What's new

Ancestral DNA testing

Ancestry.com is NOT owned by the Mormon Church. It is is based in Provo, UT. The founders were Mormons but the Company is not affiliated with that church. In fact, in 2009 it became a company listed on the NASDAQ. As such, it files reports with the SEC. The name of the company is ANCESTRY.COM LLC.

Familysearch.org is owned by the Mormon Church.

My wife and I gave each other Ancestry DNA for our last anniversary. It regularly goes on sale for $79--which is what we paid.

There weren't any big surprises in my DNA. However, my wife was able to disprove some of her family legends about famous historical people they thought they were related to. It's fun and interesting, but I'm glad we bought it on sale.

Mark me as one who is more than a bit sceptical of this sort of service. I had always sort of wondered if there were underlying reasons for all these DNA test offerings. It would seem there is. Sure, you can find the details if you look, but should you really have to?

The main issue I have with these tests is that it seems everyone and their dog knows just about anything they want about you now. What if they bollocks the test and wind up telling someone a person is a relative(or not)? Even the authorities have come under a lot of fire, and I think in some cases legal troubles, for taking a carte blanche approach to DNA collection of just about anyone who comes into their custody. Mind, I am not speaking of convicted criminals but people who were arrested and held and then released. Many departments take the tack that you sort of belong to them whilst you are in their custody and they are within rights to collect and keep anything identity related they want from you. I am not completely sure what the resolution to this sort of policy has been but it makes more than a few people uncomfortable.

I should also say I think the idea of genetic data about your lineage is a neat idea. It would be nice to know exactly who is doing the testing and with whom they are sharing it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My sister paid the $100 to take the test so I don't have to :)

I did consider having the test to see if the results match within their advertised margin of error.

through that i found out my family is a third Irish, with Scandinavian in there. my father was able to trace direct ties to 1194, and found our family settled in new england in the early 1600s.

Top Bottom