What's new

An update on Prince Albert, et al.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I heard again from a source this morning that Middleton has halted production of both Prince Albert and Carter Hall ... which was previously noted here not that long ago. Likely forever.

That was the ‘bad’ news.

But now, the good news. And very good news indeed. That same source indicated that Middleton is in the process of selling both brands ... and that production won’t resume until the sale is completed. And that implies that production should resume.

This source hints that the lead suitor may be STG.

And if it’s STG, then codger lovers can rejoice. They have done an excellent job with SWR, H&H and some other codger legends, actually improving them, IMO, over prior recent owners who let quality slip towards the end. Alternatively, if it is Lane, that is also a positive outcome.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Lane now owned by STG? Either way, that would be a natural fit, and I wouldn't be worried at all about the quality.

I’m not sure. I do know that STG produces several of Lane’s former lines, including LLRR.

Middleton is obviously exiting the tobacco business for God-knows-what. So getting these iconic brands away from them is good news either way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I heard again from a source this morning that Middleton has halted production of both Prince Albert and Carter Hall ... which was previously noted here not that long ago. Likely forever.

That was the ‘bad’ news.

But now, the good news. And very good news indeed. That same source indicated that Middleton is in the process of selling both brands ... and that production won’t resume until the sale is completed. And that implies that production should resume.

This source hints that the lead suitor may be STG.

And if it’s STG, then codger lovers can rejoice. They have done an excellent job with SWR, H&H and some other codger legends, actually improving them, IMO, over prior recent owners who let quality slip towards the end. Alternatively, if it is Lane, that is also a positive outcome.
That is excellent news. Pinkerton really made a mess out of H&H. I’ll likely stick with Match PA because I can’t really tell the difference and it is cheaper than the tub but prefer the original CH over the match. Sutliff Match Walnut was an improvement over Middleton. They somehow took the bite out while keeping the flavor.

This is good news

I hear that Middleton is more focused on selling their black and mild cigars than PA or CH.

I'm hoping it's going to be STG that buys them.

When PA is back into production. I'll be stockpiling it some more.

I've been pretty much smoking it everyday now.

I picked up some PA last fall, after having not smoked it in almost 15 years and... I know this is going to be sacrilegious... but I was not impressed. It tasted far more heavily cased than I remembered it being, while being slightly dryer. The condition of the leaf was an improvement, but the taste was too much for me. Maybe it’s just me.
I used to really like PA. It came in a cool little pouch and the odor of it was heavenly, whether straight out of the pouch or smoking in a pipe or rolled up.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I picked up some PA last fall, after having not smoked it in almost 15 years and... I know this is going to be sacrilegious... but I was not impressed. It tasted far more heavily cased than I remembered it being, while being slightly dryer. The condition of the leaf was an improvement, but the taste was too much for me. Maybe it’s just me.
I used to really like PA. It came in a cool little pouch and the odor of it was heavenly, whether straight out of the pouch or smoking in a pipe or rolled up.
Tastes change. I find the tub or Sutliff Match PA better than the pouch.

Tastes change. I find the tub or Sutliff Match PA better than the pouch.
I’ve tried the Match PA. I thought it wasn’t horrible, but it had a chocolatey taste to it and a slight harshness that I didn’t remember PA having.

I have tried a couple of the other Match knockoffs and I liked the Walnut, after it was dried out a little, but I’ve held off on others due to the fact that they tend to get a little heavy-handed with the Latakia. I get that some people love it, but I prefer it to be sort of a background note to being the only thing you can taste. Let’s just say I’m a little sensitive and my palate is not seeming to like the über smoky tobaccos.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’ve tried the Match PA. I thought it wasn’t horrible, but it had a chocolatey taste to it and a slight harshness that I didn’t remember PA having.

I have tried a couple of the other Match knockoffs and I liked the Walnut, after it was dried out a little, but I’ve held off on others due to the fact that they tend to get a little heavy-handed with the Latakia. I get that some people love it, but I prefer it to be sort of a background note to being the only thing you can taste. Let’s just say I’m a little sensitive and my palate is not seeming to like the über smoky tobaccos.

It is hard for a match blend to nail the original. The original blend recipes are trade secrets, and a matching blender is often left to guess.

It may be different from the original, but a match may also be a very smokable and very enjoyable blend in its own right. What winds up happening is the inevitable comparisons between the original and match. Perhaps that's not fair to the match blender. I don't chase matches, but will just move on to another original. Others love matches, and that's a great thing.

As far as PA changes, I've not been smoking pouches of it for many years now. As pipe tobacco at the OTC level has waned in popularity, those pouches do not move as fast as yeas ago. Some may sit in very poor storage conditions for a very long time. The PA pouches have been a little more durable and better sealed than SWR in recent years, but that's little consolation. For PA, I've had much better consistency and results with the tubs of it. We'll see how any new owners treat the blend, hopefully soon.

