What's new

An ugly picture of a beautiful razor (Gillette 195)

I’ve used this worn, neglected and beaten 1959 Gillette 195 “fatboy” for a few months now, played with the settings and technique, and I have quickly come to love its performance.
I’ve found that a low setting #2 makes it as mild and nick-free as a DE89, but still as BBS-effective as my old Progress was on a higher setting….and I have very heavy and corse stubble!
I’m still impressed with how the fatter head of this razor not only makes it smoother than my Slim was years ago but still inexplicably gets the scraps under my big nose! (This was a problem I had with almost every razor except the thin-headed DE89)
In short, I think my Progress has finally been edged out as my all time favorite! 😁
3E3711A4-2828-4EC5-8229-0C75086C357A.jpeg

I've always been a fan of the 195. A true classic that has earned a spot in my razor rotation. Because I have a thick and coarse beard, I have to use it at setting 5 or above. The highest setting is usually what I prefer and a two pass shave is all that's needed.
Awesome, I can also get away with a two-pass shave with this razor. 😃

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I’ve used this worn, neglected and beaten 1959 Gillette 195 “fatboy” for a few months now, played with the settings and technique, and I have quickly come to love its performance.
I’ve found that a low setting #2 makes it as mild and nick-free as a DE89, but still as BBS-effective as my old Progress was on a higher setting….and I have very heavy and corse stubble!
I’m still impressed with how the fatter head of this razor not only makes it smoother than my Slim was years ago but still inexplicably gets the scraps under my big nose! (This was a problem I had with almost every razor except the thin-headed DE89)
In short, I think my Progress has finally been edged out as my all time favorite! 😁
View attachment 1460055

Very beautiful razor, I love the shine of it, and the nice fat handle, plus its adjustable, so there's that too! I looked thees razors up on Ebay once, cause you can't buy them anymore on Amazon, and people want far too much money for these vintage fat boys. So my advice to you, is to keep it, don't ever let it go.

Top Bottom