What's new

And Now A Word From No One Special

Hello to all.

It's been over a month since my mentor-led, newly-learned ability to put an edge on a SR has made me a happy man. It started with a new Dove Prima Steel from The Superior Shave that likely came with an excellent edge, but I ran it along a diamond pasted balsa strop and probably ruined it. That first shave was terrible. There was a chance that the blade was terrible straight from the hands of the proprietor, but I don't think that happened. It came with a convex bevel, and I think I nixed that with the strop.

I put that blade aside, got chummy with a wonderful member here who taught me, much like Pei Mei, except my mentor isn't Asian and I'm not blonde. :) Here was MY game plan--do it once, do it twice to confirm it's not beginner's luck, then make the Dovo a shaver.

1652625591199.png

I know, elementary to most everyone here; but this man taught me something earth-shatteringly simple. He said, "Our catchphrase will be patience." He told me I would fail, and to learn from those failures. He told me to buy the cheapest blade I could find on eBay that will be no looker, but a practice edge. I lucked into a lovely Wade & Butcher for a steal. It was not shave ready, but with guidance, and LOTS of patience, I made it a shaver. Next was a W.H. Morely which was also in good condition, but wasn't a single-digit price, but not much more. I made that a shaver too.

Coming up on a 5 or 6 weeks now, I look back with gratitude and the knowledge of standard operating procedure. I'll not dog anyone's method, but I know with certainty this is not complicated, it just takes repetition and a strong sense of restraint. I shall NOT attempt to chase perfect. Perfection is the roadblock to progress. I'm not at a stage where I try to improve on "THIS" blade with knowledge of what I did to the "LAST" blade. For a guy like me, this is the kiss of death.

I only repeat what I did last time. This rationale of, "if it worked yesterday, it'll work today," has proven to be true.

In that time space I bought a beautiful Ralf Aust (not for a steal, but for a very fair price) right here on the BST forum. That came "not shave ready" as conveyed by the seller, but I found it to be "passable." Instead of taking it to a stone, I stropped it into submission.

I'll cut to the chase. When I made a blade or two shave ready, only then would I ruin chance my skills on my Dovo. I have since put an edge on my Dovo that is one of my best.

I'm no virtuoso. I'm a beginner who knows less than some of you folks have forgotten. I know enough to know what's dangerous--and this was taught. Left to my own devices, I'd have over $1,000 worth of gear and I'd have likely given up a few weeks ago. I am no one special. I listened and learned.

Here's my routine--
1. Learn to create a shave ready edge. Make it so.
2. Strop it before every shave (linen after every shave isn't a bad thing either, but I haven't found it critical).
3. Take a stone to the blade ONLY when a strop doesn't maintain that shave-ready edge.
4. When I have a question, I ASK!

When my electrician apprentice students catch wind that "scale is $40 here in FL, but $61 in California." I remind them that economics dictates if there was ONE place an electrician could work and be better-off than all the others--every electrician would live there. You might make 50% more money "over there," but a one bedroom apartment "over there" costs FAR more than it does here. There is no magic bullet, no "easier, softer way." The grass IS NOT greener. The way this ties into what I've learned here, is that if there was one way to do things that way would be revered by all--everyone would be doing it, and all other methods would fall by the wayside. This routine would be so famous, it would be a proper noun. I have yet to learn "The Way," or "Here's How You Do It." When I do, I'll let you all know. I have simply learned, "This works!" I am no one special.

To the newcomers, please know, you DO NOT need to be aware of any classified material that's in a safe, in an underwater cave, guarded by Medusa. You don't need to spend upwards of $500 on Shapton glass. You DO have to know that "shave ready" begins with setting a bevel. Then refining it. It doesn't take expensive toys to do it. It takes patience and a willingness to learn from your failures. There is no "secret." There certainly no "my way or the highway," and forget the "follow my method to the letter," routine. If my routine was "The Way," I would either be a professor emeritus somewhere in Solingen, or at the very least, I'd have an office at MIT. Lastly, mankind could throw out centuries of knowledge. Alas, I am no one special.

I am indescribably grateful not only for what I've learned, but for having let go of my past tendencies to always improve on "the last time." One day I'll try out other methods. They will not be a huge departure from what I've been taught. Never will I change more than one variable at a time. Finally, I won't depart from what works until I'm at the top of my game. I expect to be there around when I'm on my deathbed.

The same way I'm going to use my mentor until he puts my phone number on block--YOU should ask questions. Most importantly; heed the advice you're given (or don't ask). I don't say this from the high tower. But, why ask a question if your only intention is to confirm you already had the right answer?

