What's new

Anbbas brush question

Hello!

I’m relatively new here and sadly lacking in both skill-set and product knowledge. Upon inheriting some DE razors, I took up wet shaving. My lovely bride purchased an Anbbas “pure badger hair” brush from Amazon as a gift. It was not expensive. It says it’s pure badger. I tried it. It lathers OK (I guess, since I don’t have much to compare it to given my ignorance), but it pokes the hell out of me when splayed applying the lather, not so much if I’m painting it on. My inherited brushes are older than I am and of questionable “hair”, but are extraordinarily soft, yet stiff, when lathering.

All suggestions and assistance are much appreciated!

Curly
B6F3A033-A71B-45B8-BBA7-875554068929.jpeg

It depends :001_rolle

The Eagle is scrubby and a joy to use. The Special is a dense little spud with a bit of scritch and can give you some brush burn if used enthusiastically. The Captain is softer with less backbone but not by much. Caveat, it is my only Simpsons Best and this grade has the highest variance in the lineup. So people tell that they have specimens close to Super while I believe mine is closer to Pure.

First, there is no official grading for badger brushes. Each manufacturer uses their own system.

Second, IMO the goal is to figure out what you enjoy, not what is the most expensive or exclusive.

That said, ‘pure’ is usually the most ’prickly’ and for me the least enjoyable. I much prefer grades labeled ‘best,’ ‘silvertip,’ ‘super,’ ‘two-band,’ etc.

First, there is no official grading for badger brushes. Each manufacturer uses their own system.

Second, IMO the goal is to figure out what you enjoy, not what is the most expensive or exclusive.

That said, ‘pure’ is usually the most ’prickly’ and for me the least enjoyable. I much prefer grades labeled ‘best,’ ‘silvertip,’ ‘super,’ ‘two-band,’ etc.
Thank you very much, BigJ! It is certainly a bit prickly, which I now understand y’all call “scritch”. Mostly I don’t want to hurt my wife’s feelings by never using it. Any chance it will soften over time?

Thanks again!

Curly

It looks like Pure grade, an acquired taste for those loving scrub (rough surface) and scritch (some poking of single bristles). I believe Anbbas has a similar priced Synth that is just soft.

I do like my Pures but not every day ;)

View attachment 1420915

View attachment 1420916
Thank you Multum in parvo! I’m now getting a better understanding of brushes. I’m hoping it will “break in?” as I wouldn’t want to hurt my wife’s feelings by not using it.

You certainly have some lovely brushes there!!!

Thank you Multum in parvo! I’m now getting a better understanding of brushes. I’m hoping it will “break in?” as I wouldn’t want to hurt my wife’s feelings by not using it.

You certainly have some lovely brushes there!!!
Thank you 😊
It might get a bit softer with usage but it could also be that your skin gets used to it…
Easiest would be to build the lather in a bowl and just paint it on.

If your inherited brushes are somewhat comparable to the razors then they should be absolutely lovely. Can you post a pic of them?

I don’t think the brushes are the same quality as some of the razors, but here they are: (L to R) a Dubl Duck, Stanhomb (Badger and Bristle?), Erskine 503?, with the remaining two unmarked. My favorite is the unmarked on the far right.
D8B272C1-98A7-4F96-9566-FAF658BE2C98.jpeg
3A3949FD-AAEF-4FAD-8FA1-4F7021087A1F.jpeg

Thank you 😊
It might get a bit softer with usage but it could also be that your skin gets used to it…
Easiest would be to build the lather in a bowl and just paint it on.

If your inherited brushes are somewhat comparable to the razors then they should be absolutely lovely. Can you post a pic of them?
Thanks Multum in parvo! I’m truly enjoying all the education I’m getting, and the better shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
All suggestions and assistance are much appreciated!
The only thing I can think of is to soak it in cup with warm water for 5 minutes before use to make it more pliable.(it might not be as prickly)
I have mostly Yaqi 2 band badgers and some Yaqi silver tips and they have soft tips with the 2band having just the right amount of back bone & soft tips. The silver tip badgers are soft high density and are like a soft pillow effect on the face and are excellent painters.
If a badger brush has 3 bands it is generally a silvertip but it also depends on the density that will determine the scrub and painting effect on the face. I would stay with 24mm knots unless head shaving you might want a larger knot.

The only thing I can think of is to soak it in cup with warm water for 5 minutes before use to make it more pliable.(it might not be as prickly)
I have mostly Yaqi 2 band badgers and some Yaqi silver tips and they have soft tips with the 2band having just the right amount of back bone & soft tips. The silver tip badgers are soft high density and are like a soft pillow effect on the face and are excellent painters.
If a badger brush has 3 bands it is generally a silvertip but it also depends on the density that will determine the scrub and painting effect on the face. I would stay with 24mm knots unless head shaving you might want a larger knot.
Thanks Ron! I appreciate the tip and the information. It’s all still relatively new to me but I’m enjoying the journey.

Happy Shaves!

Curly

I don’t think the brushes are the same quality as some of the razors, but here they are: (L to R) a Dubl Duck, Stanhomb (Badger and Bristle?), Erskine 503?, with the remaining two unmarked. My favorite is the unmarked on the far right.View attachment 1421236View attachment 1421237
Those look all like Boar brushes and boar will definitely break in and get softer. I would say the Dubl Duck should be retired or reknotted but the others look fine.

I would also suggest to get a medium sized (24mm) Synthetic to see how you like it and have a quick drying travel brush. Lots of good choices in the 15.00 range (Yaqi, Razorock, Stirling, PAA, Maggards, Anbbas etc.)

For badger the entry level Yaqi 2Bands (20.00-25.00 without discounts) are well liked here but it can be anything according to your budget. Starting out with Pure is showing you only a tiny bit of the badger world.

Those look all like Boar brushes and boar will definitely break in and get softer. I would say the Dubl Duck should be retired or reknotted but the others look fine.

I would also suggest to get a medium sized (24mm) Synthetic to see how you like it and have a quick drying travel brush. Lots of good choices in the 15.00 range (Yaqi, Razorock, Stirling, PAA, Maggards, Anbbas etc.)

For badger the entry level Yaqi 2Bands (20.00-25.00 without discounts) are well liked here but it can be anything according to your budget. Starting out with Pure is showing you only a tiny bit of the badger world.
Thank you! They are old. They were my fathers.

I’m still learning and have purchased a new brush or two. And I’m not going to imply anyone here led me down the rabbit hole, but y’all certainly showed me where it was.

Here’s tonight’s shave. Blackland Blackbird, Astra Green blade, with a Muhle Silvertip brush and TOBS Sandalwood shave cream. Great, smooth shave and I smell good which will impress my lovely bride.

Thanks again!

Curly
1C06F244-576B-4531-AF10-41EDE3787692.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom