What's new

And So It Begins...

I've now hit the bakers dozen and while I wait on the blade sampler to arrive, I've done two at home tests with my old cartridge of choice, Bic Flex 3. First test was really because I was in a hurry and as I've found, quickly shaving with a DE is not in my toolbox yet. So I did my prep as always, did a proper lather and proceeded to shave. I got a reasonable one pass WTG, with all of the trouble spots nick free and a burn free Clubman splash. Overall an acceptable shave and 10/10 on comfort. Improved shaving technique due to these past few weeks with a DE was a huge factor here.

The second test came this morning, with a left side cartridge (second use), and a right side DE with the Tech on a 6x used Lab Blue. Both single pass WTG. The DE pass left a slightly better shave with no weepers while the Bic bit a couple of times in the trouble spots. Clubman a/s burn was minimal on both sides, though fairly equal.

One thing that was glaringly clear from these two tests is that DE blades are MUCH sharper than those put in a cartridge.

I saw that you are also in to fountain pens, and I have about 18 myself. I have a mixture of brands, and one vintage. I think TWSIBI is my faviore though.
I am indeed. Ball point pens are overrated. Ironically all of my FP collection is of modern manufacture. I've got a couple of Conklins, one Sailor, one Diplomat, and two custom pens made by a good friend of mine and ex-teammate. The Sailor gets the most use and the Diplomat is very underrated. Such a great pen.

Now inching closer towards 20 DE shaves, I have begun to throw some variables in and trying some new strategies and products. For now the updates: the Fatip is in it, to win it. I get consistently better shaves with it than my Tech. Closer shaves, fewer weepers, much less razor burn with A/S.

On the test block have been TOBS Tobacco Leaf and Wickham Club Cola, and a Gillette Silver Blue.

Both the TOBS and the Wickham have a great scent, albeit very different from each other. I have been pleasantly surprised by the TOBS. While both have lathered well the TOBS seems to stay hydrated longer and provides almost as good a shave in sample form as does Omega. The Omega seems to lubricate slightly better, but only just. The Wickham lathered well but per my experience it seemed to dry out very quickly, and I did not have a great shave with it. In fact, it was the worst shave I've had since using the Fatip. Looking back I'm not sure if it was a lubrication or a cushion problem but the sample of Club Cola is great for smell but the performance just isn't there for me. I will give it another go.

The GSB got it's first run this morning. While I can see why people like it, it is a very smooth blade, I don't believe it's going to stick around very long for me. By the end of my first shave, it was still smooth but it seemed like it was not as sharp as a first shave with a Personna Lab Blue. I had numerous weepers, slight skin irritation and the most A/S burn of any shave with the Fatip. By the end of the shave the blade just didn't cut through facial hair as easily as the Lab Blue.

For years I have said that I was born in the wrong decade (90s). I love some old school things like writing with fountain pens and playing golf; but I certainly am a millennial at heart as technology has been a big part of my life. I had been kicking around the idea of trying to shave with a DE safety razor for years but never did make the jump. I heard it was a waste of time, outdated, and stupid. So for years I started with Gillette disposables, moved on to Mach 3's, used a fusion or two, Shick hydros, dollar shave club, harry's, before settling on Bic flex 3. Without a doubt in my mind, Mach 3's were the mack daddy of shaving.

I stumbled into B&B a month ago or so and begin doing some research, I figured I would finally give this a shot. Thanks to my brother (whom I didn't realize has been DE shaving for 6 years) for letting me borrow his backup Merkur 23c and a brand new Personna Lab Blue, now I am hooked. I have to thank you guys for putting some great recommendations out for newbies. Because of your knowledge, I have developed a pre-shave routine for the first time in my life. I've learned how to make a legitimate lather, and have an idea of how to use a safety razor. I have since purchased a Gillette Gold Tech of my own and some Personna Lab Blue blades to form a foundation of experience on before I start testing other blades and products.

View attachment 1514125

Welcome aboard the SS Enablement - enjoy your gear (lovely Tech and a great razor to start with - also great for discovering other blades). You also have a Fatip already! You are more than well on your way!

And there is plenty of help on the forum should you need assistance. Simply shout out!

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido.

Welcome to B&B!!
Thank you!
Welcome aboard the SS Enablement - enjoy your gear (lovely Tech and a great razor to start with - also great for discovering other blades). You also have a Fatip already! You are more than well on your way!

And there is plenty of help on the forum should you need assistance. Simply shout out!

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido.
Thanks, Guido! The tech was bought because of how well it was received here on the forum. Certainly a great place to start. But the Fatip...oh my! I am a lover of Italian things and that Fatip is a fine tool. In fact, it has put the tech on the bench and is now my baseline DE.

I have a few more acquisitions that I want to make over the coming years, namely a Gillette Slim; but a slant and OC Fatip have my curiosity piqued. For the time, technique is foremost and finding the best fit blade. I've used Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, and Treet Platinum. The Lab Blue and GSB have done very well for me so far while the Treet has been an awful experience.

Looking forward in interacting with you guys. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Welcome to the conversation, John.

It looks like you're settling in nicely. Don't forget to save money wet shaving.

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

In my opinion Fatip razors are some of the best available. Not the most expensive of course, but they work extremely well for many of us. My favorite of the Fatips is the gold FOCS. Some will tell you open comb razors are advanced. Some will tell you slants are advanced. When it comes to the FOCS neither of these point of view seem accurate or applicable in my experience. All the Fatip razors are easy to use, not prone to biting, and quite efficient.