Last edited:
Honing and shaving are like golf. Most people can play a good shot every once in a while, but with so many variables, it's the consistency of good results that separate the amateur from the professional.

Keeping that in mind, I admire your goal of shunning constant improvement in favour of consistent results. I think that mindset will inevitably lead to improvement. It lays a very good foundation for further experimentation.

Being a fully fledged member of the pasted balsa brigade, I often wonder how good my honing skills really are. I think pasted balsa lets you get away with imperfect honing, even though the end result is consistently much better than I would ever achieve with stones only.

BTW my golf is rubbish, I am a fair-weather golfer in Scotland so I don't golf at all in winter and even in summer, the weather often curtails my plans for a game. Shaving I do daily, so I would probably award myself a 10 handicap for shaving, trending towards a single digit, if there was such a thing. :c9:

Last edited:
@SparkyLB you’re about 6 weeks ahead of me on your SR journey (I have 3 SR shaves under my belt) and I’ve followed your posts since you started.

I think we have some similar characteristics. When I start something new I need to get all the best (ie most expensive) stuff right away, and your posts have reminded me that is definitely not necessary.

Thank your for reminding me to take it slow, expect mistakes and learn from them. That the best tools are useless without the skills to use them. That experience is where those skills come from.

I’m starting out with a shave ready edge from @rbscebu so I don’t need to learn how to hone yet. That will be next once I get better at SR shaving. One step at a time.

Thanks for posting about your journey. It’s been inspiring to see else go from complete noobie to an experienced shaver.

I’d love to take credit for the premise of, “shunning constant improvement in favor of consistent results.” That goes against my grain. My mentor made clear if he were to take me on— patience shall be the raison d'etre. I want it all now and always have. A straight razor to the throat seems as good a reason as any for patience.

I’m a lucky man. I remind him often of his importance and selflessness, but he’s bullheaded and will take no credit!

@SparkyLB you’re about 6 weeks ahead of me on your SR journey (I have 3 SR shaves under my belt) and I’ve followed your posts since you started.

I think we have some similar characteristics. When I start something new I need to get all the best (ie most expensive) stuff right away, and your posts have reminded me that is definitely not necessary.

Thank your for reminding me to take it slow, expect mistakes and learn from them. That the best tools are useless without the skills to use them. That experience is where those skills come from.

I’m starting out with a shave ready edge from @rbscebu so I don’t need to learn how to hone yet. That will be next once I get better at SR shaving. One step at a time.

Thanks for posting about your journey. It’s been inspiring to see else go from complete noobie to an experienced shaver.
I am the same way regarding buying the best--my mentor has drilled into my hard head that this requires knowledge, not toys.

As far as, "thank you for reminding me to take it slow..." LOL. I'll pass that on to him--although I'm sure he'll read this. Taking it slow, patience, learning from others' mistakes--that's ALL him. That mindset goes against every fiber of my being. :)

Like you, he was kind enough to also send me a razor he said he wasn't using anymore so I could have a "reference edge." How nice is that?

It's been a pleasure posting about my journey. That's about the only thing that comes from ME. :)

A big thank you to @SparkyLB's mentor for vicariously reminding me to be patient! The rational part of my brain has always known this, but is constantly overruled by the impulsive part that needs shiny new things. You helped the rational part win this round.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hello to all.

It's been over a month since my mentor-led, newly-learned ability to put an edge on a SR has made me a happy man. It started with a new Dove Prima Steel from The Superior Shave that likely came with an excellent edge, but I ran it along a diamond pasted balsa strop and probably ruined it.

The pasted balsa, properly prepared and used, cannot ruin an edge. I recommend you revisit the balsa when you are ready to up your game, and after reading the pasted balsa thread and paying close attention to all of the details. It is a real game changer. Meanwhile, congratulations on your excellent progress.

Thanks, Slash. I've read "The Instructions," "The Method," and would respectfully submit that I feel my game is looking very positive. The blade came was "tuggy" after diamond stropping, and smooth as silk after a JNAT progression. It it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda thing. :) The HHT has never had any bearing on my comfort in my shaves, and my shaves are close, comfortable, and my edges have never seen a diamond. If there's a pressing reason to change that, I'll be the first one to do it. At this moment--things are far too good to change a thing! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... If there's a pressing reason to change that, I'll be the first one to do it. At this moment--things are far too good to change a thing! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup:
Enjoyment is the main thing. Pasted balsa stropping is not for everyone. Whichever way an SR shaver chooses the edge finish for him or her, the main thing is to enjoy the whole shaving experience.

