What's new

An odd occurrence

Well, I was in high school, and I was running my usual 4-mile route out in the country where we lived, when the sideways rain hit. It felt like sand, and I wisely didn't wear a shirt. This was about 2 miles in. The rain had let up for a bit, and suddenly I see a streak of whitish-blue lightning hit the ground about 15 feet to my right, slightly ahead of me. The thunder at that range is deafening. And simultaneous. I took off running, like that would help, and the calmed down and resumed my pace. And couldn't hear for a minute or two.
Just under a mile out from my house, I was running in a section with a lot of power lines, about 5 feet from the street or so. I had to run to either side, because you never knew when some country-boy was gonna come flying through. So another bolt comes down, and hits the box on top of the pole next to me, showering sparks all over the road. This time I hauled *** the rest of the way home. If I was old enough I'd have bought a passel o' lotto tickets.

You def should have gotten someone to buy you those lottery tickets! I thought it was wild that I was in a car that was struck by lightening, but you win! :ouch1:

Mhh.. the precise (!) midnight timing is suspicious. You're really sure there isn't somebody who can have remotely turned it on? Or a timed ignition? Like the light bulb was stripped to a timer. That would be my guess if anything else fails.

Mhh.. the precise (!) midnight timing is suspicious. You're really sure there isn't somebody who can have remotely turned it on? Or a timed ignition? Like the light bulb was stripped to a timer. That would be my guess if anything else fails.

A timer? It wasn't plugged in!

there are lots of odd happenings out there.i've experienced a few of them ,just chalk it up to "other".i think when they happen in your home they add character.:biggrin:
as for the fuss earlier about "ignorant".i've seen idiots on both sides of the supernatural scene.i've seen the gullible who will believe anything and i've seen the skeptic who would dismiss anything out of hand.both are idiots.people need to have a challenging,inquiring mind.my 2 cents.

I'm no doctor, but if you have some kind of insomnia, is it possible you are slightly or even badly sleep deprived? This could lead to hallucinations. I have terrible trouble falling (and staying) asleep, and sometimes I am lying there and begin snoring while being completely unaware of it. I know this because my wife proceeds to notify me with a book to the head! But I feel totally conscious and aware, but obviously I am not in full control of my faculties. Perhaps you had some microsleep episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsleep) that could have played a part- it says sleep deprived individuals can experience these. Again, I'm no doctor, but anything's possible- I was so sleep deprived for so long, I accepted my normal operating mode as, well, normal!

Sleep wierdnesses have accounted for the only true 'paranormal' experiences of my life. Mainly, sometimes when I wake up I can see the room I am in, coupled with elements of the dream I was just having- the whole room seems to be in 'super slo-mo,' and if I wave my hand in front of my face I can't see it. Obviously some element of my 'sleep mind state' was not ending on cue as I woke up. If you had some short sleep episode, perhaps this phenomenon was responsible. But I have had wierd experiences I chalked up to the same phenomenon:

I was spending the night in some skeezy hotel, and had already been wierded out by several out of normal things about the room. In the middle of the night, I awoke in a panic because I felt the distinct impression of some animal walking on the bed next to me. It was pitch black, and I slowly reached over and turned on the light- nothing there! I explain the experience as this- I have two cats, and the 'walking up the bed' feeling I get when they do this was exactly the same. I must have woken up while not completely waking up, and some random neuron firing brought that into my brain as I woke up.

I'm not saying I think that's what happened to you, but just offering a possible explanation. I don't know if sleep related things could account for this, but who knows?

I don't usually 'believe' in the paranormal, but neither do I disbelieve in it. If I had your experience, it would make me wonder.

Both your stories are pretty compelling. Have you come up with any explanation for the light incident? My guess is that you'll never get to any kind of satisfying resolution. You've already eliminated obvious possibilities and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go from here. Personally, I kind of like the lack of a final explanation to things.

Well, I was in high school, and I was running my usual 4-mile route out in the country where we lived, when the sideways rain hit. It felt like sand, and I wisely didn't wear a shirt. This was about 2 miles in. The rain had let up for a bit, and suddenly I see a streak of whitish-blue lightning hit the ground about 15 feet to my right, slightly ahead of me. The thunder at that range is deafening. And simultaneous. I took off running, like that would help, and the calmed down and resumed my pace. And couldn't hear for a minute or two.
Just under a mile out from my house, I was running in a section with a lot of power lines, about 5 feet from the street or so. I had to run to either side, because you never knew when some country-boy was gonna come flying through. So another bolt comes down, and hits the box on top of the pole next to me, showering sparks all over the road. This time I hauled *** the rest of the way home. If I was old enough I'd have bought a passel o' lotto tickets.

You are one lucky man, and that sounded like one heck of a night. :eek:

I'm no doctor, but if you have some kind of insomnia, is it possible you are slightly or even badly sleep deprived? This could lead to hallucinations.

Hey, it's possible. Like I said though, I seriously doubt I imagined the whole thing. Being an insomniac since the age of nine, I just think that if I was to have hallucinated something by now it would have been during one of those stretches where I went three days without sleep, not one where I had eight hours sleep the night before.

Both your stories are pretty compelling. Have you come up with any explanation for the light incident? My guess is that you'll never get to any kind of satisfying resolution. You've already eliminated obvious possibilities and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go from here. Personally, I kind of like the lack of a final explanation to things.

Yeah, I doubt that I will ever find a plausible, testable answer. There's so many possibilities, and some of them sound so bizarre it would take a bigger leap of faith to explain than simply blaming a ghost.

I don't like not having an answer, but I guess if you could explain away everything in the universe so readily, there wouldn't be much to talk about. :wink:

Top Bottom