What's new

An old article from Corey

Most guys who get into wetshaving do it solely for the quality of the shave. I'm one of these guys -- I hated the shaves I was getting with modern cartridge razors and goo-inna-can, so I tried a bunch of stuff, both moderne (Kiehl's and Aramis Lab Series shaving creams) and old-school (DE razors and traditional English shaving cream), until I hit upon a rig that gave me closer and more comfortable shaves, less irritation, and a greater sense of olfactory pleasure than what you get from Gillette Foamy.

Then there are what I call "shavegeeks". These are the guys who clog the online wetshaving forums and obsess over every aspect of the routine EXCEPT the quality of the shave. To the shavegeeks, everything about shaving is a competition -- which razor ROCKZ, which cream RULEZ, which brush DOMINATES. And there's nothing that typifies the shavegeek mentality more than the stupefying amount of discussion devoted to just how much sheer cubic footage of lather a given shaving cream or soap, or combination thereof, will produce if you mix it all up in a large sized cereal bowl.

Yes, I said a cereal bowl. Right now, there are guys out there whipping up huge mounds of shaving lather in a bowl just like Julia Child used to beat a dozen eggs to make a souffle. I'm not making this up. Just picturing it gives me the willies.

Let's get one thing straight here. If you dunk any decent shaving brush (which means it's made of boar or badger hair and you paid more than ten bucks for it) into a sink of hot water to get it wet, then either swirl it over the top of a hard shaving soap for ten seconds or dip its wet tips into a tub of shaving cream and then swirl the brush around in your other hand's open palm for ten seconds, you will get more than enough perfect shaving lather every time. This is the single easiest move in the entire wetshaving canon. Barely sentient beings do it routinely. It's so not a big deal.

But apparently, it is for the shavegeeks. Go onto the shaving discussion sites and you'll see lazy newbies whining about how they can't get decent lather from this soap or that cream, and then other shavegeeks will chime in with "I used to have the same problem as you, fella, until I started using....a BOWL!"

Here's why: because when you use a bowl instead of the palm of your hand or, even better, a mug, all that extra room means your lather will explode into huge mounds of thick, rich, meringue-like peaks of fluffy white goodness. A dab of shaving cream the size of a quarter and a soaking wet shaving brush will whip up so much lather in a cereal bowl that you'll have enough to shave ten or twenty guys easy.

And this is cool why?

If building up lather in the palm of your hand creates more thick, perfect lather than you could possibly use up in one shave even if you do three or four entire passes, why would you need to make more, unless you somehow equate big gobs of lather with being a big man, etc.? Maybe to a shavegeek, lather = ejaculate, so the more the manlier, etc? But unless you're a horse trying to inseminate another horse, I'm not certain that twenty times the normal amount of ejaculate is a good thing, for anybody involved. Maybe I'm old-fashioned when it comes to this stuff.

I used the bowl method this morning, just to underline my astonishment at this shavegeek fad. I soaked my Vulfix #2235 badger brush in a sink of hot water like I usually do, and I swirled the tips over the top of a tub of Trumper's Violet cream like I usually do, but instead of making the lather in my palm, I beat the brush around and around in the bowl for a good ten, fifteen seconds.

Oh, I got lather. Did I ever. Tons of it. A ridiculous amount. Secretariat couldn't work up this much lather. It was thick, rich, glistening, you name it -- all the good things you want shaving lather to be for the best shave. But it was a disgusting waste. I used maybe a twentieth of the lather in the bowl to shave thrice -- down, up, and once more under the chin -- and then had to dump the rest of the lather into the sink. All that prime, high-end lather, just poured down the drain.

Seriously, if you need to use a bowl to make good usable lather, something's wrong with you. You probably shouldn't be shaving this way. Do you need to use a saw to open an envelope? I just don't understand the shavegeek's obsession with the bowl. It's beyond overkill, and for what?? To Make Lather. Which anyone, even a small child, can easily do just as quickly and easily in the palm of their hand or, if you prefer to keep your hands clean, a mug.

