What's new

And sometimes everything just falls apart...

I've been wetshaving for about 3 weeks. Week 1 actually went better than I expected. A few tiny nicks, but overall not bad and the quality of the shaves were always at least as good as my pre-DE experience.

Things really improved in week 2 & 3 in terms of getting very good shaves, comfortable, and with few nicks. Plus, I had gotten fast enough.

Along comes Saturday this is my blade changing day. I used my HD and C&E Sandalwood, which has been a good combination for me so far. I wasn't rushed at all. However, this time I loaded up a Gillette blade (package marked Madrid) instead of the Merkurs I'd been using.

As my British friends would say, that's when things went pear-shaped.

Ended up with several cuts and ugly razor bumps on my neck.

So... everybody be careful out there. Bad shaves can happen even when you think you're going pretty well.

Don't know the cause. Could just be that I wasn't careful enough with a brand new blade., maybe I just got a bad blade, or maybe Gillette blades aren't for me.

I'm going to assume the blade was bad and change it to another Gillette tomorrow and be super careful. If I get the same results, those babies are going in the trash.

Or, if you have a large supply, pass them along to someone who finds them the ideal blade. People vary greatly in their response to a given blade. This morning, I tried a Derby Extra for the first time---been using Feather---and had a heck of a time getting a good shave: the blade just didn't seem sharp enough. Yet there are people who swear by Derbies---and at Feathers.

I had a similar experience this morning too! I was starting to get fabulous results with the Merkur blades and decided to switch things up a bit and loaded a Derby. I got a few nicks and a couple of spots of razor burn. So I've decided that all my research is over for blades.

Merkurs :001_smile
Feathers :bored:
Derbys :bored:

Buzz said:
I'm going to assume the blade was bad and change it to another Gillette tomorrow and be super careful. If I get the same results, those babies are going in the trash.

No!! Save them and give them to someone you dislike... :biggrin: Okay, so I'm not being very nice now am I? :blushing:

This morning I loaded a another Gillette blade and paid close attention to good technique and applying no pressure.

While this was an improvement from yesterday, it wasn't as close or comfortable as the Merkurs. I'm concluding that these Gillettes just aren't my style.

I also tried out an alum block for the first time. The jury is still out on it. Not exactly pleasant, but it gave my face a... uhhh... different feel. Smooth, but maybe dry. Need to have a decent shave before I can really say whether I like this or not.

The Merkur blades work so well for me that I'd be nervous to try anything else. They work in my Merkur Long Classic and in my Gillette Tech too.

- Jim

Have you considered ordering a sample pack of blades? You could do so from a certain member of this board. Blades can make a huge difference, and you might end up using diffent blades in each razor that you might own.
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
Have you considered ordering a sample pack of blades? You could do so from a certain member of this board. Blades can make a huge difference, and you might end up using diffent blades in each razor that you might own.
Cheers, DJ.

I've been thinking the same thing --- a sample pack would be ideal.

I'll probably do that.

For the sampler, just send a private message--look in your User CP, and click on "Send New Message"--to letterk. He's the sample pack man!

And welcome!

Good tip.

Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of an international relocation. I'm sort of a moving target right now for anything trying to reach me. A week here, a week there, a week somewhere else, etc.

I'm going to try a sample pack from letterk in a few weeks after I get settled again.

Since the second Gillette blade wasn't really better than the first, I loaded up a Wilkinson Sword blade thing morning. Ahhhh.... much, much better. Both the Wilkinson Sword and Merkur are made in Germany, coincidence? I don't know. Maybe they both come from the same factory but they both seem to work fine for me.

Top Bottom