What's new

Animal welfare - Horse hair v Boar brushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

I've been DE shaving for about 12 months now, and have 3 brushes currently : Omega 10098 boar, Semogue 2015HD Silvertip, and Razorock Plissoft.

I have read recently that the removal / extraction of badger hair are not great for the animals, and I would prefer to avoid using them if possible. I have read that removal / extraction of Horse Hair does not harm the animal.

I have 3 questions :
1. is it true that badgers are harmed in the process of obtaining the hair ?
2. Is it true that horses are not harmed in the process of obtaining the hair ?
3. What about boar brushes ? Is it the boar harmed in the process ?

Thank you.

Answer for your first part is yes. In Northern China, badgers multiply like crazy. They are hunted under license of the government. That's why they are protected species in North America and Europe.
Second part it that no the horse is not harmed, the hair is cut from the horse's mane or tail.
Third is also a yes. The boar is slaughtered for food and the hair is used for brushes of different types.
You could always go synthetic.

Badgers are a source of food in China which is where the bulk of the badger brush hair comes from. The extraction of the badger hair is likely the least of their problems as I suspect it's done later in the process.

Have you looked into synthetic brushes? These brushes are made from nylon or fibres not made from natural sources.

Thanks to all respondents so far.

I realize ethics is never a straightforward, black and white matter.

I do own a synthetic brush, the Razorock Plissoft as mentioned above. I use Proraso Green soap, and to be honest, I find the Razorock to be a very wussy, gormless brush. I don't use it, and don't really like it.

I guess Horse Hair is the way to go.

Thank you

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks to all respondents so far.

I realize ethics is never a straightforward, black and white matter.

I do own a synthetic brush, the Razorock Plissoft as mentioned above. I use Proraso Green soap, and to be honest, I find the Razorock to be a very wussy, gormless brush. I don't use it, and don't really like it.

I guess Horse Hair is the way to go.

Thank you
If you want an excellent synthetic brush that resembles a badger, you have two choices: Muehle STf or a Simpson.
Both have what most other syns lack: backbone

If they we're killing the animals just for their hair I might well feel differently. Since they are taking these animals for food so I'd rather they use as much of the animal as possible.

That and I really like badger brushes.

Have you looked into synthetic brushes? These brushes are made from nylon or fibres not made from natural sources.

Well synthetics may not be all that groovy either for some folks being made from oil and all. Looks like the only commercial brush that is groovy is horse hair.

I've been wondering about the skunk or 'possum road kills though for a knot. That skunk hair sure is pretty...

Boar bristle are obtained in the process of making bacon.....

...as long as the boar has been castrated. Otherwise the testosterone taints the meat and it's called boar taint. Making bacon regularly, I've had to return more than one belly - cured and smoked - to the vendor in exchange for another (hopefully) fresh belly that has no taint. The flavor of the taint can turn your taste buds something fierce.

Last edited:
^this. Boar and badger bristles are a byproduct of the circle of life.
Exactly, Simba would be proud!

Boar bristle are obtained in the process of making bacon.....
proxy.php

And I just had a BLT (well actually no lettuce and only a little tomato) sammy for dinner

They don't kill the horses?
Nope, just give it a haircut.

Funny thread. Only one fella knew about skinning and salting the hide. I won't post unless I have my very own road kill skunk brush ready for a review!

Keep in mind that even if no one ever buys another badger brush, its not going to stop the killing of badgers in China. In China, badgers are considered to be pests and are trapped for food. So, even if everyone stops buying badger brushes, its not going to change a thing. The way I see it, buying a badger brushes means that something good comes out of the death of these badgers: people in China get fed and it contributes to my shaving enjoyment.
About boar, its also harvested after the animal is killed.
Horse hair is the only kind of hair that is harvested without killing the animal.
If animal cruelty bothers you, theres plenty of really great synthetic brushes out there.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I agree with the previous posters, the badger and boar have already been killed for other reasons. Using a boar or badger brush isn't supporting animal cruelty, it's avoiding waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom