What's new

An ode to the Seiko SNZG17 a fantastic beater watch

I have an office job, but I live a large part of my life outdoors hiking, climbing, skiing or swimming in the wonderful Swedish nature in general or in the forested nature preserve that I live on the border of. My house is large and require maintenance as does the garden. I always carry a watch. The watches I carry when I am off work must be able to take beating including snow, rain, moist and temperatures varying from plus 30 degrees Centigrade to minus 25 degrees. I don’t take off my watch while swimming or skin diving. The only thing that makes me take of a non work time watch is if I risk getting wet paint on it. In short some of my watches live a rather tough life.

My long time favourite among these watches is the Seiko SNZG17. I have owned it since the model was introduced some ten years ago (I don’t remember exactly when, the years seem to pass by so fast these days). This watch has been with me around the world and has had a very hard life. Up until two years ago the only traces of it was that it had scratches on the clasp, then I was clumsy and managed to get a crack in the glass. The glass was replaced, but the incident worried me. What would I do the day when I finally was able to “kill” this extremely reliable watch? The SNZG series is no longer made. My rather rare PVD coated SNZG17 has not been in production for years, and it is that very watch I want with its really comfortable and PVD coated bracelet. I like black and have always done. The closest option would be a PVD coated Hamilton Khaki 42mm, but the Hamilton is not as sturdy. The SNZG series is as close to being a G-Shock you get, but still being elegant (in my opinion). So, after two years of searching, I found a refurbished SNZG17 for sale by a reliable watch vendor in Singapore that I’ve bought several watches from over the years. I got a message from DHL saying that the watch is on its way. I’ll put it in my safe until I finally "kill" my most beloved beater watch.

I set the time on my SNZG17 about once a week and it has always kept time well. Being just 11mm thick it wears well on the wrist too. Besides from the PVD coating it differs from the standard SNZG series by having lume not only on the hour markers but on the Arabic numerals too. However while the lume on the hour markers last at least nine hours the lume on the numerals fade in “just” an hour or two.

If you like watches and don't want to risk damaging your precious high end watch during physical activities this watch model has my very best recommendations.

20210316_162315.jpg
20210318_093854.jpg
20210318_094016.jpg

I have a couple Seiko monsters (including the SRP455), a SARB065, a SARB035, and a SNE039. I used to really like Seiko, but since the company changed its pricing model (and business practices), I have become less of a fan. Instead, I am more fond of Orients now. That said, your watch looks really nice! I really like the lume shot.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ll happily join this seiko fan club. that’s a real beautiful watch! Elegant and tough looking. I enjoyed reading your watch style. I know for a fact that dried paint is easily scraped off a stainless watch. 🤣😄 I’m currently loving my 1969 6139. And I’m joining the captain Willard club waiting on dhl now. that will join Bruce Lee 😁 I love seiko new and old. It’s a fantastic brand with a wonderful history.

I have a couple Seiko monsters (including the SRP455), a SARB065, a SARB035, and a SNE039. I used to really like Seiko, but since the company changed its pricing model (and business practices), I have become less of a fan. Instead, I am more fond of Orients now. That said, your watch looks really nice! I really like the lume shot.
My last two watches are made by Orient.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Nice story! I've got the green version of the SNZG and can happily confirm that it is bulletproof. Like you, its my "go to" for outdoor pursuits. I didn't realize that Seiko stopped making them. That's too bad, but I suppose inevitable since it has the older, non-hacking/winding movement. I hope Seiko introduces a new field watch in the Seiko 5 range to replace it. While their at it, how about a new Alpinist? Not everyone wants a desk diver, Seiko. In the meantime, if I had to replace mine, I'd probably grab one of those new Orient Defender 2 models. Sweet looking watches. Don't know how durable they are. The old ones had a good rep. Plus, they have a screw-down crown, which is pretty good for a non-dive watch. And, they have an all-black PVD coated version.

