What's new

An ode to the Seiko SNZG17 a fantastic beater watch

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I scrolled through the usual Singapore watch sites and there are still a number of SNZGs out there. They're definitely more expensive than they used to be, but still not silly priced like some discontinued watches get. Now's the time to grab one, if you want one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've got the old version of the Alpinist (SARB017). It is so beautiful that just look at it makes me happy, so even though it is meant to be used as a field watch I don't have the heart to use it as such. I've never seen the new version in person.

that's one of the nicer watches I drooled over online.

Given that I tend to toss around dimes like they are manhole covers, I never ended up getting one.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
One of my favorites is my Seiko Monster. Mine’s an older version. No manual wind and doesn’t hack which might be a blessing so I don’t get anal and set it to my atomic clock. I have a Prospex Padi model too, but hardly wear it. I’m a sucker for the orange face. Seikos are great watches. I have an old automatic that I bought my dad in 1971. It’s got some scratches on the crystal, but it still runs.
368BC96F-1D8B-4109-B76E-8AB0FAC6FCDD.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I've got the old version of the Alpinist (SARB017). It is so beautiful that just look at it makes me happy, so even though it is meant to be used as a field watch I don't have the heart to use it as such. I've never seen the new version in person.
If you ever tire of your “old” Aplinist SARB017, I’m in the market, shoot me an IM. Sometimes... often... older is better than newer (e.g., Swedish-ownership Volvos, late-90s to early-00s Saab 900 convertibles, etc.).

If you ever tire of your “old” Aplinist SARB017, I’m in the market, shoot me an IM. Sometimes... often... older is better than newer (e.g., Swedish-ownership Volvos, late-90s to early-00s Saab 900 convertibles, etc.).
I'm afraid that I'm 100 percent certain that the Alpinist stays with me for as long as I live. I was fortunate enough to discover the Seiko SARB series when it first was released on the Japanese domestic market and got a couple of them. Extraordinary watches and at the time they were great value for the money.
When my father passed away I bought his SAAB 9-5 from my mother. The car was in mint condition, with few miles on the meter and equipped with everything including SAABś most powerful engine. It was a fantastic car until a stressed young man in a delivery van slammed into it only two years later. I replaced it with a German car that's great too, but I still miss the SAAB.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I'm afraid that I'm 100 percent certain that the Alpinist stays with me for as long as I live. I was fortunate enough to discover the Seiko SARB series when it first was released on the Japanese domestic market and got a couple of them. Extraordinary watches and at the time they were great value for the money.
When my father passed away I bought his SAAB 9-5 from my mother. The car was in mint condition, with few miles on the meter and equipped with everything including SAABś most powerful engine. It was a fantastic car until a stressed young man in a delivery van slammed into it only two years later. I replaced it with a German car that's great too, but I still miss the SAAB.
What a wonderful story about the SAAB 9-5 (love to see you use the correct all-caps version). It must have been a joy and honor to drive your dad’s stellar car. I considered a new 9-5 nearly 20 years ago, and have ever since regretted not buying. I also read into your note compassion for the young man who brought a too quick end to your time with the SAAB.

I spent a week in Lagan Sweden, and developed a love for all things Swedish, especially it’s people.

I used to like Seiko. I had the Seiko watch used in one of the James Bond movies although mine didn't have all the extras! LOL Then I got the Seiko which had a 10 year battery life and automatically updated for accuracy and EST/DST changes. It just died one day. Took it to the jeweler to replace the battery but that didn't get it to run. Called Seiko and they wanted $285 to repair it. I bought it new for less than that. That's the last Seiko I ever bought. Using an Apple Watch now.

I dont have a beater watch and a non-beater watch. I wear a Seiko Monster everyday for everything. Its certainly subjected to all kinds of shocks from little to big that can take a toll on a watch. Hardly a week goes by that I don't do something like run a chainsaw, run a brush cutter, operate farm machinery, use impact tools, ride a motorcycle or ATV, or water ski. At least 3 times a week, I shoot clay's. No doubt a 12 gauge's recoil hammers on a wrist watch....Never had a problem.

20210516_124002.jpg

I'm wearing my SNZG (tan version) today. It's survived a broken crystal from a golf ball (off the tee box) and still runs +/- two seconds a day. They're definitely tough watches!

