What's new

And Now A Word From No One Special

That is probably one of the most frustrating things about SR shaving, be it your prep, shave or honing.

I might go back to the good old days of cart shaving. No frustration with just consistent results 😱.
Call it odd, but I found that I cut myself more often with cartridges than I did with my DE. I showered with no mirror and shaved in 90 seconds with my DE. Something about a cartridge--perhaps that I had to use more pressure--made me more prone to nick myself. "A sharp knife is a safe knife" kinda thing maybe.

Enjoy the journey and trying new honing techniques. Remember to have fun and learn your kit before buying more stuff.
Thank you, @Possum092. I am having a lot of fun and not a day goes by where I don't learn something.

Like I said, I wanted to make sure I could put a satisfactory edge on two rescue razors before touching my Dovo. Done and Done. Two is good, three is better, but I still feel it can be beginner's luck. After a few more fine edges, I'll begin to branch out and try new things. I want to make absolutely certain that "I've got this," before I change anything about the routine.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks, Slash. I've read "The Instructions," "The Method," and would respectfully submit that I feel my game is looking very positive. The blade came was "tuggy" after diamond stropping, and smooth as silk after a JNAT progression. It it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda thing. :) The HHT has never had any bearing on my comfort in my shaves, and my shaves are close, comfortable, and my edges have never seen a diamond. If there's a pressing reason to change that, I'll be the first one to do it. At this moment--things are far too good to change a thing! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup:
A method edge should never be "tuggy". Something isn't right there. But the main thing is that you are getting an edge that you enjoy shaving with. If Jnats are doing it for you, you are in good company, and lots of it. IMHO a good Jnat edge is the second best edge you can get, so you are still leading the pack. Once you have already paid for those rocks, nothing wrong with using them. However, I would urge you to revisit Method honing in a year or two, so don't toss your balsa just yet.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Call it odd, but I found that I cut myself more often with cartridges than I did with my DE. I showered with no mirror and shaved in 90 seconds with my DE. Something about a cartridge--perhaps that I had to use more pressure--made me more prone to nick myself. "A sharp knife is a safe knife" kinda thing maybe.
Probably because a cart shave generally requires a bit of pressure, and a fresh blade in a DE does not.

keep at it sparky, different materials are a fun journey.

right now I'm in love with this.

20220309_204414.jpg

I don't think that there is one Supreme method.

in my mind, varying methods just provide different results.

this is where choice and preferences develop.

camo

I have found that once you have learned to consistently get a good edge by whatever method you're comfortable with, you have two options.

The first option is to be happy with what you have and keep doing it that way. Nothing wrong with that if you still get the results you like

The second option is to change looking for a better, more convenient or just a different way. You do this with the knowledge that if it doesn't work you can always go back to what you know works for you.

Neither option is right or wrong. The important thing in my view is to firstly find that option that works.
This second option has been exactly my approach. Learn to do one thing well before branching out. It’s nice to have a sure fire thing to fall back on when the honing gods are conspiring against you.

I would also add that learning to put consistently good edges onto two razors does not make you a honing expert who is capable of tackling any task. It may very well make you an expert at honing those two razors though.

As I’ve moved forward in my SR adventures I’ve bought more an more razors. Time and time again I’ve been puzzled at why my previously successful technique wasn’t working anymore. The fact is that different razors need to be honed in different ways due to quirks in their geometry. People with lots of razors make their life harder than it needs to be but they learn to spot and deal with different types of razors. Some honing methods are more forgiving than others when dealing with those “not so straight” straight razors. I now read the edge and bevel pattern to guide the approach that I am going to take with a specific razor. A marker and a loupe are powerful tools for anyone that is learning to hone.

Last edited:
This second option has been exactly my approach. Learn to do one thing well before branching out. It’s nice to have a sure fire thing to fall back on when the honing gods are conspiring against you.

I would also add that learning to put consistently good edges onto two razors does not make you a honing expert who is capable of tackling any task. It may very well make you an expert at honing those two razors though.

As I’ve moved forward in my SR adventures I’ve bought more an more razors. Time and time again I’ve been puzzled at why my previously successful technique wasn’t working anymore. The fact is that different razors need to be honed in different ways due to quirks in their geometry. People with lots of razors make their life harder than it needs to be but they learn to spot and deal with different types of razors. Some honing methods are more forgiving than others when dealing with those “not so straight” straight razors. I now read the edge and bevel pattern to guide the approach that I am going to take with a specific razor. A marker and a loupe are powerful tools for anyone that is learning to hone.

Different strokes.

If your goal is to spend the least amount of money shaving (other than not shaving) over the course of your lifetime, buy two inexpensive, vintage straight razors with nearly perfect grinds on eBay (like two Union Spikes) and a 6 x 2 x 0.5 inch Dan's hard black Ark from a large online retail knife store. You will spend very little money, every shave will be great, but every shave will be the similar.

If your goal is to learn about and experience lots of different razors and hones, and yack it up with other folks who share your interest, you have come to the right place :).

Different strokes.

If your goal is to spend the least amount of money shaving (other than not shaving) over the course of your lifetime, buy two inexpensive, vintage straight razors with nearly perfect grinds on eBay (like two Union Spikes) and a 6 x 2 x 0.5 inch Dan's hard black Ark from a large online retail knife store. You will spend very little money, every shave will be great, but every shave will be the similar.

If your goal is to learn about and experience lots of different razors and hones, and yack it up with other folks who share your interest, you have come to the right place :).
That’s pretty much the exact setup that I have at my holiday house. Two old Bengall rescue razors, a mystery vintage 6x2x0.5 trans ark and an old horse hide strop. It’s pretty much all you will ever need. I had to buy a lot of stuff to figure that out.

