What's new

And you thought it is getting better.....

If you just stop paying the price. Stock will return and prices will drop as they sit on merchandise. Cut down the number of shots per session, shoot a hard recoiling bolt rifle, what ever it takes to shoot just a little less.
It’s not enough for you and me to stop buying-everyone else must also.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It’s not enough for you and me to stop buying-everyone else must also.

Agreed. Some people have a lot of money and no colored television set at home. They could care less about preserving ammo for regular working folk.

Things are not better here in Canada. Earlier this year, 400 series primers from CCI were selling for about $60CDN per 1000. Now, if you can find them, they are selling for $80CDN per 1000. That's quite a jump in less than a year.

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I was pretty involved in reloading mostly rifle using a single stage press. I used my Dillon progressive for pistol cartridges. I haven’t reloaded in 8-10 years. It’s sad to hear how they’re trying to discourage recreational shooting. I wonder what the shelf life is on primers and powders. A construction worker in Germany just set off a bomb from WWII so maybe my stuff is still good??

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I was pretty involved in reloading mostly rifle using a single stage press. I used my Dillon progressive for pistol cartridges. I haven’t reloaded in 8-10 years. It’s sad to hear how they’re trying to discourage recreational shooting. I wonder what the shelf life is on primers and powders. A construction worker in Germany just set off a bomb from WWII so maybe my stuff is still good??
Well stored you should be good! To give you an idea when the USS Missouri was commissioned the ES on that "load" was + or - 10 FPS (Which boggles the mind BTW!). In the 1980s it had crept up to + or - 30 FPS (Which still boggles the mind on a 1500 POUND charge!). The did some magic remixing, etc. and it dropped right back down to the +/-10FPS requirement.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

You should still be good. Dad used to buy shotgun shells by the case for us to go quail hunting. I still have several boxes of 20 gauge shells that were stored in an unheated or cooled garage, but have been inside for the last 30 years or so, that still go bang every time. They are the Sears "Ted Williams" brand from the late '60s. I do use fresh ammo for my carry pistols though...just 'cause.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
You should still be good. Dad used to buy shotgun shells by the case for us to go quail hunting. I still have several boxes of 20 gauge shells that were stored in an unheated or cooled garage, but have been inside for the last 30 years or so, that still go bang every time. They are the Sears "Ted Williams" brand from the late '60s. I do use fresh ammo for my carry pistols though...just 'cause.
I refinished the stock on a Sears J.C.Higgins pump and gave it to my daughter years ago. Am I dating myself?

I started reloading 2-3 years ago in an attempt to be able to shoot my .45 Colt and .45-70 more often. Things were going great until the madness started. Now I haven't been able to shoot in almost 2 years. I wish I had the money at the time to invest in more supplies, but hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. Never in a million years did I think I would struggle to find .45-70, .45 Colt or .303 British. Those were the oddballs that usually had at least one box on the shelf.

OkieStubble

I started reloading 2-3 years ago in an attempt to be able to shoot my .45 Colt and .45-70 more often. Things were going great until the madness started. Now I haven't been able to shoot in almost 2 years. I wish I had the money at the time to invest in more supplies, but hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. Never in a million years did I think I would struggle to find .45-70, .45 Colt or .303 British. Those were the oddballs that usually had at least one box on the shelf.

Amen brother. I have plenty of 'serious ammo,' but have to show alot of restraint over the last couple of years, in making very selective and thought out choices, when attempting to make a dent in the 'practice & fun' ammo storage. Was at Cabela's just last night and seen a bunch of different and popular calibers of ammo on the shelves. Accept for .30.30 and .380, which is exactly what I really need.

But I did see, .45 ACP, 6.5 Creedmoor, I even seen a few boxes of 6.5 Grendel. Lots of 9mm, .40 S&W and .556/.223 and other calibers. They just were at prices I am not used to seeing. I could buy diamonds for the wife and probably come out ahead. ;)

Amen brother. I have plenty of 'serious ammo,' but have to show alot of restraint over the last couple of years, in making very selective and thought out choices, when attempting to make a dent in the 'practice & fun' ammo storage. Was at Cabela's just last night and seen a bunch of different and popular calibers of ammo on the shelves. Accept for .30.30 and .380, which is exactly what I really need.

But I did see, .45 ACP, 6.5 Creedmoor, I even seen a few boxes of 6.5 Grendel. Lots of 9mm, .40 S&W and .556/.223 and other calibers. They just were at prices I am not used to seeing. I could buy diamonds for the wife and probably come out ahead. ;)

No kidding. And the wife would would be happier with diamonds than primers.

And I apologize, I shouldn't come here to complain, this is supposed to be a fun forum. It's my fault I wasn't better prepared. It just sucks.

OkieStubble

And I apologize, I shouldn't come here to complain, this is supposed to be a fun forum. It's my fault I wasn't better prepared. It just sucks.

this is supposed to be a fun forum. It's my fault I wasn't better prepared. It just sucks.

Complain all you need too brother of the arms & ammo, that's what we are here for. :)

And I know how you feel. I have hoarded ammo all my life it seems and it still wasn't enough. I should have picked up reloading 40 years ago. I got no one to blame but myself and I love blaming others for stuff... ;)

As long as desperate consumers are willing to pay silly prices for ammo and reloading components the price will remain silly high.

Not counting inflation and price increases on metals, transport, etc. the bulk of the current pricing is consumer-driven.

Reloading primers are to the current panic what .22lr was to the panic back in 2013-2016.

Our LGS has not had primers in nearly 2 years now. When they did get some last time they sold out in a day and half (the limit was one 100-ct tray per SKU)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 All markets stabilize eventually... Until they destabilize again.

I've gotten ammo online for decent/just slightly higher prices. But I'm going to load every primer I've got before buying more. And a pound of powder lasts a very long time around here.

AA

Top Bottom