What's new

An unconventional way to get BBS on the neck

I call that technique "bullfrogging". It works well in combination with stretching.

+1 to bullfrogging. Push the chin right down into the throat bulging the neck and then (for me) it's XTG along the jawline and neck area to really clean that area up.

any tips for the chin where a scar is concerned? I have a scar a little over an inch long right below my chin. Often I go super light because that skin doesn't move a whole lot usually it's real stubbly right above and below it.

I believe this is the article you were thinking of.

Thanks for the link. I actually tried the suggestions in the article and based on one shave, the techniques seemed to help me. I currently have a throat area that is just sensitive and looks blotchy after a shave. Definite irritation to some extent. For me, I ended up doing a longer soak with a warmer wash cloth and cold lathering up for at least 2mins. Before I was lathering up but probably with less than 1 minute or so. I also did not stretch my skin this time and shaved with a certain amount of "slack" there. The blotchiness is better. Will see how this plays out longer term.

+1 to bullfrogging. Push the chin right down into the throat bulging the neck and then (for me) it's XTG along the jawline and neck area to really clean that area up.

+1 to bullfrogging for me too, worked well this morning and less irritation than I usually get.
Thanks!

Wow! I must say that this thread by Kodiak really relates. Not on the neck........yet, but more for my mustache. I actually roll the skin up on my mustache area to get a quality ATG shave after WTH, XTG and XTG. Virtually zero burn or irritation.

I'm just a knucklehead with shaving on my neck and don't give it the respect I should. I'll be certain to give it a try tomorrow.

So I tried this today - and I really made an effort to have everything else be business as usual so that I could evaluate the results as best as possible.

No question - this allowed for a considerably more comfortably close ATG pass for me on my neck - a location that I have more or less resigned myself to never going ATG on due to hyper-sensitivity.

I was slow and cautious, as I found this very counter to my normal shaving technique down there. I found it somewhat awkward and more difficult, but this will likely pass with practice. As a result, I am not quite BBS there, but I rarely go for that on neck anymore due to ingrowns and irritation. But no question - very DFS on my neck using this technique.

We'll see how my whiskers push through, but this could very well be somewhat of a revelation for me on my neck area.

Thanks for the heads up!

any tips for the chin where a scar is concerned? I have a scar a little over an inch long right below my chin. Often I go super light because that skin doesn't move a whole lot usually it's real stubbly right above and below it.

I also have what I think is an old scar dead horizontal right under my chin, and I buff rather lightly, as it will catch the blade. No magic solution to offer, just be light, slow and careful, and do mostly XTG

Tried it last night, no redness / bumps this morning, My neck thanks you! And the fine barbers of Morocco of course :)

Bullfrogging, just tried it for the first time this morning and got the best all around shave on my next to date, need to perfect it a bit as it hides a few spots, but will be my meathod of choice on my neck from now on.

I am also not a skin stretcher; I just shave the normal "lay of the land". I use diagonal techniques on my neck and have never had problems

Ok....so I had to shave tonight, for an early start in the am. I remember the OP's notes in his post, so I gave this a try.

Tools-Hot wash cloth on the face before each pass, 39c, Feather and Razorock shave lube only. (I was too tired to lather up....)
I completed my WTG pass, rinsed, hot face cloth...reapplied shave lube, proceeded with ATG shave.

Not a nick, weeper, no mild irritation in the lower neck where I usually receive it, nothing, nada, zippo. I honestly think that this may have topped every shave I have ever had. I managed to tackle the problem spot that I seem to miss under my left jaw. I had 3 days growth, and the ease of the shave was like using a cart. (...don't hurt me.) I finished it off with a little dab of RR's AS wax. And here I sit, typing about it - instead of hopping into bed to sleep. I can't get over it. Bullfrog-ing is awesome.

I am very glad I came across this post.

Been trying this the last few shaves and have gotten some of the most comfortable, irritation-free BBS necks of my entire shaving history!

I can normally achieve a BBS on my neck, but I will almost certainly experience razor burn / weepers / irritation if I stretch my skin out all the way, but not with loosening the skin! So much more comfortable, and surprisingly, just as close, if not closer!

Thanks for the tip!

Very cool tip! I'm going to try this myself, but I've got a friend who absolutely hates against the grain. This may be the ticket! Thanks!

I just tried this and it really worked for me, my neck has never been this smooth. I used a Gillette Aristocrat loaded with a Ladas blade lathered with Wm. Neuman Signature 1907 soap.

I'll be doing this from now on.

Top Bottom