What's new

Announcing: The First Shaving Cream Pass Around for European and UK members.

Hey guys I am back, my sincerest apologies for being away so long and messing you all about in regards to the order of soaps. I have had some things going on which needed my time and attention.The reviews you gentleman have done have been nothing short of remarkable. I hope you are all well and I look forward to adding my reviews to the list soon. As for my pass around I shall set the details up Sunday ready to send something out next week. Apologies once more guys and thank you for your patience. Jon
Hey no apology needed first things first and welcome back.

Firstly welcome back Jonno, hope everything has settled down for you.

Reading through this thread and the general high regard for Kapo, I thought I'd share an Ebay link for what seems like a very good price, £2.59 delivered (I don't know why it's continually referred to as Karo)- I know I'll be buying!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252667230264?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

KAPO is "KARO" in the cyrillic alphabet - so they've just transliterated to the Latin alphabet. It means "diamond" btw :) That's a good price especially as it includes free delivery.

While I think of it (because I accidentally did this myself) B&B are fine with links to Ebay that aren't auction links.So links such as the one you posted are fine. I forgot this and posted a link to an auction and got a very friendly and polite reminder - I'm a moderator on another site (nothing to do with shaving) and was really quite embarassed at giving the moderator extra work.

So, 2 reviews in one today, mainly because I've been slammed over the weekend and haven't had time to post.

First up, the Russian Viking. I almost dropped this one, because the tube is about one eighteenth (small exaggeration) the size of the box; meant I had a kind of brain fart moment where I went to drop it out into my hand, but because it didn't quite come out as fast as I expected I sort of went to look in the box, it flew out at a weird angle and I began a brief career as an incompetent circus juggler. It was one of those days to be fair :lol:

Once I'd actually managed to grab the tube and open it, it had a very pleasant scent - put a dash into the bowl and started lathering....WOW. This stuff is amazing - I see they call it "snowy peaks" and it really is - lovely thick, rich lather which stayed firm all the way through 3 passes (and I had left-over). 3 great passes, the razor slid like a dream with no tugs or pulls and I ended up with a beautiful BBS. There was nothing from the alum block and my skin felt great all the rest of the night.

I loved this cream, gets a :thumbup::thumbup: from me. Unfortunately it's not an easy one to find in this country (ok, ok, I mean it's not on ebay, I didn't look that hard) but it's definitely one I will be tracking down. Some dodgy looking EU sites suggest it's only 3-4 euros a tube which is amazing.

Final cream was the Atkinsons - it's another smaller tube, but in an appropriately sized box, so I managed to get this one out without any injury.

Straight away, I was not a fan of the scent - it came across a bit antiseptic-y for me. It was easy enough to get a nice lather although I didn't think it brushed on as well as it looked it would. It was a perfectly good performer, the razor glided easily enough and I got a very good DFS from it - the alum block did nothing, which was good and my skin felt good afterwards.

Overall it didn't wow me though, I suspect probably because the Viking had blown everything else out of the water. Looking on ebay suggests this is a not a cheap cream either, admittedly because of postage from Europe, but still. Perhaps if I'd tried the Atkinson's earlier I might have enjoyed it more. It gets a :001_huh: - it's down with the Florena for me, but the relative price puts it below that.

So, final verdict?

The Russian Viking wins hands down. I loved this stuff, and will definitely find a way to get my hands on some. To say it seems to be a cheap option as well makes it even better.

I really liked the Capo/Caro and the Omega, and have ordered both already so I can have more of a play. I also liked the Viking Active and will probably get some of that too, but I think the other 2 impressed me more.

The Florena and the Atkinson's get the damning praise of "okay". I didn't mind either, but I can't see me picking them up - maybe if I was abroad and they were cheap, I don't think I'd put any more effort in than that.

The Lea...well, let's just pretend that never happened :glare:. I suspect losing the routine of the brushing set me against it quite quickly, but the shave was awful. I'm glad I've used the shave stick, so know they make good stuff, otherwise I would have held this against them.

I want to say thanks to Margor for letting me play with his toys, it was hugely appreciated - and once the Lea was out of the way, it was a fun week :thumbup:.

Package is on its way to you now Jonno

@ Justice_League_Nottingham

I've got a reliable Russian dealer who won't stiff you on postal costs - I've bought from him both on Ebay and outside and found him very good, fair prices for the products and fast shipping in a new Russian post mailer box. PM for details if you'd like contact info.

I agree with you that the Russian Viking cream is downright superb.

Surprised about the Atkins as it's one I like a lot - a real case of YMMV.

Many thanks for your great reviews. I've another cream pass around planned or the New Year which again will be a mix of well-known and not so well-known products from all over Europe and Russia and hope you'll join in.

Mark

Note to our UK members those minor earthquakes you're experiencing are caused by Jonno bouncing up and down in his bathroom chanting "not long now, not long now, hurry up Mr. Postman!!! Is it here yet? Huh?!? Huh?!? Is it here yet?" :wink2:

I've got a reliable Russian dealer who won't stiff you on postal costs - I've bought from him both on Ebay and outside and found him very good, fair prices for the products and fast shipping in a new Russian post mailer box. PM for details if you'd like contact info.

