the high alcohol content of the Superior 70 to create synergy with the cinnamol hell fires of PVIBR.

I'll go with mixing another batch of Bootleggers and add Citrus Musk to taste. I'll need to order some Citrus Musk, I already have the rest. Thank you Sir.

I received my samples from @OkieStubble on Monday and im going to be testing them starting this weekend. However i have put a few drops on my forearm every evening so far and been sniffing my arm (lol). I really really like these.

I love citrus scents, so my initial favorites are the Bay Rum Lime and Perfecto Virginia.
I am very impressed with how the Original Bay Rum is also very smooth and not too clovey

More feedback to come when i actually use it on my face.

I’m going to tag onto this thread . I received some samples from @OkieStubble and today I shaved with PdP no 63 followed by bootleggers original bay rum . I love it. It doesn’t have a strong clove scent. (Not a fan of very clovey bay rums) .
It’s actually smells refined and smooth . I don’t know how long okie had it age before sending me the sample but it definitely isn’t harsh in any way and the 3 components blend well in that I cannot tell the individual components although to be fair I never smelled the ingredients .

I guess my best review comment would be that I like it so much that I went ahead and orders the ingredients so I could make my own bootleggers bay rum as well the the lime version . Thanks okie !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to tag onto this thread . I received some samples from @OkieStubble and today I shaved with PdP no 63 followed by bootleggers original bay rum . I love it. It doesn’t have a strong clove scent. (Not a fan of very clovey bay rums) .
It’s actually smells refined and smooth . I don’t know how long okie had it age before sending me the sample but it definitely isn’t harsh in any way and the 3 components blend well in that I cannot tell the individual components although to be fair I never smelled the ingredients .

I guess my best review comment would be that I like it so much that I went ahead and orders the ingredients so I could make my own bootleggers bay rum as well the the lime version . Thanks okie !

Wonderful review!!

Bootleggers bay rum surpasses In my opinion captains choice bay rum . It challenges Avon bay rum and in terms of value beats it . I have to compare bootleggers bay rum lime with captains choice lime which is my current favorite lime bay rum .

I am going to ride this thread the next couple of weeks if you don't mind David!?

I received a sample of the Original Bootlegger's Bay Rum and the Lime Bootlegger's Bay Rum from a very kind member, @OkieStubble. Thank you, Rob.

I will be traveling south of the border for a week beginning tomorrow and plan on bringing both samples with me. When I return I will give additional feedback. I did use the original Bootlegger's this morning and a teaser, I will be ordering the 3 necessary ingredients to make my own Bootlegger's when I return. A brilliant synergy of 3 brands to create a better product. I love it!

I had a week south of the border to test out the Original Bootlegger's and the Bootlegger's Lime. The Original is a no brainer. It has great face feel and scent when applied and what a value. Although it does fade quickly, this is not uncommon with bay rum aftershaves, so no big deal. For value, it really is unmatched. The three ingredients will yield a lifetime supply of bay rum. I am on the Original Bootlegger's bandwagon. For reference, my other bay rums I have tried are PAA Atomic Age, Capt's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails, Stirling Bay Rum and Avon 1960's Bay Rum. I think all of them are excellent bay rum aftershaves.

The Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum has me giving pause. Not because it lacks, but because my other aftershave while in Mexico was Stirling's Island Man. Island Man has a very lime forward scent and when compared to the Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, the Island Man is so much stronger in the lime profile that the Bootlegger's pales. This really is not a fair comparison to the Bootlegger's Lime, but I could hardly detect the lime in the Bootlegger's after using the Stirling. I will wait for a warm winter day to try the Bootlegger's Lime again and will give it a fair review. Right now it's cold, windy and more of a Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum type of day here in St. Louis, MO.

I'm off to Amazon to order my Bootlegger's ingredients.

Thanks again @OkieStubble for the samples and to @never-stop-learning, aka David, for letting me crash this thread!

