What's new

An Old School Gift

Returned from vacation and last night an older gentlemen approached me at church and handed me the below pictured box. He heard I had begun using old razors and had this sitting in a box in the attic.

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

A Kriss Kross stropper that is in very good condition and works well.
A 1917 Single Ring in silver
A Krect Gratiot Spiral with the original leather pouch.
Both razors had 1930 A3 Gillette thin blades in them.
The Krect was made here in Portland, Oregon which is cool to have something from my local area. I may try to clean them up tonight and post the "shiny" pictures.

I have heard the Krect can be a great shaver...I will let you all know how it performs.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
Great things happen to great people!

@ccpastork are going to leave the patina or going the tinfoil baking soda shine?

It is a great and generous gift that I will cherish.
I am planning on giving it the "tinfoil shine" treatment. I haven't looked yet, but did these come in a case?

It is a great and generous gift that I will cherish.
I am planning on giving it the "tinfoil shine" treatment. I haven't looked yet, but did these come in a case?
Mine came in this case. It was bent and I fixed it.

Tried this and it worked. I used the handle from a plastic spoon. Put it through next to hinges and closed it up. Continued to do this working my way down . Actually took several trips up and down , just going on either side of the hinge.

View attachment 540781
View attachment 540782

Thanks for the tip!

Also looks like I need to take care of some tarnish!

Maybe not used since the '30's? His father's?
He did not say Toby, but he is in his late seventies or early eighties so that is very possible. Now that I have a bit more of a connection I am hoping to hear more of his story.

Single rings are nice, but they are (forgive me, TobyC, for I sin) "a dime a dozen."

The somewhat rare Krect Shave razor from the mid 1930's, however, is another story.

It's a mild shaving slant that is well engineered and innovative. Hint: When not in use store it with a shim inside the head. That will keep the head secure and tight.

When shaving, remove the shim. Using a Feather blade probably is your best option if your beard is coarse. Do not shim the Krect Shave razor to make it more aggressive, as that could damage the cam action tightening feature.

I too have the pouch for the Krect Shave razor. I find its somewhat useless as it seems a tad small. If they had made it 10% larger it would be more useful IMO.

Last edited:
two for two bub. The Krect Slant and Single Ring are my two favorite razors.

Coffee and a donut would be a nice gesture of thanks. :302:

Take some baking powder toothpaste and an old toothbrush to the Gillette and be amazed at the transformation.

Last edited:
"Hint: When not in use store it with a shim inside the head. That will keep the head secure and tight."

Just to be clear, if you try to clamp a shim as well as a blade into a Krect, you'll almost certainly irreparably damage a nice vintage razor.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That was a wonderful gift. Take that man for steak and eggs. Congratulations.

Kindly,
Adam

Single rings are nice, but they are (forgive me, TobyC, for I sin) "a dime a dozen."

The somewhat rare Krect Shave razor from the mid 1930's, however, is another story.

It's a mild shaving slant that is well engineered and innovative. Hint: When not in use store it with a shim inside the head. That will keep the head secure and tight.

When shaving, remove the shim. Using a Feather blade probably is your best option if your beard is coarse. Do not shim the Krect Shave razor to make it more aggressive, as that could damage the cam action tightening feature.

I too have the pouch for the Krect Shave razor. I find its somewhat useless as it seems a tad small. If they had made it 10% larger it would be more useful IMO.

I'll give ya a dime for a dozen! I'll even give ya a dime for each one!!!

Top Bottom