You've made that sound fantastically suspect - do I need a secret phrase to contact him? Something like "Russian bear avoids Siberia in the winter"? :laugh:

I've another cream pass around planned or the New Year which again will be a mix of well-known and not so well-known products from all over Europe and Russia and hope you'll join in.

You bet your *** I will :w00t:

Note to our UK members those minor earthquakes you're experiencing are caused by Jonno bouncing up and down in his bathroom chanting "not long now, not long now, hurry up Mr. Postman!!! Is it here yet? Huh?!? Huh?!? Is it here yet?" :wink2:

That might also explain the reports of a man running up and down his street in a bathrobe shouting "WHERE IS THE PRECIOUS"

You've made that sound fantastically suspect - do I need a secret phrase to contact him? Something like "Russian bear avoids Siberia in the winter"? :laugh:

You bet your *** I will :w00t:

That might also explain the reports of a man running up and down his street in a bathrobe shouting "WHERE IS THE PRECIOUS"

Yup jonno's the one running up and down his street in a bathrobe shouting "WHERE IS THE PRECIOUS" pursued by 9 Nazgul waving aerosol cans of Tesco own brand shaving foam and dodgey rip-offs of Gillette Mach 3s.

Last edited:
That sounds about right! I do feel that Christmas is coming early and I cannot wait to try out the Viking and Kapo Creams. However I do not own a bathrobe so it would involve me running up the street in my semi white y fronts or in this weather my long johns. The bit about my precious is fairly accurate tho plus I would be brandishing my Fat boy and stating loudly whenever I see the postman " thou shall't not pass" [emoji23][emoji23]

The bit about my precious is fairly accurate tho plus I would be brandishing my Fat boy and stating loudly whenever I see the postman " thou shall't not pass" [emoji23][emoji23]

I can't wait to see the reason for redelivery back to me - "We tried to deliver your parcel but the part-time Christmas Balrog was refused entry" :lol:

I would like to think I would inspire awe due to looking like a clean shaven Aragon, however I am more likely to inspire loathing as a clean shaven Gimli instead [emoji23][emoji23] I like the thought of a festive Balrog, wearing a Santa hat with bells on it surrounded by orcs in Christmas elf suits [emoji23][emoji23]

I would like to think I would inspire awe due to looking like a clean shaven Aragon, however I am more likely to inspire loathing as a clean shaven Gimli instead [emoji23][emoji23] I like the thought of a festive Balrog, wearing a Santa hat with bells on it surrounded by orcs in Christmas elf suits [emoji23][emoji23]
Can I take it that that would be a BBS clean shaven festive Balrog what with this being Badger n' Blade an' all?

Omg OMG OMG the eagle has landed, I repeat the eagle has landed. First shave with the creams will be tomorrow night, I am going to go with the Russian Viking tomorrow as my first cream as it is one of the two I am most excited about. My set up will be as follows:
Omega synthetic brush
Cream will be lathered up in a stainless steel bowl that has been soaking in the hot water as I shower.
Razor will be a 1961 Aristocrat Adjustable on setting 8
Blade will be a Feather will shave with the Blade 3 times and then replace to ensure optimum sharpness.

Routine will be 10 minute shower using a foam face wash, followed by massaging a pre shave oil into my skin and leaving for 2 minutes, hot water on face and then lather up. 3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG. Touch up as required but points will be deducted if this is necessary.
Wash face in ice cold water followed by Witch Hazel astringent and finally Fine Snake Bite AS. I look forward to reviewing these creams and thanks to all involved especially Mark for his Generosity in providing this awesome opportunity [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Omg OMG OMG the eagle has landed, I repeat the eagle has landed. First shave with the creams will be tomorrow night, I am going to go with the Russian Viking tomorrow as my first cream as it is one of the two I am most excited about. My set up will be as follows:
Omega synthetic brush
Cream will be lathered up in a stainless steel bowl that has been soaking in the hot water as I shower.
Razor will be a 1961 Aristocrat Adjustable on setting 8
Blade will be a Feather will shave with the Blade 3 times and then replace to ensure optimum sharpness.

Routine will be 10 minute shower using a foam face wash, followed by massaging a pre shave oil into my skin and leaving for 2 minutes, hot water on face and then lather up. 3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG. Touch up as required but points will be deducted if this is necessary.
Wash face in ice cold water followed by Witch Hazel astringent and finally Fine Snake Bite AS. I look forward to reviewing these creams and thanks to all involved especially Mark for his Generosity in providing this awesome opportunity [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Wow that's some routine mine is generally:

Splash face with cold water
Lather in bowl
Cold water shave.
Get rid of soap residue in shower following shave

Plainly I have fallen into a nest of sybarites, and balrogs, and unemployed orc barbers ...

$orc barber.jpg

Top Bottom