Steep & Shallow Shaving Angles.640.7-22..png

My Fatips are used at a steep angle; the difference between shallow and steep is illustrated above.

Enjoy the journey, ask questions, be persistent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to the conversation, John.

It looks like you're settling in nicely. Don't forget to save money wet shaving.

View attachment 1547717

In my opinion Fatip razors are some of the best available. Not the most expensive of course, but they work extremely well for many of us. My favorite of the Fatips is the gold FOCS. Some will tell you open comb razors are advanced. Some will tell you slants are advanced. When it comes to the FOCS neither of these point of view seem accurate or applicable in my experience. All the Fatip razors are easy to use, not prone to biting, and quite efficient.

View attachment 1547719

My Fatips are used at a steep angle; the difference between shallow and steep is illustrated above.

Enjoy the journey, ask questions, be persistent.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, thank you! I have been away from the forum for quite a while but have almost exclusively shaved with my Fatip (closed comb Grande) since. In fact, the Fatip has kicked the Gillette Tech to the bench. I am very thankful to you and this forum for the knowledge/help you give to newbies like myself and guiding us along the way. I wonder if it is personal or the difference between Fatip's open comb design versus OCS; but I have found the best results with a shallow angle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, thank you! I have been away from the forum for quite a while but have almost exclusively shaved with my Fatip (closed comb Grande) since. In fact, the Fatip has kicked the Gillette Tech to the bench. I am very thankful to you and this forum for the knowledge/help you give to newbies like myself and guiding us along the way. I wonder if it is personal or the difference between Fatip's open comb design versus OCS; but I have found the best results with a shallow angle.

John, whatever works for you is right for you.

Steep & Shallow Shaving Angles.640.7-22..png

I tend to use razors at a steep angle, including the FOCS, but there's nothing wrong with shallow if you like it and it works for you.

Helping others is a part of the B&B culture. You'll find yourself Paying It Forward as time passes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

First year is in the books and like anything, experience goes a long long way. While I haven't kept an exhaustive shave journal, I have kept a barrage of mental notes finding things that I like and others that I don't care to experience again.

Shave Baseline: Fatip Grande Gentile, Gillette Silver Blue, Omega Eucalyptus Soap, Omega Boar Brush, Clubman AS; all preceded with warm water--ProRaso Green pre-shave, chased with cold; Cetaphil daily face lotion during dry/cold months

One year update (equipment used and learnings):

Preshave: ProRaso Green, pre-shave makes a world of difference and is a must if you want a top notch shave. Like going from the minors to the big leagues.

Razors: Merkur 23c, Gillette Gold Tech (Approx 1949 vintage), Fatip Grande Gentile
The Merkur was a good fit but used on trial basis. Gillette is a very very safe razor, and a good place to start. However, I don't know if it is from the plating wearing off/raw brass, my lack of skill, or a combination of the both but my skin just doesn't seem to like the Gillette. It is certainly not aggressive enough for my liking but for a small investment it was a good addition to the medicine cabinet. The Fatip is the winner thus far and is now my baseline.

Blades: Personna Lab Blue, Personna (German)Platinum/Israeli Red, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Treet Platinum, Tiger Superior

Another great lesson learned here was to use all of the same equipment and only change one variable at a time away from your normal routine. I started with Lab Blues, then tried the German made Personnas---these perform very similarly to me with a quality shave and good longevity. Gillette Silver Blue was up next to see if the love was merited...it is, this is currently my favorite. So, so smooth with an appropriate sharpness to fit the Fatip. Gillette Platinum is very close with SB, so much they may rotate being my favorite. Next on the docket: Treet Platinum used for Trick or Treet. I was excited to try the blade but it was just not enjoyable. Thinking I had a dud, tried another with the same harsh shave. Blade wasn't sharp enough for my liking and just left me uncomfortable, bleeding, and very dissatisfied--3/10 at best. Tiger Superior was the last test blade. It's pretty good/not bad. It didn't have the smoothness nor the edge of the Gillette and Personna pairs. It was a serviceable shave and would put it around a 6/10, could improve with a fresh batch of ProRaso preshave.

Soap: Omega Eucalyptus, Taylor OBS Tobacco Leaf, Wickham 1912 Club Soda

Omega soap is like a Labrador. Does everything well, isn't flashy, and just flat out works. TOBS Tobacco Leaf has a good scent, provides a good enough shave but has been hit or miss on providing a great shave. It errs on a little thin, doesn't cushion like Omega. I think there are better options on the market; I would give it a 6.5/10. Wickham Club Soda is another great scent; very bright and seemingly fitting for spring/summer. I just don't like the performance. It is step down from TOBS.
*TOBS and Club Soda were small samples thrown into an order; I've read that can make a difference--alas no matter meticulously I tried, performance was worse than Omega.

After shave: Clubman, the only one that I have tried---and it works for me. I'll branch out in year two.

Summary: This first year has been great and I thank you guys for the guidance. I have a good firm understanding of somethings I like and some that I don't. I have managed to enjoy shaving for the first time ever and have kept expenses fairly low. Year two will continue with refining my skill and trying some other products. Of course lurking the forum to see what I can learn from you guys.

Top Bottom