What's new

And now for something completely different....contest/PIF

wow, went on youtube to find the proust summarzing contest and could only find a 17 second snippet from it.

OK, so here's the first update (of probably many).

I have done two shaves since posting this, first on Friday evening and then again yesterday morning. For the first shave I used a Rubberset 400 with a Plissoft synthetic knot; the the second, the smallest brush I own, which is also a synthetic, and whose maker I can't remember right now.

Anyway, I loaded like crazy and had plenty of lather for two passes, touch-up, and washed a bunch down the drain, moreso on Friday than on Sunday.

Book reading was sparse over the weekend compared with most weekends, because I had to work, and work got busy. Also, my wife and I agreed (well, really she volunteered and I didn't see a way to fight back) to foster three little kittens for the next two weeks, and it took a lot of time to go fetch them, get their stuff set up in the house, convince my own cat not to kill them, etc.

That said, I did get a bit of reading in. My Kindle tells me that I am now 21% finished with the book.

OK, so here's the first update (of probably many).

I have done two shaves since posting this, first on Friday evening and then again yesterday morning. For the first shave I used a Rubberset 400 with a Plissoft synthetic knot; the the second, the smallest brush I own, which is also a synthetic, and whose maker I can't remember right now.

Anyway, I loaded like crazy and had plenty of lather for two passes, touch-up, and washed a bunch down the drain, moreso on Friday than on Sunday.

Book reading was sparse over the weekend compared with most weekends, because I had to work, and work got busy. Also, my wife and I agreed (well, really she volunteered and I didn't see a way to fight back) to foster three little kittens for the next two weeks, and it took a lot of time to go fetch them, get their stuff set up in the house, convince my own cat not to kill them, etc.

That said, I did get a bit of reading in. My Kindle tells me that I am now 21% finished with the book.
Holy cow, nearly a quarter without "much reading?" Is it just 21% of the volume, or of the whole she-bang? I think I put my money on the wrong horse here.

Holy cow, nearly a quarter without "much reading?" Is it just 21% of the volume, or of the whole she-bang? I think I put my money on the wrong horse here.
I was already about 17% through when I posted the thread, or thereabouts. I think I mentioned that. And yes, it is of the whole she-bang.

You will be happy to know that I forgot my kindle today, so I won't be doing my usual lunch-hour reading. I will be shaving tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nothing.

You will not finish soap or book. You will get tired of both.
Ha! Love this.

I can guarantee you I will finish the soap. The book.....one never knows. If I give up on the book, those who chose the soap will be in the PIF, because the soap will be finished at some point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't want any more soap right now, but can I ask two questions.
  • How do you like the soap and its scent?
  • Are you enjoying the book?
Both are obviously related to the PIF's outcome.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't want any more soap right now, but can I ask two questions.
  • How do you like the soap and its scent?
  • Are you enjoying the book?
Both are obviously related to the PIF's outcome.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Question 1. I love the Soapy Science soaps. They work really well for me. This is at least the third puck of their soaps that I have gone through. As for the scent, I really like it. I mean, I'm the guy they named it after, for crying out loud! Yes, because I was a beta-tester, and I really liked this scent when it showed up in a small sample. The soap base the scent was in was not very good. I remember sending them a message that if I could just get this scent in version 7.2, I would ecstatic. When they finally produced the soap base that would go to market, they included my favorite scent. Since I am a doctor, and the maker calls me "doc," they named the scent "Doc's Special Blend."
It's not for everybody. I've been told that people in Europe say it smells like some kind of medicinal salve that their parents used on them when they were children and got sick. It has some wintergreen in it. Peppermint, too. But also vetiver and some other darker scents. Unlike any other soap scent I've come across. Because of the peppermint and wintergreen, it has a slight cooling sensation (no menthol). A winner, for me.

Question 2. The book I am really enjoying. It's wordy, and sometimes he goes on about stuff that isn't that interesting, but he has a ton of insights into human behavior that are really deep. And it's fascinating to see that the human psyche and the foibles of humanity haven't really changed much (if at all) since the book was written.
It remains to be seen whether it will hold my interest for the entire 4500+ pages, but so far I still look forward to reading it a little bit each day.

Thanks for asking.

I'm in! When I used to read a lot, I could read a normal novel in two sittings. This soap takes forever to finish. So, I'll say the book will be done before the puck. As far as being squeamish about used soap, HAH! I raised 7 children. I wasn't the first to the soap for more than 20 years.

I'm in. And I'm betting on the book.

I'm currently training to get through that one. I'm starting off light, with James Michener's The Covenant. And that soap sounds very interesting. Peppermint, wintergreen, and dark scents. I can see that working.

I would love to be in on this, if I am not too late. Feel strongly that you’ll finish the book first.

That scent sounds intriguing; seems like it might be polarizing, as unique things tend to be. Suspect I would be in the like camp on that.

I'm in. And I'm betting on the book.

I'm currently training to get through that one. I'm starting off light, with James Michener's The Covenant. And that soap sounds very interesting. Peppermint, wintergreen, and dark scents. I can see that working.
I would not call The Covenant a light read. Relatively light in comparison, but not light. My favourite Michener was Mexico. Enjoy!

That one's next. Don't spoil it!

I live, and grew up in Maryland. There's a law somewhere that says every home must display on a bookshelf a copy of Chesapeake. That was all it took. That and a trip to Easton.

If not to late, I’m in and vote for the book.

The longest books I’ve read are probably Atlas Shrugged and Lord of the Rings. They took me a while, but probably not as long as a soap.

Great, but guys, just to clarify, the comments about the soap and its scent were about the soap I am trying to use up, not the one I'm going to give away. Just want to make sure there is no confusion.

The soap that will belgiven away is a modern recreation of vintage williams, but it smells like Jeris hair tonic.

If you are interested in Doc's Special Blend, you can find it at www.soapyscience.com.

Top Bottom