OkieStubble

I had a week south of the border to test out the Original Bootlegger's and the Bootlegger's Lime. The Original is a no brainer. It has great face feel and scent when applied and what a value. Although it does fade quickly, this is not uncommon with bay rum aftershaves, so no big deal. For value, it really is unmatched. The three ingredients will yield a lifetime supply of bay rum. I am on the Original Bootlegger's bandwagon. For reference, my other bay rums I have tried are PAA Atomic Age, Capt's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails, Stirling Bay Rum and Avon 1960's Bay Rum. I think all of them are excellent bay rum aftershaves.

The Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum has me giving pause. Not because it lacks, but because my other aftershave while in Mexico was Stirling's Island Man. Island Man has a very lime forward scent and when compared to the Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, the Island Man is so much stronger in the lime profile that the Bootlegger's pales. This really is not a fair comparison to the Bootlegger's Lime, but I could hardly detect the lime in the Bootlegger's after using the Stirling. I will wait for a warm winter day to try the Bootlegger's Lime again and will give it a fair review. Right now it's cold, windy and more of a Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum type of day here in St. Louis, MO.

Thanks again @OkieStubble for the samples and to @never-stop-learning, aka David, for letting me crash this thread!

Thanks for the review Hedley, glad you like the Bay Rum. I see in the ingredients list for Stirling's Island Man, it has Rum in it's list, but not Bay Rum. Since the rum is the last ingredient in it's list and ingredients are usually listed from most to least amount, I assume the Rum in Island Man is very little.

I think you are exactly right, that it wouldn't be a fair comparison, since Island Man isn't a Bay Rum and is considered a lime aftershave with a hint of Rum. It should be lime forward. My goal for the Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum was to be just a lime bay rum but with a twist. Most lime bay rum's are natural, earthy limes which projects a darker scent profile. the goal of Bootlegger's lime was to be a different, brighter and almost "pezzy" type of lime scent profile.

So I don't know if it can even be compared with other 'lime Bay Rum's' like Dominica or Ogallala's. But I don't think Stirling Island Man's is a lime bay rum?

Thanks for the review Hedley, glad you like the Bay Rum. I see in the ingredients list for Stirling's Island Man, it has Rum in it's list, but not Bay Rum. Since the rum is the last ingredient in it's list and ingredients are usually listed from most to least amount, I assume the Rum in Island Man is very little.

I think you are exactly right, that it wouldn't be a fair comparison, since Island Man isn't a Bay Rum and is considered a lime aftershave with a hint of Rum. It should be lime forward. My goal for the Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum was to be just a lime bay rum but with a twist. Most lime bay rum's are natural, earthy limes which projects a darker scent profile. the goal of Bootlegger's lime was to be a different, brighter and almost "pezzy" type of lime scent profile.

So I don't know if it can even be compared with other 'lime Bay Rum's' like Dominica or Ogallala's. But I don't think Stirling Island Man's is a lime bay rum?
You are absolutely correct in stating Island Man is NOT a bay rum. My bad and I should clarify that Island Man is a lime aftershave. I didn't even realize it had rum in the ingredients. In fact, the Island Man is blue in color and will stain anything it gets in contact with, including a white piece of furniture in our hotel room.

Does anyone know where i can buy the "Superior 70" Bay rum (and the Vitos Colonia Tabacco) that will ship internationally. They both seem to be out of stock in most places. The few places that have it will not ship internationally. :(

Is there a common alternative to these two as i have managed to accumulate all the other ingredients and am keen to try my hand at making up the Bootleggers range?

Appreciate the help

Does anyone know where i can buy the "Superior 70" Bay rum (and the Vitos Colonia Tabacco) that will ship internationally. They both seem to be out of stock in most places. The few places that have it will not ship internationally. :(

Is there a common alternative to these two as i have managed to accumulate all the other ingredients and am keen to try my hand at making up the Bootleggers range?

Appreciate the help
I will lead you to the master creator of the Bootlegger's line of aftershave... @OkieStubble. He is best suited to answer your questions.

Top Bottom