What's new

Animal Hair Brushes?

good morning B&B community..

One aspect in DE shaving I have limited experience in, is brushes. Have never used anything but a synthetic brush. My experiences with the synths, especially the Yaqi Mysterious Space, has been nothing but positive. I love using this brush, but without any experience with animal hair brushes, i am in no position to judge and cannot help but feel that I may be missing out on something. Does it produce a better lather? Does if feel different on the face while lathering? Does it give a better overall experience? or is it just hype?

The only thing i really understand about animal hair brushes is that they take time to break in, need to be prepped before use and they take longer to dry. There are so many choices to make!!! Badger, Boar or Horse? and within these main groupings there are so many more options.

I like to face lather and am considering a boar brush, mainly because I can get a good one for a decent price and they have more backbone, but i am open to all suggestions. If i do go for a boar i would prefer to keep the hairs to remain natural but no deal breaker i.e. not painted to look like a badger.

• How do they differ from synthetics?
  • Which animal should i go for?
  • Does an animal brush provide better lather? better face feel? better overall experience?
  • How long do these take to break in, and once broken in how much does their characteristics change? ie do they get floppier/softer
  • Which boar brush? Omega or Semogue?
  • Regarding Semogue, which model should i go for? heard good things about the 610/810 and the 2000?
  • The SOC seems to be the 'deluxe' of the Semogue range with a longer break in period.. is it too big for face lathering? lather hog extraordinaire?
  • If Omega, what models?

I was hoping you guys with experience with these brushes chime in and help me chose my first animal brush. Cheers

My only advice is to not let anybody trick you into getting an Omega 10049 aka "Pro 49" boar.
Too big, too floppy.
Okay to use as a neck duster though. :whistling:

My only advice is to not let anybody trick you into getting an Omega 10049 aka "Pro 49" boar.
Too big, too floppy.

lol thanks John.. this is exactly what i am trying to avoid by asking.. what size knot/loft do you think is optimal for face lalthering?

Semogue 1305

Great facelathering or bowl lathering brush. Takes about a month of shaves to break it in. It takes about 2 days to dry completely.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

good morning B&B community..

One aspect in DE shaving I have limited experience in, is brushes. Have never used anything but a synthetic brush. My experiences with the synths, especially the Yaqi Mysterious Space, has been nothing but positive. I love using this brush, but without any experience with animal hair brushes, i am in no position to judge and cannot help but feel that I may be missing out on something. Does it produce a better lather? Does if feel different on the face while lathering? Does it give a better overall experience? or is it just hype?

The only thing i really understand about animal hair brushes is that they take time to break in, need to be prepped before use and they take longer to dry. There are so many choices to make!!! Badger, Boar or Horse? and within these main groupings there are so many more options.

I like to face lather and am considering a boar brush, mainly because I can get a good one for a decent price and they have more backbone, but i am open to all suggestions. If i do go for a boar i would prefer to keep the hairs to remain natural but no deal breaker i.e. not painted to look like a badger.

• How do they differ from synthetics?
  • Which animal should i go for?
  • Does an animal brush provide better lather? better face feel? better overall experience?
  • How long do these take to break in, and once broken in how much does their characteristics change? ie do they get floppier/softer
  • Which boar brush? Omega or Semogue?
  • Regarding Semogue, which model should i go for? heard good things about the 610/810 and the 2000?
  • The SOC seems to be the 'deluxe' of the Semogue range with a longer break in period.. is it too big for face lathering? lather hog extraordinaire?
  • If Omega, what models?

I was hoping you guys with experience with these brushes chime in and help me chose my first animal brush. Cheers

StratMan,

Since, this would be your first natural hair brush I'll stick to the proven brushes.

If you don't have heavy growth, medium brushes are good enough.

Boars
I've only used Omegas so far but they are really amazing.

Any of the 24/55mm lofts like the 10005, 10066, 11126 will be great, the 10810 is super if you like dense scrubby brushes.
You can break one in super quick too rofl.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

Badgers
I've only used a friend's custom Silvertip and the rest of my badgers belong to Yaqi.

IMHO, Yaqi is up there when it comes to price and performance.
During their special sale period you can get 3 brushes for around $38, it's a no brainer as their 2 band badge is even cheaper than an omega 11126 boar.
Yaqi Triplets.

My favourites are the heavy short handle metal 2 band and Silvertip. There's a typo that list bothbbrushes as Silvertips but the prices will quickly tell the difference.

Their aqua high mountain Silvertip is just pure luxury, but I prefer denser backbones on my brushes.

The mysterious space Silvertip is excellent too.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

lol thanks John.. this is exactly what i am trying to avoid by asking.. what size knot/loft do you think is optimal for face lalthering?
I'm not that fussy or scientific about it.
I use all (something like 10 of them or so) of my brushes for bowl or face lathering.
My smallest (that I use periodically) is a Simpson Wee Scot with a 14 mm wide by 36 mm high knot.
The largest is a 24 mm Synbad.
I use that one about 85% of the time.
Half of them are vintage brushes, with about 20 mm boar knots.
The one thing my favorites have in common is a stubby handle.

I love my synthetics too!

I’d say the only thing you’re really missing in not having an animal hair brush, is the experience/feel itself and the ability to have something with softer tips.

I’d say try a decent badger. Stirling’s might be a good place to start.

