What's new

And all this time, I thought they were Personnas.

In case you haven't noticed, Personna, Schick and Gillette are just names owned by mammoth international conglomerates.

For all realistic intents and purposes, Personna doesn't exist anymore. I'm not sure when Gillette vanished in a puff of semantics when Proctor & Gamble took over, but I recall that King Gillette lost control of the company around 100 years ago. (Anyone recall the year?)

It's just a name. Do you really think these conglomerates care about quality beyond the point it affects their profits?

Try contacting customer service. They only pretend to care about the customer to the extent of boilerplate emoting by call center drones who don't know anything about the company's products. It's the same with all of them, P&G, Unilever, Amazon.

They do not care about you. Why should you care about them?

Personna, Dorco, Voshkod, Astra, Gillette, it's all one big race to the bottom while fattening the bottom line.

I generally buy blades from smaller manufacturers, and they are significantly better and cheaper than Gillette or Personna blades.

As to the: "And all this time, I thought they were Personnas," perhaps you folks should try evaluating blades without knowing what is in your razor, rather then being prejudiced by the brand or price. Dorcos aren't the best blades, but most blades are worse.

If you are buying them at a dollar store and you can get a decent shave from them, what's there to complain about? I can't even buy DE blades in a store around here.

I wonder why these “store brands” persist. I usually don’t buy the store brand or generic item. I’m a victim marketing I guess.

The store brand is not really a generic blade. If the package states the blades are made in Vietnam, they are Dorcos. If the package states the blades are made in Israel or Germany, they are Personnas. If you are intersted in generic blades, then get the Assured DE razor + 5 blades from the Dollar Tree! Those are generic Chinese made blades.

The store brand is not really a generic blade. If the package states the blades are made in Vietnam, they are Dorcos. If the package states the blades are made in Israel or Germany, they are Personnas. If you are intersted in generic blades, then get the Assured DE razor + 5 blades from the Dollar Tree! Those are generic Chinese made blades.

Agreed. Actually I found the Assured blades were really good. The razor, on the other hand, was junk. The doors fell off.

In case you haven't noticed, Personna, Schick and Gillette are just names owned by mammoth international conglomerates.

For all realistic intents and purposes, Personna doesn't exist anymore. I'm not sure when Gillette vanished in a puff of semantics when Proctor & Gamble took over, but I recall that King Gillette lost control of the company around 100 years ago. (Anyone recall the year?)

It's just a name. Do you really think these conglomerates care about quality beyond the point it affects their profits?

Try contacting customer service. They only pretend to care about the customer to the extent of boilerplate emoting by call center drones who don't know anything about the company's products. It's the same with all of them, P&G, Unilever, Amazon.

They do not care about you. Why should you care about them?

Personna, Dorco, Voshkod, Astra, Gillette, it's all one big race to the bottom while fattening the bottom line.

I generally buy blades from smaller manufacturers, and they are significantly better and cheaper than Gillette or Personna blades.

As to the: "And all this time, I thought they were Personnas," perhaps you folks should try evaluating blades without knowing what is in your razor, rather then being prejudiced by the brand or price. Dorcos aren't the best blades, but most blades are worse.

If you are buying them at a dollar store and you can get a decent shave from them, what's there to complain about? I can't even buy DE blades in a store around here.
What smaller manufacturers do you prefer? I like Wilkinson sword classic and my Personna lab Blue are good, but I know they are both Gillette, a company I try not to do business with if possible. I use a feather with my milder razors. Outside of feather, what blade companies are still independent?

What smaller manufacturers do you prefer? I like Wilkinson sword classic and my Personna lab Blue are good, but I know they are both Gillette, a company I try not to do business with if possible. I use a feather with my milder razors. Outside of feather, what blade companies are still independent?

Derby, Kai, Personna, Wilkinson Sword, and the Mostochlegmandash brands like Voshkod, Rapira and Ladas come to mind. I'm guessing that many blades that are made in Egypt and Pakistan are probably domestically owned. I'd like to avoid Gillette as much as possible, but the PPI factory blades are just too damn good. :(

Last edited:
The new CVS Goodline brand is made in Germany, so likely still Personna.
I was in CVS today and saw their German made blades. I also looked at the King C. Gillette blades and saw they were made in Russia. Any idea who makes them? Voskhod, Rapira, other?

Any idea in this august group who manufactures the Bevel razor blades? I got a kit years ago and have just started using the blades and they are very good (IMO) but have no markings on the package or the blade itself.

I was in CVS today and saw their German made blades. I also looked at the King C. Gillette blades and saw they were made in Russia. Any idea who makes them? Voskhod, Rapira, other?

Voskhod & Rapira are made in Moscow.

Gillette (P&G) is part owner of the St. Petersburg plant which makes Astra, most 7 O'Clock, Nacet, GSB, etc. So probably KCG as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like the USA manufactured Personnas.

…”for Hosptial use” written on the top of the blade. I’ve been through a lot of blades And I like them a lot.

Top Bottom