What's new

Angle razor

Okay, I took advantage of Black Friday sale and 10% mailing list sign up discount to order a black one with the roll, will come back. Forewarning, I'm a tough customer, I have countless shavettes, including many of the high end. (Feather DX, SR, Kai Captain/Kasho Carbon folder, endless hair shapers, a bargain half DE, etc.) Might be the new year before I get it and get a chance to evaluate given the holidays, but 'I'll be bahhhck"

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It is easy enough to change the angle of a straight razor with your wrist. Seems this would work in one direction but not so much in the other.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hello Everyone,
First time I have seen this razor.

Has any forum member used it ?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Angle razor
I don't have one and I wouldn't want one. The closure system is interesting but not a dealmaker. The reverse angle turns it from a pivot acting tool to a pull acting tool. Sure, it could be used, and maybe it is almost as good as a regular shavette once you get used to it, but I can get a VERY GOOD shavette online for about $3, and one that is not only very good but also "pretty" for less than $15. The maker of the "Angle" shavette is just trying to do something different and convince people that his way is somehow better, and it is most certainly NOT. You don't think anyone has ever tried this with a regular straight razor or a kamisori? Trust me, if it was better, we would already be doing it that way instead of the way we HAVE been doing it for over a century. This will never even hit "fad" status.

In the realm of DE/half DE shavettes i find a couple issues that need to be mitigated in design or the flimsiness and square ends of the ends become risks and one must be careful and consistent in technique. Flimsy blades, too much blade exposure is bad news IMHO i’d rather have minimal blade exposure and a thin belly with appropriately meaty spine to stay away from bites if/when a grab happens. The square corner, some shavettes have a guard shielding the outside square edge for the blade, the Vanta R-11 does this, as does the Base Tondeo shavette, albeit that one uses proprietary cabinet blades (snapped in half), which are just as flimsy as DE’s. This design looks to have modest unsupported blade exposure, but the belly looks very linear, if not flat. Should have minimal blade flex, how natural the ride and angle discipline is riding countour with the handle shape and very short reach from fulcrum concern me more than anything about the design. Will get to try mine next week.

In the realm of DE/half DE shavettes i find a couple issues that need to be mitigated in design or the flimsiness and square ends of the ends become risks and one must be careful and consistent in technique. Flimsy blades, too much blade exposure is bad news IMHO i’d rather have minimal blade exposure and a thin belly with appropriately meaty spine to stay away from bites if/when a grab happens. The square corner, some shavettes have a guard shielding the outside square edge for the blade, the Vanta R-11 does this, as does the Base Tondeo shavette, albeit that one uses proprietary cabinet blades (snapped in half), which are just as flimsy as DE’s. This design looks to have modest unsupported blade exposure, but the belly looks very linear, if not flat. Should have minimal blade flex, how natural the ride and angle discipline is riding countour with the handle shape and very short reach from fulcrum concern me more than anything about the design. Will get to try mine next week.
Oh, what a YMMV shaving is! Almost nothing of your preferences and conclusions coincident with mine! But what matters is we get a good shave!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Well, first spin this morning, appreciate there's a bit of familiarization with a new razor, especially one that strays from typical design parameters of an established 'type' as the angle does being an angled kamisori shavette with a round handle.

Initial impression:
Nice finish
Well executed
Bit on the light side as one would expect being aluminum

Use:
Ride is natural and fairly easy with the flat belly/linear bevel. Blade exposure is reasonable and the edge is back a little from the rounded end of the nose of the holder.
Handling took a bit of experimentation. I settled on a couple different grips depending upon the reach over contours, I found easiest when possible was to index it by parking a finger tip on the back side of the head (pics illustrate this).

Result:
I normally push ATG 1 with most of my gear, shavettes included. I experimented with ATG left WTG Right, Had some touch-ups on the neck and right so call it BBS 1.5x for first use.

I feel it's a well executed piece of gear one might find intuitive if newer to non-safeties. Coming from folders I'm having to tweak techniques and change grips that I wouldn't do half awake with a folder. We'll see how many appearances it makes in the rotation after the honeymoon is over. It's a fair bit more expensive than my Tachi folding D/E shavette (half D/E) which was my first non-safety and an easy BBS-1 ATG.

Top Bottom