What's new

Anchorset Restoration

I picked this Anchorset brush up at a flea market for a couple of dollars, ripped out the old boar bristles, polished it up, and added a 24mm Maggard synthetic knot. I think it came out pretty well and I'm looking forward to giving it a try this morning. (There is a little excess epoxy that squeezed up into the knot, but it shouldn't create any problems.)
Specs: Handle - 72mm, Loft - approx. 55mm

Anchorset Brush.jpg

I love these vintage handles. This motivates me to start working on some of the old ones I have stashed away!
The time-consuming part is cutting out the old bristles. I took this one nice and slow, just picking it up every now and then, carving out a little more with a pocket knife or a narrow (1/4") chisel while watching TV or listening to music. After that, the rest was easy.

What I forgot to mention was that there was an old, rusty metal band around the base of the knot. Once I got the bristles out, I used a Dremel tool with a small carbide bit to carefully grind through the band. Once I split it, it pulled out easily and I could finish cleaning out the cavity.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've used a forstner bit in a drill press for some of the old nylon bristle brushes, but you have to be really careful to line things up and make sure you check often on depth.
Some of the glue or epoxy they used back in the day rivals anything I've ever seen for toughness!
I've used a triangular hand file on metal bands, I don't trust myself to freehand with a Dremel! :lol1:

I've used a forstner bit in a drill press for some of the old nylon bristle brushes, but you have to be really careful to line things up and make sure you check often on depth.
Some of the glue or epoxy they used back in the day rivals anything I've ever seen for toughness!
I've used a triangular hand file on metal bands, I don't trust myself to freehand with a Dremel! :lol1:
I hate those Nylon bristles. If you drill or grind too fast, they heat up and melt, and then you've got a real mess on your hands!

I guess I've been lucky so far with the Dremel. I've slipped a couple of times, but I always wrap the handle with several layers of painter's tape, and that has prevented any damage. If I'm holding the brush in my hand while working, I always wear a heavy horsehide glove. That Dremel can initiate a quick trip to the emergency department if it slips! :crying:

Great job, it looks fantastic. What did you use to polish it up?
I always use the Novus 3-Part Plastic Polish kit. Unless there are really deep scratches, I rarely use the #3 (Heavy Scratch Remover). This one was in pretty good shape to start with, so just the #2 (Fine) and the #1 (Clean & Shine) were all that was needed.

The paint was totally gone from the engraving, so I filled it with a little gold paint from a paint marker, wiped off the excess, and gave it a final polish. I don't know what the original color was, but I thought the gold worked well with the dark green.

Well done and very nice color choice for the engraved letters.

Did I read that you could steam out the knots? I've redone several brush handles always using a Dremel wearing gloves and taping the handles as you have done.

Well done and very nice color choice for the engraved letters.

Did I read that you could steam out the knots? I've redone several brush handles always using a Dremel wearing gloves and taping the handles as you have done.
I vaguely recall some conversation about steaming out knots, but I think it might have been about modern brushes? Not sure, but I wouldn't do it, particularly on nice vintage handles. It seems too risky to apply that much heat and steam to an already fragile material.

Top Bottom