That’s pretty much the exact setup that I have at my holiday house. Two old Bengall rescue razors, a mystery vintage 6x2x0.5 trans ark and an old horse hide strop. It’s pretty much all you will ever need. I had to buy a lot of stuff to figure that out.
You have to be careful with that type of statement. If my wife reads this I am in big trouble:)

Hello to all.

It's been over a month since my mentor-led, newly-learned ability to put an edge on a SR has made me a happy man. It started with a new Dove Prima Steel from The Superior Shave that likely came with an excellent edge, but I ran it along a diamond pasted balsa strop and probably ruined it. That first shave was terrible. There was a chance that the blade was terrible straight from the hands of the proprietor, but I don't think that happened. It came with a convex bevel, and I think I nixed that with the strop.

I put that blade aside, got chummy with a wonderful member here who taught me, much like Pei Mei, except my mentor isn't Asian and I'm not blonde. :) Here was MY game plan--do it once, do it twice to confirm it's not beginner's luck, then make the Dovo a shaver.

View attachment 1456122

I know, elementary to most everyone here; but this man taught me something earth-shatteringly simple. He said, "Our catchphrase will be patience." He told me I would fail, and to learn from those failures. He told me to buy the cheapest blade I could find on eBay that will be no looker, but a practice edge. I lucked into a lovely Wade & Butcher for a steal. It was not shave ready, but with guidance, and LOTS of patience, I made it a shaver. Next was a W.H. Morely which was also in good condition, but wasn't a single-digit price, but not much more. I made that a shaver too.

Coming up on a 5 or 6 weeks now, I look back with gratitude and the knowledge of standard operating procedure. I'll not dog anyone's method, but I know with certainty this is not complicated, it just takes repetition and a strong sense of restraint. I shall NOT attempt to chase perfect. Perfection is the roadblock to progress. I'm not at a stage where I try to improve on "THIS" blade with knowledge of what I did to the "LAST" blade. For a guy like me, this is the kiss of death.

I only repeat what I did last time. This rationale of, "if it worked yesterday, it'll work today," has proven to be true.

In that time space I bought a beautiful Ralf Aust (not for a steal, but for a very fair price) right here on the BST forum. That came "not shave ready" as conveyed by the seller, but I found it to be "passable." Instead of taking it to a stone, I stropped it into submission.

I'll cut to the chase. When I made a blade or two shave ready, only then would I ruin chance my skills on my Dovo. I have since put an edge on my Dovo that is one of my best.

I'm no virtuoso. I'm a beginner who knows less than some of you folks have forgotten. I know enough to know what's dangerous--and this was taught. Left to my own devices, I'd have over $1,000 worth of gear and I'd have likely given up a few weeks ago. I am no one special. I listened and learned.

Here's my routine--
1. Learn to create a shave ready edge. Make it so.
2. Strop it before every shave (linen after every shave isn't a bad thing either, but I haven't found it critical).
3. Take a stone to the blade ONLY when a strop doesn't maintain that shave-ready edge.
4. When I have a question, I ASK!

When my electrician apprentice students catch wind that "scale is $40 here in FL, but $61 in California." I remind them that economics dictates if there was ONE place an electrician could work and be better-off than all the others--every electrician would live there. You might make 50% more money "over there," but a one bedroom apartment "over there" costs FAR more than it does here. There is no magic bullet, no "easier, softer way." The grass IS NOT greener. The way this ties into what I've learned here, is that if there was one way to do things that way would be revered by all--everyone would be doing it, and all other methods would fall by the wayside. This routine would be so famous, it would be a proper noun. I have yet to learn "The Way," or "Here's How You Do It." When I do, I'll let you all know. I have simply learned, "This works!" I am no one special.

To the newcomers, please know, you DO NOT need to be aware of any classified material that's in a safe, in an underwater cave, guarded by Medusa. You don't need to spend upwards of $500 on Shapton glass. You DO have to know that "shave ready" begins with setting a bevel. Then refining it. It doesn't take expensive toys to do it. It takes patience and a willingness to learn from your failures. There is no "secret." There certainly no "my way or the highway," and forget the "follow my method to the letter," routine. If my routine was "The Way," I would either be a professor emeritus somewhere in Solingen, or at the very least, I'd have an office at MIT. Lastly, mankind could throw out centuries of knowledge. Alas, I am no one special.

I am indescribably grateful not only for what I've learned, but for having let go of my past tendencies to always improve on "the last time." One day I'll try out other methods. They will not be a huge departure from what I've been taught. Never will I change more than one variable at a time. Finally, I won't depart from what works until I'm at the top of my game. I expect to be there around when I'm on my deathbed.

The same way I'm going to use my mentor until he puts my phone number on block--YOU should ask questions. Most importantly; heed the advice you're given (or don't ask). I don't say this from the high tower. But, why ask a question if your only intention is to confirm you already had the right answer?
This is so seductive. No. I mean encouraging.

I've taken your advice to learn to SR shave first. In about 70 or so more shaves I'm going to learn to create my own bevel and refine it.

I'll be asking you tons of questions at that point.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

I've taken your advice to learn to SR shave first. In about 70 or so more shaves I'm going to learn to create my own bevel and refine it.

Annex III of the Instructions may be of assistance to you.

Videos can be both educational and inspirational. @gary haywood has been posting some terrific videos on YouTube. Just search YouTube for "Gary Haywood".

Depending on your technique and beard toughness, you may be "forced" to learn honing sooner than 70 shaves. You might not need to set a bevel but I bet you'll need to touch up an edge that no longer has the juice to get the job done.

IMO lapping film is great way to start honing because it's consistent and cheap compared to a set of natural or synthetic stones.

Top Bottom