Too big, too floppy.

No tricks, it’s a great, inexpensive boar brush.

Too big, too floppy.

I think you just got a bumb knot the 49s are excellent brushes, my MBBM broke in brush is with Rosseforp and he can attest that it has a great backbone still.

My only complain is its too big for me lol.

hey @mawashi cheers for the heads up.. I have just put badger hair brush conquest to rest

just purchased the YAQI Quasar 24mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush from Yaqi Australia.. after reading your review on the silvertip knot, I am really looking forward to giving it a crack and at $35AUD (on special) i love the price

YAQI Quasar 24mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush

and got a YAQI Arator 21mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush for a mate of mine.. same price

YAQI Arator 21mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush

@John Rose thanks for the info.. i will keep it unscientific and go with the flow :)

@GearNoir just read ur message re badger as per above, this search has ended :)

@Chevyguy thanks for your suggestion.. going to start looking into boars exclusively now

My search for a boar goes on................

Semogue 1305

Great facelathering or bowl lathering brush. Takes about a month of shaves to break it in. It takes about 2 days to dry completely.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
The 1305 is a good brush in my opinion as well. I presoaked mine in water ( bristles only ) for one to three hours before each use and it was comfortable to use in about three uses. So, fairly quick break-in.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I love my synthetics too!

I’d say the only thing you’re really missing in not having an animal hair brush, is the experience/feel itself and the ability to have something with softer tips.

I’d say try a decent badger. Stirling’s might be a good place to start.

No tricks, it’s a great, inexpensive boar brush.
Agree about Stirling finest badger brush. He bats way above his price point and is a great option for you.

Oh well, maybe I should've read the whole thread before commenting on individual posts.

But I also hear good things about the Yaqi silvertips. Very good for their price point.

hey @mawashi cheers for the heads up.. I have just put badger hair brush conquest to rest

just purchased the YAQI Quasar 24mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush from Yaqi Australia.. after reading your review on the silvertip knot, I am really looking forward to giving it a crack and at $35AUD (on special) i love the price

and got a YAQI Arator 21mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush for a mate of mine.. same price

YAQI Arator 21mm Silvertip Badger Knot Shaving Brush

@John Rose thanks for the info.. i will keep it unscientific and go with the flow :)

@GearNoir just read ur message re badger as per above, this search has ended :)

@Chevyguy thanks for your suggestion.. going to start looking into boars exclusively now

My search for a boar goes on................

Cool! Let us know how it goes!

Oh well, maybe I should've read the whole thread before commenting on individual posts.

But I also hear good things about the Yaqi silvertips. Very good for their price point.

especially at 40% off :)

and the boar winner is.........

OMEGA PURE BRISTLE SHAVING BRUSH 11137
Ash Wood
Total Height: 113 mm
Loft: 55 mm
Knot: 26mm
Handle Height: 58mm

proxy.php

Hair Material : Silvertip Badger Hair Knot
Handle Material: Resin
Brush Knot Diameter: 24mm
Loft size: 60mm (+/-1mm)
Handle height: 66mm (+/-1mm)
Widest Diameter of the handle: 37mm (+/-1mm)
proxy.php

can anyone tell me the best and quickest way to break these babies in?

There are faster ways to break in a boar, but I actually prefer to just use them into shape. Assuming that your boar is usable when you get it, and most are, take pleasure in feeling it get softer with each shave.

and the boar winner is.........

OMEGA PURE BRISTLE SHAVING BRUSH 11137
Ash Wood
Total Height: 113 mm
Loft: 55 mm
Knot: 26mm
Handle Height: 58mm

proxy.php

Hair Material : Silvertip Badger Hair Knot
Handle Material: Resin
Brush Knot Diameter: 24mm
Loft size: 60mm (+/-1mm)
Handle height: 66mm (+/-1mm)
Widest Diameter of the handle: 37mm (+/-1mm)
proxy.php

can anyone tell me the best and quickest way to break these babies in?

Great choice although I would have gone with the 10005 (cheaper and better handle shape) I have a 11137 btw. Or the 11126, great handle shape and really nice bristles.
Also it's not 26mm it's 24mm.

The badger just needs a few palm lathering to break it in although, it really doesn't need much. Yaqi badgers are petty much ready to go from the start but don't mash the brush against your face and you'll be fine.

There's a MBBM method somewhere out there lol.

Mawashi

Great choice although I would have gone with the 10005 (cheaper and better handle shape) I have a 11137 btw. Or the 11126, great handle shape and really nice bristles.
Also it's not 26mm it's 24mm.

The badger just needs a few palm lathering to break it in although, it really doesn't need much. Yaqi badgers are petty much ready to go from the start but don't mash the brush against your face and you'll be fine.

There's a MBBM method somewhere out there lol.

Mawashi

I went with the 11137 cos of the wooden handle cos i dont have a brush with one yet. The product description page here in Oz lists it at 26mm but maggards list it as 24mm i wasnt sure but ahh well, cant change that now

Also we have a limited range here in Australia.. didnt have a choice of either the two you mentioned.. this is where i got mine from, what else do you like from this selection?

Boar & Horse

would be nice to know cos if i end up liking boar, you can bet this wont be my last :001_cool:

out of curiosity, what is it about the 11137 you didnt like?

Top Bottom