What's new

Anchovies???

Nobody I know refrigerates fish sauce which is ...fish...(I was in the restaurant biz in SE Asia for ten years).

Love anchovies. And put (Vietnamese) fish sauce in everything.

I dropped and shattered a 3/4 full bottle of fish sauce in the kitchen last week. The horror… the horror. It still kinda smells like feet near there.

I dropped and shattered a 3/4 full bottle of fish sauce in the kitchen last week. The horror… the horror. It still kinda smells like feet near there.
My first wife was Vietnamese and the house smelled perpetually of fish sauce. I grew to find it comforting :) . Now when I dropped a tiny piece of durian on the porch and it smelled for months that was a different thing.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I forgot to mention a pizza I enjoy very much at a place nearby. A little red sauce, anchovies, and capers. Delicious.

Get some excellent bread and butter and your set for life!

541BB0AA-E3ED-4ECC-9788-334DF302692F.jpeg

We use to make pizza at home a lot when the kids were little. I would brush the pizza dough with olive oil, add anchovies red onion and marinated artichoke hearts. Then the cheese .that was always one of the adults pizzas. My 9 year old gets strange looks if he orders anchovies for his personal pizza when we are out to eat. 😄

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My favorite anchovy dish is a dip/spread my aunt makes called bunya calda. Garlic, anchovies, and oil all heated up together. Take a spoonful and pour it over a piece of bread with a lettuce leaf on it and enjoy! Oh man is it good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard of bagna cauda years ago on the Sci-fi show Babylon 5. Curiously enough, the only Youtube clip with all the talk of it is ... dubbed in Italian.

Huge fan of anchovies!!! :em3400: I love them on pizza and in the olive oil-based 'sauces' where you mash them up and sautee them with fresh sliced garlic before throwing in some pasta. Top this with a mix of shredded Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano Reggiano, and Asiago cheese and you are several steps closer to heaven.

Tim

I love anchovies, though I think most of the people who do NOT like it are that way because of the thought of salted fish. Thought you gents would enjoy this video:

Oh Boy. I love Worcestershire sauce and I love anchovies. But that giant vat of fermenting anchovies…uff. I wonder if you have to **** off the boss to be assigned shoveling anchovies for that shift.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I read an article last week about anchovies (yes, I was interested in an article about anchovies) and the author said that the biggest reason that many Americans don't like anchovies is that what they have tried are salty, scratchy dried-up bottom of the barrel anchovies. Kind of like trying out sushi by eating a can of tuna.
She said people who don't care for anchovies need to do themselves a favor and buy good quality anchovies that were salted and pressed when fresh before aging, filleting and jarring.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I heard of bagna cauda years ago on the Sci-fi show Babylon 5. Curiously enough, the only Youtube clip with all the talk of it is ... dubbed in Italian.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread, too.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chango:

sardines-1-png.797571
I love anchovies on pizza, in pasta, on crackers, in Caesar Salad, on eggs (scrambled or over-hard on grilled toast w/ a anchovy fillet on top and fresh parsley), on toasted Jewish Rye Bread w/ mayo, capers & minced onions: the ideas are endless.
proxy.php

Primo...simplicity is the best...'Salute'!

BTW, our local fishmonger (in Lake Charles), was able to get fresh sardines, but there was a low demand for them (like night & day over canned...I can order fresh frozen sardines & anchovies on-line). 😥

1624548966075.png
"I'd rather be someone's tin of anchovies than everyone's can of fish". Anchovy Saying

Chango:

sardines-1-png.797571
I love anchovies on pizza, in pasta, on crackers, in Caesar Salad, on eggs (scrambled or over-hard on grilled toast w/ a anchovy fillet on top and fresh parsley), on toasted Jewish Rye Bread w/ mayo, capers & minced onions: the ideas are endless.
proxy.php

Primo...simplicity is the best...'Salute'!

BTW, our local fishmonger (in Lake Charles), was able to get fresh sardines, but there was a low demand for them (like night & day over canned...I can order fresh frozen sardines & anchovies on-line). 😥

That rye bread idea sounds delicious! I’m going to try that soon. I remember a couple good threads here about sardines. I love sardines too. Not so easy to get them fresh here. We have Marquesan sardine schools but I only know of people using them as bait fish and not to eat because of potential ciguatera. So I just eat them out of the can. Like on hot rice with sriracha mayo:

9C9E5C0F-3E43-4E39-A766-46F771C16DD2.jpeg

Top Bottom