What's new

Anchovies???

I’m the only person in my whole world that likes anchovies! On my pizza. With cheese on a cracker. In my pasta. There’s a local Italian restaurant here that has an anchovy garlic pasta that I always order. It’s basically Aglio e Olio with anchovies in it. Delicious!

I always melt at least one filet in the base of any marinara sauce I make. Much more if I’m making puttanesca.

I haven’t yet but I’d love to try fresh anchovies. Anyone else appreciate anchovies?

66197B79-E42C-4307-9918-BAA1E5CF9F4F.jpeg

Yes Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in the mix so you must put that in the refrigerator. I think it’s the most important ingredient in the sauce.
I don't think the presence of anchovies means it needs refrigeration. The anchovies are fermented. Might last a bit longer but certainly not necessary. Nobody I know refrigerates fish sauce which is ...fish...(I was in the restaurant biz in SE Asia for ten years).

Love anchovies. And put (Vietnamese) fish sauce in everything.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

I don't think the presence of anchovies means it needs refrigeration. The anchovies are fermented. Might last a bit longer but certainly not necessary. Nobody I know refrigerates fish sauce which is ...fish...(I was in the restaurant biz in SE Asia for ten years).

This is an excellent point. Do I really need to refrigerate my anchovy filets? I always have. But the oil it’s stored in will always congeal. So when I’m cooking I have to dunk the bottle in some warm water to loosen it up and then grab the anchovies.

The reason I refrigerate is that sometimes it gets pretty hot here. And honestly, since they’re fermented, how can you really tell if an anchovy has gone bad??

I don’t refrigerate my Worcestershire sauce.

1E66A81E-7E30-49CF-889B-E7AD90C42D0C.jpeg

This is an excellent point. Do I really need to refrigerate my anchovy filets? I always have. But the oil it’s stored in will always congeal. So when I’m cooking I have to dunk the bottle in some warm water to loosen it up and then grab the anchovies.

The reason I refrigerate is that sometimes it gets pretty hot here. And honestly, since they’re fermented, how can you really tell if an anchovy has gone bad??

I don’t refrigerate my Worcestershire sauce.

View attachment 1282755
Well it gets pretty hot in SE Asia I'll tell you what. Fermented fish products will change less their taste less (over a couple years) if refrigerated but it's definetely not a health issue of any significance. Caps should be secure of course. Unfermented fish is obviously another story.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Back in the day, I made a killer pasta sauce that included green olives stuffed with anchovy paste.

I used to be able to get a tin at the local supermarket ... but no more.

Alas.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love anchovies! I like all the applications mentioned, and I often put a dab of anchovy paste in a vinaigrette.

Nothing like a plate of luscious, tangy boquerones and a glass of dry red wine.

LOVE ANCHOVIES!
Sadly, out of consideration for others I do limit my ordering of them on pizza.

I like them in many foods.

If I am at a restaurant that has a Caesar salad on the menu I always ask if it has anchovies on it. If they say no I give them that look and order something else.

My favorite anchovy dish is a dip/spread my aunt makes called bunya calda. Garlic, anchovies, and oil all heated up together. Take a spoonful and pour it over a piece of bread with a lettuce leaf on it and enjoy! Oh man is it good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite anchovy dish is a dip/spread my aunt makes called bunya calda. Garlic, anchovies, and oil all heated up together. Take a spoonful and pour it over a piece of bread with a lettuce leaf on it and enjoy! Oh man is it good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

This sounds so amazing I had to look it up!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They are really good for you too! I like sardines in mustard sauce. I don‘t recall eating Anchovies. But if I like sardines I’m sure I’ll like anchovies.

I am a big fan of anchovies. When I was a youngster my late aunt used to put some pimento cheese on a Ritz cracker and place an anchovy on it. That started my love of anchovies. In fact, just a few nights ago I had pizza with anchovies on it. Another dish I like is pasta with a sauce of olive oil, garlic, and anchovies.

Top Bottom