What's new

And so begins the RAD...

Today I took a trip to Gladewater, TX, whose claim to fame is a lot of antique shops. I was on the lookout for fountain pens, and now perhaps a DE razor. I got lucky in the second shop I visited. There was a case full of safety razors, and even a couple of what used to be straight edge razors. I picked out a Gillette adjustable in good shape for $15.

When I arrived home, what did I find in my mailbox but the razor I bought from Dreadpirate. (BTW, thanks for the blade sampler!) So now, I'm debating which one to use first. Decisions, decisions.

What can I look for in order to identify year of manufacture, etc. on the adjustable?

Moose

I picked out a Gillette adjustable in good shape for $15.

What can I look for in order to identify year of manufacture, etc. on the adjustable?

Moose

You mean to say there was a case full and you only picked out one....:confused:
Hey, if you go back clean them out and I'll pay the shipping + really...

The date code will be on the bottom of the head. A letter then a number.
Post it and I'll tell you what it is.

How about a picture?

The code is L4, looks like a 1966 slim adjustable.

IIRC, there was another slim adjustable, a toggle, and some others. I think they roll up the sidewalks there on Sundays, but I can probably head out there next weekend. It would work out to $16.24 each, with tax.

I'll try to post pics of my find tomorrow.

Moose

The code is L4, looks like a 1966 slim adjustable.

IIRC, there was another slim adjustable, a toggle, and some others. I think they roll up the sidewalks there on Sundays, but I can probably head out there next weekend. It would work out to $16.24 each, with tax.

I'll try to post pics of my find tomorrow.

Moose

Yep L4 1966 4th quarter. Nice find.

You mean to say there was a case full and you only picked out one....:confused:
Hey, if you go back clean them out and I'll pay the shipping + really...

The date code will be on the bottom of the head. A letter then a number.
Post it and I'll tell you what it is.

How about a picture?

LOL "you only picked out one"

I don't see myself buying any more razors off the internet soon, but if I saw a bunch of DE's behind a display case I think I would have to splurge.

LOL "you only picked out one"

I don't see myself buying any more razors off the internet soon, but if I saw a bunch of DE's behind a display case I think I would have to splurge.

There was a method to what most on this board would think of as my madness. Remember, I had never used a DE, so I didn't know if I was going to chiffonade my face with one. Second, it was probably the best-looking one out of the bunch, and only required a minimum of cleanup.

I plan to go back next week and see what's there. In addition to the ones Thirdeye wanted, there were a couple of straight razors (needing serious TLC), and a couple of Gillette three-piece models.

Moose

The only DE I have ever used is a Merkur HD. It works great, meaning I would feel silly just buying another one when I know I own the sure thing.

But I still find myself curious as how to others perform. The butterfly ones look pretty neat.

I've bought something close to ten razors in the past week or so. I plan to give a few away, and maybe sell a couple if I can. I think RAD did get me. My friends are asking me if I've bought any new ones lately.

RAD is the most surprising one to hit me, I figured I might try a bunch of soaps, maybe a couple different brushes, but never saw myself getting more that 3-4 razors....oh, how mistaken I was....just check me wiki....but in my defense, it's hard to pass over razors in decent - quite good condition for only $2 - $5, + a couple of $15 deals

Have to agree with Sol. I'm such a products kind of guy that I figured I'd be hunting down creams from God knows where. Instead, I'm now hunting down razors. By the end of the week, my total number of razors will be 4, with a Slim Adjustable and a Tech on the way. I don't know how much willpower I would be able to exert if I walked into an antique shop and saw a bunch of razors in a case for a decent price...

Top Bottom