But if you don't care for it anymore, there's nothing wrong with that. Not everything is a universal hit with everyone, always or forever.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It is hard for a match blend to nail the original. The original blend recipes are trade secrets, and a matching blender is often left to guess.

It may be different from the original, but a match may also be a very smokable and very enjoyable blend in its own right. What winds up happening is the inevitable comparisons between the original and match. Perhaps that's not fair to the match blender. I don't chase matches, but will just move on to another original. Others love matches, and that's a great thing.

As far as PA changes, I've not been smoking pouches of it for many years now. As pipe tobacco at the OTC level has waned in popularity, those pouches do not move as fast as yeas ago. Some may sit in very poor storage conditions for a very long time. The PA pouches have been a little more durable and better sealed than SWR in recent years, but that's little consolation. For PA, I've had much better consistency and results with the tubs of it. We'll see how any new owners treat the blend, hopefully soon.

But if you don't care for it anymore, there's nothing wrong with that. Not everything is a universal hit with everyone, always or forever.
When you make an order pick up an ounce of PA Match. I would be very interested in your comparison to the original. I don’t detect much, if any, difference as I did in CH Match. You are deep enough into PA to be consider the village expert on this blend. In fact, you inspired me to start smoking PA again and I seem to be in PA deep dive now.
Thanks,

Steve

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
When you make an order pick up an ounce of PA Match. I would be very interested in your comparison to the original. I don’t detect much, if any, difference as I did in CH Match. You are deep enough into PA to be consider the village expert on this blend. In fact, you inspired me to start smoking PA again and I seem to be in PA deep dive now.
Thanks,

Steve

I just placed a small order with SP under their IPSD sale. So it will have to wait for the next order (whenever that is). If it’s the Sutliff match, SP is presently out of it anyway.

On the Sutliff match, if it’s like their others, and looking at what’s in it ... I am only guessing ... the Sutliff match is going to be slightly more syrupy, slightly sweeter, and probably slightly richer tasting than the original. I have no doubts that the Sutliff match is a fine-tasting tobacco.

Sutliff likes to use Cavendish. Despite what the tobaccoreview people say, I don’t think there is significant Cavindish in PA.

For match fans, FWIW, Milan is also formulating a PA match blend, which may be a notch more upscale than the others. Milan has developed match blends for many of the discontinued Middleton brands. WV also has a fairly long match line card, at good prices.

I just placed a small order with SP under their IPSD sale. So it will have to wait for the next order (whenever that is). If it’s the Sutliff match, SP is presently out of it anyway.

On the Sutliff match, if it’s like their others, and looking at what’s in it ... I am only guessing ... the Sutliff match is going to be slightly more syrupy, slightly sweeter, and probably slightly richer tasting than the original. I have no doubts that the Sutliff match is a fine-tasting tobacco.

Sutliff likes to use Cavendish. Despite what the tobaccoreview people say, I don’t think there is significant Cavindish in PA.

For match fans, FWIW, Milan is also formulating a PA match blend, which may be a notch more upscale than the others. Milan has developed match blends for many of the discontinued Middleton brands. WV also has a fairly long match line card, at good prices.

This is what my friend said that Sutliff version is more like to him.

He said he prefers the Middleton Prince Albert.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I have a couple of pouches of PA and have smoked PA and Match PA back to back and found no discernible difference but the tub PA may be different. My tastes aren’t as refined as most from what I can tell. When PA is reintroduced, I’ll likely buy a tub just because it is what it is though. I’ve been smoking the Match all day and enjoying every puff. I seem to have fallen into a PA hole lately.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I have a couple of pouches of PA and have smoked PA and Match PA back to back and found no discernible difference but the tub PA may be different. My tastes aren’t as refined as most from what I can tell. When PA is reintroduced, I’ll likely buy a tub just because it is what it is though. I’ve been smoking the Match all day and enjoying every puff. I seem to have fallen into a PA hole lately.

I can think of worse places to fall into.

If it brings you relaxation and pleasure, that's all that matters.

Done. Two ounces ordered. I’ll let you know in about a week.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts Columbo.

I'd probably would have tried it myself if it weren't for the shipping restrictions.

In some ways I got a feeling that I would possibly like it more if the chocolate flavors are more pronounced than PA. That is what I like so much about the blend.

I got this from a different site. It looks like PA and CH have not been discontinued but are now only being sold in tubs, and that there is no explanation at this time for the lack of product on the market.

I am hoping to give PA a try once it becomes available again. CH is starting to grow on me too. I may have to stop by the local shop today and see if he has any left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-131100.png
    Screenshot_20210225-131100.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom