What's new

An Open Comb Damaskeene

I offer this as conclusive proof of the adage that sometimes it really is better to be lucky than good.

Last weekend my wife and I took in an outdoor antique fair, mostly just as a way to spend a beautiful early fall day together. She likes to browse the assortment of vintage stuff; I of course am on the lookout for razors and such. But based on previous experience at this event, I had low expectations in that department, until I came across this.

I spied the case, which was closed. peeking inside, I found this Damaskeene. It was pretty grungy, and I could see that there was quite a bit of plating loss on the cap. But the mechanics checked out; blade stops intact and spring in working order. And the honest truth: in the course of this quick evaluation of condition, I failed to even notice that this was an OC. I thought I'd found a garden variety Damaskeene. I inquired as to the price, and the vendor responded with what I thought was a fair price for a user grade Damaskeene, with the case being pretty much a total loss. I won't quote the price, but let's just say it was in the low double digits. I vacillated, thinking I really don't need another Damaskeene. Ah, what the heck, I decided it would be fun to go home with at least something in hand. Deal.

Once home, I tossed it in to soak and promptly forgot about it for a couple of days. Upon fishing it out and taking the toothbrush to it, I noticed that the underside of the tray was completely flat; unlike any other Damaskeene I've ever seen. This prompted a closer look and ... Holy (expletive of your choice)! This is an OC! In a case where neither seller nor buyer knew what they had, blind luck (for me) carries the day.

$IMG_5948.jpg$IMG_5949.jpg$IMG_5950.jpg$IMG_5951.jpg

I'm looking forward to taking her for a spin tomorrow.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
NICE FIND YOU LUCKY Razor hunter , Post us about the shave ,I have been looking for one . Great Find :drool:

Must be a factory defect, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands at no charge to you! :w00t:

That's a beauty bubba, congrats! :thumbup:

Put a second spine underneath the spine of your blade to get the angle more correct. These are mild shavers otherwise. Have a lot of fun! It's a lovely looking set.

Put a second spine underneath the spine of your blade to get the angle more correct. These are mild shavers otherwise. Have a lot of fun! It's a lovely looking set.

The spine on current Gem aluminum spine blades is only about 0.035" thick maximum. Original early blades had spines in the 0.065" to 0.085" range I have measured, depending on brand and age.

The spine on current Gem aluminum spine blades is only about 0.035" thick maximum. Original early blades had spines in the 0.065" to 0.085" range I have measured, depending on brand and age.

... so to get the absolutely correct angle we'd want half of a modern spine underneath.

Top Bottom