The really gone shavegeeks engage in a lot of embarrassing behavior that makes me shake my head sadly. But so far, their elevation of the cereal bowl to the shavegeek pantheon of accessories to obsess over and titter about like old ladies at a quilting bee -- "Look at the JPG I just posted of my new bowl I bought!" "Wow, where can I get a bowl exactly like that, it's so KEWL! How does it compare latherwise with your other bowls?" -- is the single biggest reason I wonder, late at night when I can't sleep, whether being as interested as I am about shaving automatically makes me a loser.

What kind of reaction do you want? That article is old news. So call me a shave geek, I don't really care.

So if you use your palm (apprently the Corey approved method) then where do you keep it between passes!?:wink:

I'll keep my bowl.

Corey can suck my mounds of big beautiful wasted lather.:biggrin:

I'm generally a lather-on-the-face guy, so I mostly eschew the bowl (except for cold creams like Nancy Boy, or for Proraso, which simply won't dissolve on my face!). But Corey just seems a tad too angry about something that really is a matter of personal taste. If the guys on here are "shavegeeks," I'd say Corey is something of a shave fascist...

The bowl is good and I'm finally converted. How can somebody get so agitated about somebody else using a shaving bowl. I don't like the smell of flowers but I don't call people who use rose or violet soaps "Geeks"

He's crazy... I eat my cereal out of the palm of my hand. And I'll just keep on using my bowl for shaving. Thank you very much.

Each to his own I guess. Sure, I could make my lather directly on my face or on my hand, but there are "nicer" ways of doing it IMO. I much prefer to make more than I need in my Moss Scuttle. That way I get plenty of hot lather, and a free aromatherapy session at the same time - from the fragrances rising from the hot scuttle. :drool:

I'm pretty new here, so I never saw this the first time around, but I think its kind of funny. Making a huge rant about how using a bowl is stupid makes him as much of a "shave geek" as the next! I also found it funny that he said he was wasting later using a bowl. If you get more lather out of the same amount of cream in a bowl vs the hand, its not exactly wasting it. Each to his own I guess. I dont think the term "shave geek" is as insulting as he really meant it to be.

Only a shave geek himself could write such an article.

I wonder why he never speaks up on B&B?

Yeah, ..... that's what I thought as well.

-joedy

Usually, I like what Corey has to say, but considering I just bought my first makeshift scuttle today (Target cereal & prep bowls), I'm going to have to disagree. I don't get a decent lather when I do it on my face, and I feel as thogh I'm wasting my soap when I create one in my mug. Besides, I use both my hands to shave...how else am I going to pull my skin taut?

-Larry

I've said it before and I'll say it again. . .

Why does he care so much about what happens on the shave forums? If he's the one true shavemeister, then why stoop to our lowly, geeky level to read through posts and then throw a hissy fit on his blog?

I just don't get it. . .unless he somehow *needs* our approval, attention, even our anger? Kind of sad. . .

It takes a shavegeek to know another shavegeek! :tongue:

However, I don't stay up nights wondering about the amount of lather I make, waste or don't make- I stay up wondering about my next shave! :wink:

Marty

mrob said:
I just don't get it. . .unless he somehow *needs* our approval, attention, even our anger? Kind of sad. . .

I would like to propose that more than needing our approval, attention or anger he needs to fuel his superiority/inferiority complex. By finding individuals with opinions and preferences that differ from his own and then putting those people down to an audience of thousands (perhaps millions - I don't know) he can make himself feel that he is more "right" and more important... However, you are right about it being sad.

mrob said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. . .

Why does he care so much about what happens on the shave forums? If he's the one true shavemeister, then why stoop to our lowly, geeky level to read through posts and then throw a hissy fit on his blog?

What he needs is readership.

Sure he reached a lot of people.... But when's the last time he's had a national audience?

If you take a look at some of the metrics of internet traffic, his site typically lays dormant until he makes a post, then about a day later (I presume, after someone mentions in the forums that he has a new post) his traffic spikes. Then a few days later, it goes back down to almost nothing. The forums are basically the only venues for advertising he has. B&B and SMF each on average see a lot more activity than shaveblog.

Just food for thought. :wink:

-Nick

Top Bottom