What's new

Anchovies???

Some diktats to remember:

Cheap anchovies are the falsest of economies. You should always buy the most expensive available to you at the time. Even if that means you can't afford the rest of the shopping. Buy Spanish anchovies, specifically from Cantabria. Good quality anchovies in oil are acceptable - Ortiz is a widely available brand whose regular line is not too expensive (our definitions of an 'expensive' anchovy may differ). The largest and best quality will be packed in salt though. Do not be tempted by boquerones - these are trash fish, soaked in vinegar. Eat on bread with butter, and thinly sliced shallots. This is the only situation in all gastronomy where doux/unsalted butter is permissible, it must however be fridge cold. Ditto the Manzanilla.

Screenshot 2021-09-21 165645.jpg

---

And as noted by others; Worcestershire Sauce otoh does not need to be kept in the fridge. If you want to then by all means... knock yourself out. But you will gain nothing, apart from having colder Worcestershire Sauce.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’m the only person in my whole world that likes anchovies! On my pizza. With cheese on a cracker. In my pasta. There’s a local Italian restaurant here that has an anchovy garlic pasta that I always order. It’s basically Aglio e Olio with anchovies in it. Delicious!

I always melt at least one filet in the base of any marinara sauce I make. Much more if I’m making puttanesca.

I haven’t yet but I’d love to try fresh anchovies. Anyone else appreciate anchovies?

View attachment 1282742

No man I love anchovies on pizza. Sadly places don’t offer it anymore around my parts. For cooking I have fallen in love with Thai Fish Sauce, which is basically anchovy juice. I add a shot of it in lieu of salt for a lot of stuff. It stinks to high heaven when it flashes in a hot pan, but the flavor that remains is subtle and delicious.

Top Bottom