Nice story! I've got the green version of the SNZG and can happily confirm that it is bulletproof. Like you, its my "go to" for outdoor pursuits. I didn't realize that Seiko stopped making them. That's too bad, but I suppose inevitable since it has the older, non-hacking/winding movement. I hope Seiko introduces a new field watch in the Seiko 5 range to replace it. While their at it, how about a new Alpinist? Not everyone wants a desk diver, Seiko. In the meantime, if I had to replace mine, I'd probably grab one of those new Orient Defender 2 models. Sweet looking watches. Don't know how durable they are. The old ones had a good rep. Plus, they have a screw-down crown, which is pretty good for a non-dive watch. And, they have an all-black PVD coated version.
I know Seiko has released Prospex versions of the Alpinist. I'm also pretty sure Seiko has released new versions of the Seiko 5, which new models Seiko fans now call the Sk5 given how Seiko has retooled the Seiko 5 series to look more like the old SKX007 and its kin. Along with these changes have come exorbitant increases in pricing and a garish X on the Prospex line of watches.

tankerjohn

I know Seiko has released Prospex versions of the Alpinist. I'm also pretty sure Seiko has released new versions of the Seiko 5, which new models Seiko fans now call the Sk5 given how Seiko has retooled the Seiko 5 series to look more like the old SKX007 and its kin. Along with these changes have come exorbitant increases in pricing and a garish X on the Prospex line of watches.
Thanks for the update. I saw the new Seiko 5s when they came out and they looked like basically the same dive watch in different colors. Not so much my jam. On the Prospex version of the Alpinist, if you’re talking about the same one I saw, it’s pretty clunky and not at all like the classic lines of the old Alpinist. But it been a while since I really looked at watches, so I’ll have to check it out closer.

Thanks for the update. I saw the new Seiko 5s when they came out and they looked like basically the same dive watch in different colors. Not so much my jam. On the Prospex version of the Alpinist, if you’re talking about the same one I saw, it’s pretty clunky and not at all like the classic lines of the old Alpinist. But it been a while since I really looked at watches, so I’ll have to check it out closer.
I agree entirely, and I am someone who actually loves dive watches! I really dislike how Seiko has given up on its originality and is basically just recycling designs but making them uglier while pricing them higher in the process.

Good to know that I am not the only one who dislikes the X on the Prospex dial, reminds me too much all the eXtreme product branding over the past few decades, things like windows XP. And the logo reminds me too much of X-windows. I assume ProspeX is a play on the word Prospect which makes the X on dial feel all that more contrived. Still it would not totally prevent me from buying one as the logos do fade into the background and maybe I would appreciate it more if I learned more about the branding.

Good to know that I am not the only one who dislikes the X on the Prospex dial, reminds me too much all the eXtreme product branding over the past few decades, things like windows XP. And the logo reminds me too much of X-windows. I assume ProspeX is a play on the word Prospect which makes the X on dial feel all that more contrived. Still it would not totally prevent me from buying one as the logos do fade into the background and maybe I would appreciate it more if I learned more about the branding.
My understanding is that Prospex is a amalgamation and contraction of the terms Professional Specifications (or Pro Specs, for short).

My understanding is that Prospex is a amalgamation and contraction of the terms Professional Specifications (or Pro Specs, for short).
Thanks for the explanation, that does sound a little better. I was just assuming that since the word prospect had something to do with future events, it was related to keeping track of time for that future event. :laugh: Maybe there is some double meaning at play.

I've got the old version of the Alpinist (SARB017). It is so beautiful that just look at it makes me happy, so even though it is meant to be used as a field watch I don't have the heart to use it as such. I've never seen the new version in person.

This SNZG17 was delivered to me by DHL today. It was sold as refurbished, but as you can see it still has most of the protective tape attached to it. It's now placed in my safe where it will remain until either I or my current SNZG17 dies, whatever comes first:sob:.
Now i can go back to treating my beloved SNZG17 as a beater watch without having to worry too much about what might happen:a6:.

20210325_133657 (1).jpg

tankerjohn

I've got the old version of the Alpinist (SARB017). It is so beautiful that just look at it makes me happy, so even though it is meant to be used as a field watch I don't have the heart to use it as such. I've never seen the new version in person.
Awesome! Well, its a gentleman's watch. Refined, with a touch of ruggedness. I feel the same way about my SRPB67 Presage "Sinnko". In the grand scheme of things, its not that expensive. But I'd hate to get it all banged up.

Top Bottom