What's new

An introduction to the Heljestrand No.24 and the Hellberg 42.

I must admit they do look better with original scales as they are not modern, And I do the same as @Polarbeard buy scrap razors as doner razors if I need spares.

But the choice is yours, Sir!!! As it is meant as a tool to shave with.

Last edited:
Thanks to Polarbeard, I am now enjoying this wonderful little razor.

So handy under the nose. First time with a small razor, and I really like it.

The first photo shows how small it is.

The second photo shows the jnat edge that Doc226 put on it. You can see the misty kasumi finish that the jnats give.

IMG_1108.jpg

Heljestrand No 24.jpg

Woo-hoo!
I have now joined the club of Heljestrand owners! It wasn’t the best-looking one on eBay, but possibly the cheapest. I was actually pretty pleased with the good condition of most of the metal compared to the edge. Honewear at the spine was nearly non-existent on one side, though more noticeable on the other side. The notch was a bit bigger than I had estimated, perhaps 0.5mm deep. Definitely a job for my Shapton Pro 320. Not in a hurry, I knew this would be a project, but definitely looks doable. Officially this would be a 4/8 No. 24, it is 0.53” from spine to edge. I’ve read this described as “near wedge” but to my inexpert eye it appears to be more of a 1/4 hollow. Which is good given the work I have in front of me!
183A99FF-72BE-49F6-ACB9-2B9DC7FC0644.jpeg
904F103C-C4C3-45F6-BE0F-9AC661E26F3B.jpeg

The case looks original - very different from the leather coffin boxes I am used to seeing. Don’t think it shows up in the photos, but when seen in person one can just barely read “C.V.HELJESTRAND ESKILSTUNA M K” (there is a big space between M and K can’t make out what was there originally)

I was so careless that I missed this thread.
Here is mine, one of my favorite razor No.24 without MK.
I don't know it's a 4/8 or worn-out 5/8(spine wear may talk), I think "Nimble" is a very appropriate adjective for this type of razor.
I made the scale from a slab of buffalo horn.
DSCN7518.JPGDSCN7520.JPGDSCN7478.JPG

I was so careless that I missed this thread.
Here is mine, one of my favorite razor No.24 without MK.
I don't know it's a 4/8 or worn-out 5/8(spine wear may talk), I think "Nimble" is a very appropriate adjective for this type of razor.
I made the scale from a slab of buffalo horn.
View attachment 1217941View attachment 1217942View attachment 1217943
It has pitting, but otherwise it's a more or less pristine 4/8. The 5/8 version most often has "5/8" stamped on the tang.

It has pitting, but otherwise it's a more or less pristine 4/8. The 5/8 version most often has "5/8" stamped on the tang.
Thank you for useful information!
This razor has pitting here and there, but luckily, there were only a very shallow pitting near the edge.

I have finally got a Heljestrand. I found it browsing the internet, and it arrived from Sweden today. IMG_20210806_083513.jpgIMG_20210806_083531.jpg
It does say 5/8 on the tang.

I took a chance as the photos were not the best. The razor is in much better condition that I anticipated, and I almost feel guilty for paying what I did.

I'll sanitise the blade and give it a spin tomorrow. It treetops right out of the box. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Am I to understand the "Sculpta" is a late version of the 24?

I'm kind of vacillating between the 4/8 and 5/8 versions of the 23 and 24. I think overall I like a 5/8 razor better but I have a lot of 5/8 razors and I'm always looking for something "interesting." I know, buy one of each. LOL.

I saw a stainless version on the auction site as well.... any opinions on how the steel compares to the standard?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Would it be sacrilegious to put some funky kirinite scales on it?
I have several with “fancy” scales and while they are beautiful my experience is that they affect the balance of the razor. I find myself using razors with original scales more often than the acrylic type more often.

Thanks @Polarbeard for all the info! I’m enjoying more wedge style razors and the 24 seems to be the logical choice. Found these two for a great price on the auction site, tossed in a low bid an won them. It appears they are the 5/8 variant, later in production for sure. View attachment 1442201View attachment 1442202View attachment 1442203View attachment 1442204
I watched the last few minutes of that and said to myself, I hope somebody on B&B got it. I was sure there was going to be sniper, but sometimes you get lucky. Hope you enjoy them, sounds like they were actually used by the previous owner.

Nice pick-up, @Luecke2326 . I was going back and forth about bidding on those...fortunately for both of our pocketbooks I was driving when the auction ended.

I watched the last few minutes of that and said to myself, I hope somebody on B&B got it. I was sure there was going to be sniper, but sometimes you get lucky. Hope you enjoy them, sounds like they were actually used by the previous owner.
Thank you gentlemen. I did see something I’ve never seen before and I wasn’t sure it was even possible. I wasn’t the highest bid! About an hour before it closed, I got outbid, but a few minutes later the bid was retracted! I didn’t know this was a thing??? 😂 I’ve bought cracked and chipped razors which I noticed were damaged after excitedly tossing a bid. Then I set there and watch the days and hours tick down and eventually win a broken crusty razor(I haven’t done this in years though). It would have been nice to know!
B763FC80-6B44-4B2A-9ADD-8B1DBB0D6BD3.jpeg

I was tempted by those. The MK24 5/8 is a fantastic razor. Hope you enjoy them.

I had the same thing happen where a bid was retracted leaving me the highest bidder when I bought my first razor.

Top Bottom