What's new

Announcement - Wet Shaving FAQ v1.1

JeffS said:
Great FAQ. Lot's of info, and easy to find.

Just a quick note regarding section 2.2.5 on the types of badger brushes.

You mention that Super Badger and Best Badger are the same. In another article over on classicshaving.com, they say that Super Badger is another name for Silvertip.

http://www.classicshaving.com/articles/article/590351/5618.htm

It was a pretty good article with a lot of information. I'm just curious which one is correct.

-Jeff
Jeff,
While Scotto is certainly correct about the lack of standardization in the naming of badger hair grades, the Classic Shaving web site had put that line about superbadger sometimes called silvertip on a large number of their Vulfix brush web pages. I noted that it has been removed since Vulfix began marketing silvertip grade brushes. Whether it was out of ignorance or as an inducement to buy, I do not know. This I do know though, super badger is not generally accepted to be the same as silvertip in the industry. Unfortunately there has been a great deal of what could be best termed as deceptive practices meant to play on the ignorance of the buying public since sometime during the end of 2005. There is even one resurrected old brush house that has plugged knots and calls them silvertip brushes. In the past, silvertip was always a grade reserved for the highest quality and color tapers, hand selected and packed into the most dense, hand-tied knots. Over the years we have seen various firms exploiting the buying public with new superior grades usually demonstrating superior prices. This particular issue is truly an instance of caveat emptor.

Top Bottom