What's new

An unusual RFB cap...

I bought a rather ugly RFB New a month or so back (was going far too cheap to let go), cleaned up enough to check it was usable (it is) and left it at that.

Screenshot_20210824-190610_eBay.jpg

I gave it a better cleanup tonight and spotted something I haven't seen on any Gillette's I've had before... Has anyone else seen these pins before?!

20210905_004017.jpg

20210905_004032.jpg

I'd say those are knock out marks left by the mold.

Not intimately familiar with the process... Could you explain a little more as to why/how this would happen?

The shape is the same on both sides of the cap and perfectly symmetrical as far as I can tell.

R

romsitsa

Molten metal is injected into a multiple piece mold, the mold opens up and little prongs eject the finished part from the mold.
The intendations doesn't go all the way down to the cap, so they have no real function (for eg. blade alignement).

Molten metal is injected into a multiple piece mold, the mold opens up and little prongs eject the finished part from the mold.
The intendations doesn't go all the way down to the cap, so they have no real function (for eg. blade alignement).

Ah I think I see now - so you'd expect to see the same indentations to the same depth of both sides, as this one shows?

I could tell it wouldn't effect alignment or anything like that, I just didn't know why they were like that - certainly sounds plausible that it's a mistake (presumably the metal wasn't quite cool enough when ejected?) or a deliberate thing, though god knows why you'd deliberately decorate a part that's hidden in use...

Thanks, really interesting!

This is very rare indeed, I haven't seen another one like this.

I've never seen it before, either.

If what @romsitsa suggests is correct (it seems plausible and more likely than it being deliberate, to me at least) I can't see any reason that it wouldn't be something that could occur on almost any Gillette's with that style of cap (so 99% of New types, all Tech's, etc)...

I've not seen it before, and I've got probably a couple of dozen razors that have that style of cap - but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen.

Perhaps it's something QC would normally have stopped from leaving the factory or perhaps it just didn't happen very often?

Either way, really interesting to see something I hadn't seen before 🙂

Top Bottom