I have an office job, but I live a large part of my life outdoors hiking, climbing, skiing or swimming in the wonderful Swedish nature in general or in the forested nature preserve that I live on the border of. My house is large and require maintenance as does the garden. I always carry a watch. The watches I carry when I am off work must be able to take beating including snow, rain, moist and temperatures varying from plus 30 degrees Centigrade to minus 25 degrees. I don’t take off my watch while swimming or skin diving. The only thing that makes me take of a non work time watch is if I risk getting wet paint on it. In short some of my watches live a rather tough life.

My long time favourite among these watches is the Seiko SNZG17. I have owned it since the model was introduced some ten years ago (I don’t remember exactly when, the years seem to pass by so fast these days). This watch has been with me around the world and has had a very hard life. Up until two years ago the only traces of it was that it had scratches on the clasp, then I was clumsy and managed to get a crack in the glass. The glass was replaced, but the incident worried me. What would I do the day when I finally was able to “kill” this extremely reliable watch? The SNZG series is no longer made. My rather rare PVD coated SNZG17 has not been in production for years, and it is that very watch I want with its really comfortable and PVD coated bracelet. I like black and have always done. The closest option would be a PVD coated Hamilton Khaki 42mm, but the Hamilton is not as sturdy. The SNZG series is as close to being a G-Shock you get, but still being elegant (in my opinion). So, after two years of searching, I found a refurbished SNZG17 for sale by a reliable watch vendor in Singapore that I’ve bought several watches from over the years. I got a message from DHL saying that the watch is on its way. I’ll put it in my safe until I finally "kill" my most beloved beater watch.

I set the time on my SNZG17 about once a week and it has always kept time well. Being just 11mm thick it wears well on the wrist too. Besides from the PVD coating it differs from the standard SNZG series by having lume not only on the hour markers but on the Arabic numerals too. However while the lume on the hour markers last at least nine hours the lume on the numerals fade in “just” an hour or two.

If you like watches and don't want to risk damaging your precious high end watch during physical activities this watch model has my very best recommendations.

View attachment 1239086View attachment 1239087View attachment 1239088
I have an office job, but I live a large part of my life outdoors hiking, climbing, skiing or swimming in the wonderful Swedish nature in general or in the forested nature preserve that I live on the border of. My house is large and require maintenance as does the garden. I always carry a watch. The watches I carry when I am off work must be able to take beating including snow, rain, moist and temperatures varying from plus 30 degrees Centigrade to minus 25 degrees. I don’t take off my watch while swimming or skin diving. The only thing that makes me take of a non work time watch is if I risk getting wet paint on it. In short some of my watches live a rather tough life.

My long time favourite among these watches is the Seiko SNZG17. I have owned it since the model was introduced some ten years ago (I don’t remember exactly when, the years seem to pass by so fast these days). This watch has been with me around the world and has had a very hard life. Up until two years ago the only traces of it was that it had scratches on the clasp, then I was clumsy and managed to get a crack in the glass. The glass was replaced, but the incident worried me. What would I do the day when I finally was able to “kill” this extremely reliable watch? The SNZG series is no longer made. My rather rare PVD coated SNZG17 has not been in production for years, and it is that very watch I want with its really comfortable and PVD coated bracelet. I like black and have always done. The closest option would be a PVD coated Hamilton Khaki 42mm, but the Hamilton is not as sturdy. The SNZG series is as close to being a G-Shock you get, but still being elegant (in my opinion). So, after two years of searching, I found a refurbished SNZG17 for sale by a reliable watch vendor in Singapore that I’ve bought several watches from over the years. I got a message from DHL saying that the watch is on its way. I’ll put it in my safe until I finally "kill" my most beloved beater watch.

I set the time on my SNZG17 about once a week and it has always kept time well. Being just 11mm thick it wears well on the wrist too. Besides from the PVD coating it differs from the standard SNZG series by having lume not only on the hour markers but on the Arabic numerals too. However while the lume on the hour markers last at least nine hours the lume on the numerals fade in “just” an hour or two.

If you like watches and don't want to risk damaging your precious high end watch during physical activities this watch model has my very best recommendations.

View attachment 1239086View attachment 1239087View attachment 1239088
I did not know that the numbers were also lumed. I thought it was just the indices. I've passed it up because of that! Wander if there are any still out there.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I did not know that the numbers were also lumed. I thought it was just the indices. I've passed it up because of that! Wander if there are any still out there.
The only SNZG with lumed numbers is the black PVD-coated version - indeed a very cool watch. The rest, like mine, are indices only.

Top Bottom