Amen, @rbscebu. My only regret is I don't get to play in the slurry often enough. I'm shocked to find how my edges--all 5 of them are as good as they were on the day they were honed; or dare I say, getting better!

I must resist the temptation to make things better. I've been an, "I can tweak this just a little bit," kinda guy my whole life. I just don't see the point with this. When my blades need revisiting, I know exactly what to do.

Best of all, I know you guys are ALWAYS here for me!!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As we progress in our SR shaving adventure, we start to forget what it was like for n00bies. That is why it is important for those who can still remember well to help and guide those n00bies. "Experts" are not necessarily the best for advice.

I expect that soon I will be past my use-by date for advising n00bies. I just hope that members like @Seelector and @SparkyLB can take over.

As we progress in our SR shaving adventure, we start to forget what it was like for n00bies. That is why it is important for those who can still remember well to help and guide those n00bies. "Experts" are not necessarily the best for advice.

I expect that soon I will be past my use-by date for advising n00bies. I just hope that members like @Seelector and @SparkyLB can take over.
I am humbled. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. Let me get my house in order first! :)
My motto: If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
That there's funny!! That's right up there with, "If there's nothing wrong with it, you're not trying hard enough."

I must resist the temptation to make things better. I've been an, "I can tweak this just a little bit," kinda guy my whole life. I just don't see the point with this. When my blades need revisiting, I know exactly what to do.
Let me know how long that lasts. Although I think you said you have a reference blade from your mentor, so at least you kind of know what is possible.

I'm always trying to get my edges juuuuuust a little better. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Always a learning experience, though, and overall, they are improving. Sometimes the stars align and you hit one out of the park without quite knowing why.

Let me know how long that lasts. Although I think you said you have a reference blade from your mentor, so at least you kind of know what is possible.

I'm always trying to get my edges juuuuuust a little better. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Always a learning experience, though, and overall, they are improving. Sometimes the stars align and you hit one out of the park without quite knowing why.
If it were up to me, it'd last another minute or two. My mentor is watching with a fly swatter. I don't dare.

Seriously though, the last I took blade to stone, my routine was to get a generous, but not thick slurry, and go through each progression, Botan, Tenjyou, Mejhiro, Koma, the Tomo--each time wating for the feedback to lessen dratically, then dilute until there's nearly no slurry visible. This for each stage. So far it works a charm. I'll get with "the man" and see if he has any suggestions on what I could perhaps change. If and when I do, it will be one thing only, and the change will be slight.

The world's my oyster.

I have found that once you have learned to consistently get a good edge by whatever method you're comfortable with, you have two options.

The first option is to be happy with what you have and keep doing it that way. Nothing wrong with that if you still get the results you like

The second option is to change looking for a better, more convenient or just a different way. You do this with the knowledge that if it doesn't work you can always go back to what you know works for you.

Neither option is right or wrong. The important thing in my view is to firstly find that option that works.

Of course the first priority is to find something that works, I agree. But I enjoy both SR shaving and honing so much that most of my decisions about it now are driven by asking myself: what would be the most fun?

Honing using The Method is reliable, easy to learn, and produces an exceptional, very keen edge. Every time, if your prep work is adequate.

Honing with synthetic finishers is reasonably easy to learn, more enjoyable to carry out, and the variation among finishers makes for a whole new kind of fun.

Honing with naturals is an endless wonderland of variation and fun. You can expand the fun horizontally, by having different natural finishers, or vertically, by working with finishers that have endless variation, depending on slurry management. I chose...both. Some of my JNats I feel I won't really know thoroughly until I've spent 10 years with them.

Honing and shaving are like golf. Most people can play a good shot every once in a while, but with so many variables, it's the consistency of good results that separate the amateur from the professional.

Keeping that in mind, I admire your goal of shunning constant improvement in favour of consistent results. I think that mindset will inevitably lead to improvement. It lays a very good foundation for further experimentation.

Being a fully fledged member of the pasted balsa brigade, I often wonder how good my honing skills really are. I think pasted balsa lets you get away with imperfect honing, even though the end result is consistently much better than I would ever achieve with stones only.

BTW my golf is rubbish, I am a fair-weather golfer in Scotland so I don't golf at all in winter and even in summer, the weather often curtails my plans for a game. Shaving I do daily, so I would probably award myself a 10 handicap for shaving, trending towards a single digit, if there was such a thing. :c9:

Astute observation I think, and one which very much chimes with my own experiences. I've noticed a continued, and continuing, improvement in the consistency with which I can get completely top edges.

(I probably made life hard for myself by throwing a million stone-based variables into the mix. But that's the part I find interesting and enjoyable, so was kinda intentional!)

Top Bottom