What's new

An Unexpected BBS

After using a Futur for a couple of months now, this morning I decided to use a Gillette 1940's Superspeed I purchased last year. This was my first shave with one of these.
The outcome....WOW. No prep, just soap lather and a new Derby blade. At first I thought, "What a joke...this thing is so light compared to the Futur". But to my surprise, this was truly a BBS. No nick, no burn...just shaving bliss. That was this morning at 7. Just got back now at 3:30 and my face is still as smooth as a baby's butt.
I still have a Merkur HD in its box...haven't used that one yet either. But I can't imagine getting a better shave than today's with it. But we'll see. That one is up next. When? I don't know since today I found my true love.
Thanks for the read.

If you like the SS, you should also try an old Tech model razor like the one pictured in the review posted here. It will make the SS look like a hefty piece of machinery, but boy howdy is it a nice shaving razor. I have been putting a Feather in mine and it really tames that blade.

Dennis

GeeQue said:
After using a Futur for a couple of months now, this morning I decided to use a Gillette 1940's Superspeed I purchased last year. This was my first shave with one of these.
The outcome....WOW. No prep, just soap lather and a new Derby blade. At first I thought, "What a joke...this thing is so light compared to the Futur". But to my surprise, this was truly a BBS. No nick, no burn...just shaving bliss. That was this morning at 7. Just got back now at 3:30 and my face is still as smooth as a baby's butt.
I still have a Merkur HD in its box...haven't used that one yet either. But I can't imagine getting a better shave than today's with it. But we'll see. That one is up next. When? I don't know since today I found my true love.
Thanks for the read.

Do you have a picture of the Superspeed. there are so many different Superspeeds out there.

Total agreement with original poster. I just started using a 40's Super Speed last week - for the past two months I've been having good results with a 62 Gillette Slim Adjustable.

I started with a Merkur blade (which I really like in the Thin Adjustable), and it was alright. Then I slapped in a Derby.

WOW.

Pure bliss. No nicks. No burn. Just baby smooth shave after baby smooth shave, and it does it with a few less minutes than the adjustable too. Its light weight and thin handle bothered me at first, but now you'd have to pry that SS out of my cold, dead hands.

I ordered 100 Derby blades this weekend.

My understanding is that the Fat Adjustables have basically the same head shape as the 40's SS, but it has a thicker handle. Time will tell if I ever order one...

-Warr

SSLStudio said:
Do you have a picture of the Superspeed. there are so many different Superspeeds out there.

@SSLStudio
proxy.php

I too had my first shave with a Gilette SuperSpeed today. Mine is a '72. As you said, BBS with a great deal of ease! I was using a feather blade, but I'll be trying all different blades in this puppy. A very pleasant shave. :cool:

here's a pic:

View attachment 1766

I've been hearing great things about the Super Speed so I had to get one. I'm going to have my first shave with one this morning.

I think I'm going to start out by using a CVS blade and then move into a Derby a few shaves later to complete my testing.

Thanks for the great reviews here.

Top Bottom